Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Anyone one been to Little Lake?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Anyone one been to Little Lake?
March 16, 2013 01:18PM
I've seen Little Lake acknowledged in a few threads here and there, but am wondering if anyone's been to it lately? The 15' shows a trail going by it, but from what I gathered from an old thread on another site, it's not much of a trail anymore.
avatar Re: Anyone one been to Little Lake?
March 16, 2013 03:37PM
KC
I've seen Little Lake acknowledged in a few threads here and there, but am wondering if anyone's been to it lately? The 15' shows a trail going by it, but from what I gathered from an old thread on another site, it's not much of a trail anymore.
Have you got links to any thread referencing Little Lake?
I've done the trail by Barney a few times and can say that I've had no inclination to slog up the 1500' to Little Lake. I don't think there ever was a trail. One could get there from Twin Lakes in a day though but the reward would have to be substantial. Coming in from the west would require more time.

Old Dude
March 16, 2013 06:28PM
So here is how it works: mention an abandoned trail on this forum, maybe toss in something about having seen a hint of it, maybe post an obscure photo hinting at some rock work, then wait... Guaranteed you will have a picture of it here, partially obscured by a pink chicken, in a matter of weeks once the passes are open :-)

That said, I do not remember seeing any hint of it--the junction would have been in a brushy/aspeny area if I recall...
March 16, 2013 07:09PM
If you look under option 3, there's some information on the trail. Doesn't sound like it's too well maintained. I'm just planning a trip for this summer and got curious. I don't know when or where, but I saw a thread where it was discussed some time ago. Sounded like an interesting though more-trouble-than-its-worth type short cut to get from Barney Lake to the South Fork of Buckeye Creek.

And more interesting information here. Sounds like it hasn't been a legitimate trail, if it ever was, for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 07:44PM by KC.
March 17, 2013 09:25AM
The climbers wanting to do Hawksbeak used that route as a shortcut and Little Lake just happened to be a landmark. I'd leave it up to Chick-on to see if the trip up from Barney is worth it. Climbers do insane approaches.

Old Dude
March 19, 2013 02:34PM
mrcondron
The climbers wanting to do Hawksbeak used that route as a shortcut and Little Lake just happened to be a landmark. I'd leave it up to Chick-on to see if the trip up from Barney is worth it. Climbers do insane approaches.

Now I know how you and chick-on will finish out the August hike. I'll camp at Peeler while you guys slog on up the South Fork for the night and take on Little Lake the next day. Bet I'll still beat you back to Twin Lakes. I've been looking at that route myself but those sqigggly little contour lines are too close together for too far on both sides of the hump.
March 19, 2013 03:31PM
tomdisco
mrcondron

Now I know how you and chick-on will finish out the August hike. I'll camp at Peeler while you guys slog on up the South Fork for the night and take on Little Lake the next day. Bet I'll still beat you back to Twin Lakes. I've been looking at that route myself but those sqigggly little contour lines are too close together for too far on both sides of the hump.

Hehehe... uh... I'll buy you a steak dinner if Mike goes to Little Lake.

But challenge accepted on the beating you back to Twin Lakes... well... if I don't get lazy and just lounge at Peeler.
Def. have to explore border from Buckeye to Peeler though. Def. won't be heading down the South Fork though.
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 19, 2013 05:53PM
Peeler's another of those lakes I consider great for swimming (I like lounging rocks with quick access to deep water).
March 20, 2013 06:47AM
One word: Shrinkage

March 18, 2013 07:23AM
basilbop
So here is how it works: mention an abandoned trail on this forum, maybe toss in something about having seen a hint of it, maybe post an obscure photo hinting at some rock work, then wait... Guaranteed you will have a picture of it here, partially obscured by a pink chicken, in a matter of weeks once the passes are open :-)

That said, I do not remember seeing any hint of it--the junction would have been in a brushy/aspeny area if I recall...

My original thought was... nope. But looking at the sat.... it looks like a sweet little lake.
It's not in the park so haven't been to this named lake.
Maybe come August will go up there. tongue sticking out smiley

Been up Hawksbeak... 2nd photo here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,40408,40408#msg-40408

One of the links above poo poos Buckeye.. it's all about timing...
Robinson can be purty darn hot too...

Have fun KC

March 19, 2013 03:13PM
It may be time to expand your quest to touch em all to lakes in the Emigrant....you know how big a proponent of the Emigrant I am.
March 19, 2013 03:40PM
oakroscoe
It may be time to expand your quest to touch em all to lakes in the Emigrant....you know how big a proponent of the Emigrant I am.
Truth is.. I was going to say I am much more interested in going to Big Lake before Little Lake. (Especially with Ye Old Trail Boat!)
Don't worry... I already started expanding last year on ill-fated camera trip attempt up thru Cherry Bomb...
Hyatt/Pingree/Kole/Leighton/Karls/Red Can/Wood/Lower Buck/Cow Meadow/Letora/Olive/Huckleberry all checked...
(that was a long day)

Actually been thinking about Hyatt a lot lately.. and Edith... and Bernice... and... sigh...

March 19, 2013 04:07PM
I do love Big Lake. Its quite pretty and if you go that far, you might as well see Yellowhammer and the Ranger's secret getaway ranch. Hyatt was a pretty lake as well. I do like that area that you were talking about, Red Can etc, you can knock a lot of lakes out quickly...
March 19, 2013 08:08PM
Eh, Big Lake? Everyone knows Little Lake is the place to be.

Don't feel like sifting through all the maps right now, but it is interesting that the trail does not appear on the 1939 reprint Bridgeport 15' quad but does appear on the 1956 Matterhorn Peak 15' quad. I always wonder when I see this kind of stuff why surveyors chose to mark some seemingly unofficial trails--I'm assuming Little Lake wasn't a hotspot in the 50s--over others.
March 20, 2013 06:41AM
Hmmph. Little Lake is so 1950's. Big Lake is ware itz at.
Not to make ur itty bitty lake feel insignificant... but Big is "only" 24x Little.
Super Size is da way to go.

Got granite? Big Lake baby!

Anywho. Have fun. Ur just enticing me to go now. Thanks. (and by now I do not mean NOW) (Aug)
And wth! 1918 Yosemite Map on ur link is like Princetons! AWESOME! Thanks

What else u holding back dangit?

Edit: O... btw... there's a gazillion trails on old maps no longer maintained. some lasted a long time... others not so.
after they put the trail past Barney to Peeler... then no need for the Little Lake trail.
You don't need no trail up there anyway.... just blast away!
Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 06:43AM by chick-on.
March 19, 2013 07:28PM
chick-on
basilbop

My original thought was... nope. But looking at the sat.... it looks like a sweet little lake.

What, not tempted to revisit Peeler to look for evidence that it was raised artificially, before which it had only one outlet...? :-)
March 20, 2013 06:46AM
basilbop
What, not tempted to revisit Peeler to look for evidence that it was raised artificially, before which it had only one outlet...? :-)
Shhh... I was being nice and not telling Bearpoof that they raised the lake when they put the trail in.
Still feel kinda bad for the two-tents I put him thru. (not)

Got permits if u want to join btw.

March 25, 2013 07:20AM
basilbop

That's just hurtfull crying

Sometimes it takes months

(but I truly thank ewe basilblop)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login