Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: So what are your plans for the summer?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar So what are your plans for the summer?
March 19, 2013 03:10PM
It's that glorious time of the year again, no not spring training, but when the snow starts to melt and everyone sets up their plans for the summer. Where is everyone planning on going?

First on my list is Edith Lake. I've talked to Chick-on about it extensively, and it seems every time I've shot out for it something weird has happened and I couldn't make it. Next on the list is an attempt at the JMT in July. After that I just want to work as little as possible and spend as many nights in the backcountry as possible.
March 19, 2013 05:47PM
I plan to spend the summer turning the legs into steel springs
so that when I get to the park in September, the miles will
be effortless.

5 1/2 months and counting.
March 19, 2013 07:39PM
Summer summer summertime,
Hike to Watkins with some wine.
Top of Red Peak will be fine
Trek to Florence with fowl kind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 07:41PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
March 19, 2013 07:47PM
Going to spend some time in Yosemite and hopefully will get to explore some of the old roads that I have been reading about. Possibly a trip to San Francisco to see friends and then up the coast and stop and see the parks along the way. My husband and I did that trip way before our son was born and we want him to see that area.
avatar Re: So what are your plans for the summer?
March 19, 2013 09:53PM
thinking about going to grand canyon for a while but it's still too early to tell for sure. I'm definitely going to make a goal to visit some fun places. as far as being in yosemite goes, I'm planning on hiking quite a bit of the tuolumne area, and also hiking the wilderness in the south eastern part of the park also.
March 20, 2013 06:49AM
Edith.

Tomorrow

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 20, 2013 06:58AM
chick-on
Edith.

Tomorrow

Can you have your (sponge) cake and Edith too?
March 20, 2013 07:53AM
Bearproof

That's awesome!

At the end of July my wife and I are doing the Lyell/Vogelsang/Rafferty Loop. Spreading it out over 4 days / 3 nights so we can relax and just enjoy the surroundings. Her: Reading/Sketching/Watercolors Me: Pestering my piscatorial brethren with my fly rod. No other permits or reservations, just loose plans for a few nights here and there.
March 20, 2013 07:42PM
Bearproof
chick-on
Edith.

Tomorrow

Actually I'm just gonna Edith the sponge cake.

(wuz just trying to get a rise outta oak)

I don't divulge my plans. I don't want to get home and see a bunch of solar panels on my house.

Although seriously considering a sabatical. (** from what is the question though)

March 21, 2013 07:54PM
chick-on

(wuz just trying to get a rise outta oak)

You succeeded.
March 22, 2013 04:08PM
I can only get so much vacation time off of work so I have a limit on how much I can plan, but . . .

1 week backpacking in Yosemite, don't know for sure but I'm thinking:
Lyell Canyon/Glacier/Mt
1 day up the canyon to the base of the headwall, 1 day up the headwall to the plateau at the base of the glacier, 2 days exploring the area, 1 day out

1 week Mt Whitney area
2 ideas I'm thinking about doing
Main Trail - 1 day to Outpost, 1 day to Trail Camp and beyond to the lakes behind/north of Wotan's Throne, 2 days exploring area, 1 day out via valley north of Wotan's to Mirror Lake to the Main Trail and out.
or
Mountaineers trail - 1 day to Upper Boy Scout Lake, 1 day to Iceberg Lake, 2 days exploring area, 1 day out

(Yes, I'm a super slowpoke, my only possible excuse is the 20# of camera gear)
March 20, 2013 07:31AM
Half Dome in June-July with my 10 year old - (All of my three daughters will now have climbed Half-Dome - It's kind of like a rite of passage in the family now - After this time, I doubt I'll climb it again since there are so many other hikes that I think are better)

This August, I will start the JMT with my Father in Law and 15 year old daughter - First leg from the Valley to Reds Meadow - Plan on completing the entire trail over the next three to four years

Can't wait - Permit reservations are in hand - Let's go!
March 20, 2013 09:22AM
Doing a section of the JMT in mid-August. I'm hoping that the meadows will still be green but the skeeters will be gone. Starting at Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, four days, three nights. First backpacking trip in many years and I'm doing several local hikes every week to train. I may do an overnight up to Young Lakes as a shake down cruise and do a day hike to Shadow Lake to scout out the trail.
March 20, 2013 01:15PM
Hiking from from Walker Lake, up Bloody Canyon, and backpacking across to (hopefully) Glacier point, and down to the valley.

HD on the way through, because I may as well seeing as I am walking past it.

Cathedral lakes trailhead, and Bloody Canyon trailhead permits secured, just waiting on HD now!

But before that, lots more hikes to build fitness in the Peak District, and Wales, here in the UK

Steve
March 20, 2013 01:17PM
Heading out to southern Utah - Zion, Bryce, North Rim - for the first time at the end of May.
Also planning on going to the high country during the July 4th week and hopefully get back up there a couple of other times later in the summer as well.
March 20, 2013 01:27PM
I'm taking the family to Hawaii at the beginning of summer and then going to this crazy party in the desert at the very end. So most of my vacations days are spoken for.

I'll try and squeeze out a couple of weekends up in the high country when I can. It feels kind of strange that I don't have anything planned...

A trip to Mt. Dana is high on my list!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
March 20, 2013 02:30PM
Chilnualna for memorial day. Lyell canyon to thousand island lake and back over 4th of july (snow/girlfriend permitting) then Glen Aulin to Whitewolf in september!
March 20, 2013 04:20PM
Plans? I doan need no stinkin' plans.
March 20, 2013 11:12PM
eeek
Plans? I doan need no stinkin' plans.

Dang Claw...temper temper...tongue sticking out smiley

March 20, 2013 08:24PM
Merced Grove with the Fam >75 to <5 ....any advice?
March 20, 2013 09:21PM
boomtown

Mariposa Grove

(there's one of those shuttle bus-ie type thingies if someone decides don't wanna hike so much)

March 21, 2013 03:22PM
boomtown

Go slow. Let people spread out but have a sweeper and do a head count at the end unless there is one you want to lose.

Old Dude
March 20, 2013 10:27PM
Going to do the JMT with my wife in August, 20 days to make it nice and peaceful for her. Staying in Tuolomne Meadows prior and warming up on Clouds Rest. Looking forward to it. Besides that, continue working on the 14er's and Emblem Peaks smiling smiley
March 20, 2013 11:41PM
ha! that was a good clip
March 21, 2013 04:21AM
Was going to do the northern part of the Yosemite wilderness but have now changed to doing the John Muir Trail thru-hike from HI-WP with my 3 sons. Going to take 26 days in June/ July to fully enjoy! Ready and waiting........
March 21, 2013 06:43AM
oakroscoe
I just want to work as little as possible and spend as many nights in the backcountry as possible.

I just want to work as little as possible and spend as many nights in the backcountry as possible.

Mentioned this before... but it's just a passion/obsession... been ever since started ... long before
Al Gore invented the internet. Been doing some dayhiking around Bay Area on weekends haven't
gone this year so far... Big Basin, Grant Ranch, but all I think about on a daily basis is my
beloved Sierra.

I hope you all have all have some great adventures this year. Report back what you did.
Complete with pictures. Or at least a few.

Have fun out der (and LNT peas)

March 21, 2013 06:18PM
Great question!

I'm renting a condo in Mammoth for all of June and July. I'm gambling that Tioga will be open, the snowpack will remain low and hiking will be possible from June onwards. Last year I was able to hike from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise Camp on May 27 with almost no snow!

So oodles and oodles of Yosemite hiking for me this summer. Counting down the days.
March 22, 2013 08:12AM
June: Texas to...Sequoia for two days....then on to Yosemite for hiking (Panorama Trail, North Dome then down Yosemite Falls back to the valley, Taft/Sentinel, Lembert Dome, 4 Mile maybe), floating on the Merced, biking the valley, campfires, etc....then to Vegas before heading back to Texas.

September: Texas to...Chaco Canyon Nat'l Mon....then to Silverton, CO for 4 days of four-wheeling....then on to the Grand Canyon to hike to the bottom, staying at Phantom Ranch for two nights.
March 22, 2013 02:25PM
August:
7 days/6 nights on modified loop in northern Yosemite, including a couple days off-trail. Got good company.
Couple days of day hiking, including Mt. Hoffman.
3 days/2 nights to Matthes Lake, Merced Lake, exiting Happy Isles.
Backpacker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 02:27PM by tomdisco.
March 22, 2013 03:21PM
Lower Grays meadow campground out of Independence mid week, first week of April, for some trout fishing (solo trip for me). Lower Pines c.g. second week of May for 4 days with the family and the travel trailer. Mid-June for a few days in Upper Pines campground with my daughter (who can't go in May). These valley camping trips are lazy family camping trips with walks (maybe as far as Vernal falls bridge) and lots of bike riding (we bring our own), and campfires, etc. Then a huge family and friends trip to Mono Village (upper Twin Lake out of Bridgeport) for the first two weeks of August (rental cabin this time). Then a couple of more solo trips for me around Lee Vining Creek and Robinson Creek for some more trout fishing in the early fall (camping).
March 22, 2013 07:39PM
Spending a week in June in Lower Pines. Hoping to finally do Half Dome if we win the lottery. Definitely hiking to Hidden Falls (thanks to the great folks on this forum for the directions) Hopefully headed to Cabo San Lucas in July then Twin Lakes Campground near Mammoth in early August. We have never been to Twin Lakes so if anyone has any input I would love to hear it.
March 23, 2013 05:43PM
shaunsmomo
Spending a week in June in Lower Pines. Hoping to finally do Half Dome if we win the lottery. Definitely hiking to Hidden Falls (thanks to the great folks on this forum for the directions) Hopefully headed to Cabo San Lucas in July then Twin Lakes Campground near Mammoth in early August. We have never been to Twin Lakes so if anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Regarding Twin Lakes, are you in the upper portion, or the lower portion (along the lake), or across the bridge that goes between the lakes? Its a really nice area and due to the high elevation it'll be wonderful during the days and fairly (very) cool at night. Lots of bear activity. The town of Mammoth Lakes, along with a Forest Service grant, put in a really nice paved bike/pedestrian path from where you are up to Lake Mary and Lake Mamie and Horseshoe Lake, and also back down to the town of Mammoth Lakes(quite and elevation climb from Mammoth back up to Twin Lakes).
March 25, 2013 08:27AM
I think we are near the top of the first loop when you come in the campground. There weren't many spaces left when we decided to go and having never been there before we grabbed what we could. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the site is fairly level.
March 22, 2013 11:09PM
Memorial Weekend: 3 days, Happy Isles up to the Merced River valley
August: 8 days, Rae Lakes Loop Plus
Labor Day Weekend: 3 days, Ten Lakes (prob thru hike to May Lake)

Can't wait for summer!
March 23, 2013 06:06AM
Trips to Santa Cruz Mountains, Kaiser Wilderness, Dinkey Wilderness, John Muir Wilderness, Ansel Adams Wilderness, and Yose and SEKI. Possibly Sespe Wilderness. All backpacking, except the two car camper base camps. 2 - 5 days each. Taking adults, kids, newbies, oldbies, and everyone in between.

Half Dome, pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Going to Big Bird Lake, Moose Lake, Mitchell Peak, Silliman Peak, Alta Peak, winter Alta, Deadman Canyon, and a zillion other high places. Also going to Tehipite, middle and north forks of the Kings and all forks of the San Joaquin, couple forks of the Kaweah, bunch of streams west and the Pacific Ocean.

Might get to Desolation.

Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall. Do it again next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 06:07AM by AlmostThere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login