Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tuolumne campground reservation question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne campground reservation question
March 15, 2013 07:33AM
So this morning was the mad scramble for reservations for early August. While ready to go at the bell at 7:00am sharp, having not done it before I was little slow on the gun and wasn't able to get the full 3 nights I wanted, only the first two nights (the third being a Friday night). So, here's my question: Since half the campground is first-come-first-serve, once I arrive, check in and secure my campsite, what is the procedure for extending for the third night? Can I do it when I arrive? Do I have to get up really early in the morning and stand in line with everyone on the third day to try to extend my site or get another site (of course would prefer not to have to move, as we have a tent)? Any insight or strategy appreciated.
Also, I prefer a tent-only site, but my slowness on the reservation led me to only being able to get a site that accommodates a trailer/RV because the tent-only sites were snatched before I could get one. Will the rangers let me take a tent-only site when I arrive or will I have to go to a trailer site per my reservation?
Thanks!
avatar Re: Tuolumne campground reservation question
March 15, 2013 07:48AM
I've only camped there either in the backpackers camp, or in a site one night prior to backpacking, so I can't answer the first question.

As for the second, you indicated your actual "equipment" on the reservation form so presumably they know you have a tent, they'll assign a site when you arrive (unlike other Yosemite campgrounds, at Tuolumne you're not making a site-specific reservation).
Re: Tuolumne campground reservation question
March 15, 2013 04:23PM
Don't know if this helps, but.........

Beginning July 2013 the extension policy for campers who have already checked in to the Tuolumne Campground will be changed. Campers will only be allowed to extend their stay before their day of departure if an advance reservation is available. If one is not available, campers should return to the office on their day of departure to inquire about the availability of a first-come, first-serve site.

I found this on the bottom of the page of the "change reservation details." I logged in to our account to make sure that we really did get lucky this morning and got a group site.

Or.....Contact Information:
Phone Number:
Information: (209)372-4025

Mailing Address:
TUOLUMNE MEADOWS
PO BOX 577
Yosemite National Park CA 95389
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login