All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Guess Tioga Road Opening Date
March 24, 2013 09:29AM
Just for fun a little guessing game. The park service says that plowing starts around April 15 and provides background info including past years opening dates here.

Right now it looks like it will be even earlier than last year, my guess is Friday May 3rd.

I hope I am wrong though and that we get another couple of wet storms coming through.
avatar Re: Guess Tioga Road Opening Date
March 24, 2013 03:56PM
Lassen NP has already started plowing.

Lassen NP Plowing
Re: Guess Tioga Road Opening Date
March 24, 2013 04:28PM
KatyAnderson
Just for fun a little guessing game. The park service says that plowing starts around April 15 and provides background info including past years opening dates here.

Right now it looks like it will be even earlier than last year, my guess is Friday May 3rd.

I hope I am wrong though and that we get another couple of wet storms coming through.

May 10. Hopefully, because I'll be in the Valley that week and would like to cross over to Lee Vining Creek and north to Robinson Creek to do some trout fishing.
March 24, 2013 04:44PM
The plowing is easy. It's the repairs that usually cause the delays. May 3rd, if no major repairs, sounds good.
March 24, 2013 10:25PM
i'll guess may 1st
March 25, 2013 09:03AM
marmot
i'll guess may 1st
From my feeble memory I seem to remember that the opening is usually on a Friday. Admin traffic can start a few days earlier.
March 25, 2013 01:50PM
Don't they also open it to cyclists a day or two earlier?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 25, 2013 03:29PM
balzaccom

Yup.
March 28, 2013 06:41PM
mtn man
balzaccom

Yup.

More like "sometimes".
March 25, 2013 07:18AM
Waiting for Hiker Chicky to report...

Then steal her date.

tongue sticking out smiley

The plows were waiting and willing at Chinquapin ... and one was MIA on Sunday.
(maybe it started without da udder too) ???

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 29, 2013 12:25PM
didn't dey open on Monday last year? (Hey, where did I suddenly get spell check from?) I know they opened on Saturday in 2010 (just before we arrived, trailer in tow...)
March 30, 2013 12:01PM
I'm guessing that the snow will be plowed after the Ice goes out on the Nenana Ice Classic.

Tioga snow on May 15th, Nenana River Ice out in April 29 at 2:17pm

http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/
March 31, 2013 09:38AM
I heard, I think through a park service employee I know, that they will not be plowing this year, AT ALL.

Sequestration cuts.

So, it will be a melt out.
April 01, 2013 07:05PM
Right, April Fool!
April 01, 2013 08:53PM
Nope, that's what I heard a couple of weeks ago.
April 04, 2013 09:47PM
Ken M
I heard, I think through a park service employee I know, that they will not be plowing this year, AT ALL.

Sequestration cuts.

So, it will be a melt out.
That might not be so bad. I usually out that road the day it opens, or the day before. I see no snow on the road or close to it. What's there looks like it could be done in one swipe by one plow. The problem spot, the one that causes the delays, is at Olmsted Point. I wonder if they have enough money to send someone up there with some charcoal to spread out on the snow? I'd bet I could get a group of volunteers to do it for free.
April 05, 2013 12:42AM
Dave
I'd bet I could get a group of volunteers to do it for free.

But they probably wouldn't let them do it.
April 05, 2013 08:38AM
eeek
Well.... with all these budget cuts they are going to have to let volunteers do more than just pull weeds or pick up trash.
April 05, 2013 08:51AM
They are going to plow starting May 15 instead of April 15. Since the snow pack is half of what it usually is, that delay might not affect anything. If there is any snow left on May 15 it should be enough for one truck to clear in one pass. I'm sure they'll open it sooner if the snow is off the road.
April 05, 2013 09:07AM
They still have to deal with the tree debris and rock falls during and after plowing. Does that not usually take another week?
April 05, 2013 10:33AM
They can take care of most of that while the snow at the higher elevations is melting.
April 05, 2013 04:21PM
Dave
They are going to plow starting May 15 instead of April 15. Since the snow pack is half of what it usually is, that delay might not affect anything. If there is any snow left on May 15 it should be enough for one truck to clear in one pass. I'm sure they'll open it sooner if the snow is off the road.

Is this a "for sure" statement based on positive official statements? I'm trying to figure out if there's a chance I can get over the pass on the 10th of May. Inform me...
April 05, 2013 04:51PM
mtn man
Is this a "for sure" statement based on positive official statements? I'm trying to figure out if there's a chance I can get over the pass on the 10th of May. Inform me...
Yes, it is a "for sure" statement. They will start plowing, if needed, on May 15, five days after the day you plan on going. The snow might have melted by then. I cannot say "officially" but it would only seem logical that they would open the road if the snow has melted off before the 15th - and all the needed repairs have been made. How many trees are down, rock slides, and frozen culverts, need attention is something no one knows until they can get up there. You might get lucky.
April 06, 2013 08:50AM
Dave
mtn man
Yes, it is a "for sure" statement. They will start plowing, if needed, on May 15, five days after the day you plan on going. The snow might have melted by then. I cannot say "officially" but it would only seem logical that they would open the road if the snow has melted off before the 15th - and all the needed repairs have been made. How many trees are down, rock slides, and frozen culverts, need attention is something no one knows until they can get up there. You might get lucky.

Thanks for the info. Maybe Sonora Pass will be open by 5/10.
April 05, 2013 11:08AM
Dave
eeek
Well.... with all these budget cuts they are going to have to let volunteers do more than just pull weeds or pick up trash.

There would probably be a liability issue with volunteers clearing Tioga especially near Olmstead Point since it is one of the avalanche areas. I am sure the park is going to need help both inside in offices and outside this year. Here are some volunteer opportunities:

Yosemite Conservancy Volunteer Opportunities

Yosemite Valley Campground Rehabilitation Work Weeks; June 30-July 6 and July 7-13.
Rehabilitate Yosemite Valley’s campgrounds and enhance the experience of thousands of campers by replacing old picnic tables with those conforming to ADA specifications. The new tables will be assembled onsite with metal frames and pre-cut lumber and swapped out with the old tables. Other improvements will occur as needed.

Yosemite Valley Restoration Work Week; July 14-20
Be part of the first comprehensive survey of one of the biggest threats to biodiversity in Yosemite. The Park Service will train participants to survey and identify invasive plants. Using GPS units and a park ranger’s help, this team will map the locations of these plants, primarily in Yosemite Valley. The fee for each work week is $200. Base camp for these work weeks is a group site in Yellow Pine Campground. Delicious meals and a T-shirt are provided by Yosemite Conservancy. For more information contact Ruth Heine at rheine@yosemiteconservancy.org

Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Information Volunteers
Share your passion for Yosemite by assisting its visitors with helpful information for a month in the park. Opportunities are still available in Yosemite Valley in May, June, August and September, in Wawona in July, August and September, and in Tuolumne Meadows from mid-August to late September. There is no fee. Base camps are in Lower Pines in the Valley, theD-Loop in Tuolumne Meadows, and in Wawona campground. Participants provide their own meals. For more information contact Suzy Hasty at shasty@yosemiteconservancy.org. (S. Hasty)
April 05, 2013 03:03PM
parklover
There would probably be a liability issue with volunteers clearing Tioga especially near Olmstead Point since it is one of the avalanche areas. I am sure the park is going to need help both inside in offices and outside this year.

I did not mention actual clearing, but just the spreading of charcoal on some snow to make it melt faster.
April 05, 2013 04:08PM
Dave
parklover
There would probably be a liability issue with volunteers clearing Tioga especially near Olmstead Point since it is one of the avalanche areas. I am sure the park is going to need help both inside in offices and outside this year.

I did not mention actual clearing, but just the spreading of charcoal on some snow to make it melt faster.

Yes, I know that you did not mention actual clearing. I added that just in case someone else was thinking along those lines.
April 01, 2013 10:07PM
many of the departments are having budget cuts due to the sequester and may have delays in operations.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 05:46PM by marmot.
April 04, 2013 09:57AM
mtn man guessed May 10 and that was in the ballpark of my prognostication, so I'll pick May 11

(all criterion and statistics studied and disregarded...using my usual predicting method instead)
May 11, 2013 07:37AM
hikerchick395
mtn man guessed May 10 and that was in the ballpark of my prognostication, so I'll pick May 11

(all criterion and statistics studied and disregarded...using my usual predicting method instead)

Looks like Hikerchick395 is the winner!! (unless the opening predicted by the NPS doesn't happen today).
April 22, 2013 01:32PM
My prediction: Wednesday, May 8th.
April 22, 2013 04:29PM
I get it right every year...

(I just lookie at HC395's paper)

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 22, 2013 06:47PM
Prediction: May 10.

Drove over Carson Pass Sunday. I'd say there's about 2 feet of snow on the south side (8900'), looking south there's continuous snow coverage on the peaks, looking north there's only scattered snow patches. [edit] Caples "Lake" has a thin bit of water showing along the north side and is otherwise covered, Silver Lake's ice-out is very well underway.

Skied at Alpine Meadows Saturday AM, then went to Squaw and hung out at the High Camp pool. The north-facing Estelle Bowl had really nice snow 2/3 of the way down to Estelle Lake, then had to pick my way to avoid mashed-potato snow. Decent but soft snow, with careful movement around rocks, from the lake down to top of Kangaroo. At 9 and 10 AM. The south-facing climb to Estelle was bare except for the Beaver Bowl cornice, which extended almost but not quite to the peaklet separating Beaver and Estelle.

This is not a snow pack that seems likely to last long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 06:52PM by ttilley.
April 24, 2013 09:57AM
Any side bets for Onion Valley Road and Horseshoe Meadows Road?
April 24, 2013 12:29PM
tanngrisnir3
Any side bets for Onion Valley Road

It isn't open now?
May 10, 2013 05:16PM
May 10, 2013 07:01PM
You're right again! Congrats.
May 11, 2013 01:33PM
Hikerchick wins again! Congratulations!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login