All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A suggested itinerary for CR/HD?
March 25, 2013 09:21AM
Greetings all,

My first post, so if you guys need to flame me, use this as your opportunity.

My wife and I summited Half Dome last year on a day hike. I know there are tons of other fantastic hikes throughout the Park, but for some reason, Half Dome is calling to me again. I'd love to see the view from atop Clouds Rest as well, so I'm thinking about potential itineraries which would allow me to summit both over the course of 2-3 (or as many as 4) days.

It looks like permits from the Sunset Trailhead, and to a lesser extent, Happy Isles walk-through, are available in early September, which seems like a decent, if not chilly, time to go.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on potential itineraries/camp sites which allow us to hike at least Clouds Rest and Half Dome, and any other worthwhile sites along the way.

Many thanks!
Re: A suggested itinerary for CR/HD?
March 25, 2013 09:46AM
The easy way would be Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, use Little Yosemite Valley as a base camp, and hike Clouds Rest and Half Dome as day hikes. I would spend a full day on each so I could take a lot of pictures. I did this a few years ago and had a wonderful time. Expect company. Frequently permits are available as a walk up instead of reservation if you show up the afternoon before your hike. You could reserve the "walk through" permit as backup, then see if you can get the Little Yosemite Permit instead when you arrive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 09:52AM by lschaaf.
March 25, 2013 12:55PM
tomdisco
ThlsaPaddlin,
Flaming newcomers is not a practice common to this website, so your inquiry is more than appropriate. I'll leave the replies to your specific inquiry for others while commenting that I seldom revisit the same place in Yosemite while backpacking unless it can not be avoided enroute. There's just too many places to see in the wilderness and I don't have that many years left in which to accomplish it. Again, I'm not flaming; just widening your experience with another point of view. In any event, enjoy your revisit to Half Dome.winking smiley
Jim

Thanks for your input. On Half Dome last summer, we didn't have much time to enjoy the summit, since when we arrived we saw thunderheads building. I wouldn't be so steadfast on revisiting, except I feel like the ~35 minutes we spent on the summit with dozens of other people wasn't really the experience I was seeking. I'd love to catch a sunrise or sunset up there. I'd definitely love to catch a sunrise from Cloud's Rest.

It seems as though you've seen most of that country. I have considered doing as lschaaf suggested, but I'd love to take in more wilderness (though of course this remains a very realistic option, so I thank lschaaf for their input). Can you suggest another route that would allow for visiting both CR and HD (or any myriad other sites you view as can't-miss) while staying "off the beaten path" a bit?

Thanks.
March 25, 2013 06:08PM
ThtsaPaddlin
On Half Dome last summer, we didn't have much time to enjoy the summit, since when we arrived we saw thunderheads building. I wouldn't be so steadfast on revisiting, except I feel like the ~35 minutes we spent on the summit with dozens of other people wasn't really the experience I was seeking.

You've just summed up in a sentence why I visit a myriad of other high places instead of returning to Half Dome.

Moraine Dome, North Dome, Mt Watkins, Clouds Rest - I'll go anywhere - anywhere but that dreadful set of cables that appears to entitle people to sit around hooting on cell phones, playing football, and generally being lunatics.

Sentinel Dome at night is absolutely splendid. Great view of Half Dome in the moonlight. If you want to watch the game over there, bring binoculars.

If you have to do Half Dome, you increase your chances of a more solitary experience by going midweek and at night. But eh - whatever. Getting there and finding 35 drunk people in sleeping bags at sunrise just makes me want to scream at the people who chortle and say "Oh, I was the only one up there, blah blah blah" Yeah, whatever. I'll go for the sure thing.

Good luck. Hope you find your bliss. I have.
March 25, 2013 01:55PM
You could do the same thing from the Tenaya Lake (Olmsted Point) trailhead, Camp along Sunrise Creek and do both hikes from there...and avoid the Mist Trail and its hordes of tourists. You would also avoid LYV--and its hordes of backpackers...grin

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 01:55PM by balzaccom.
avatar Re: A suggested itinerary for CR/HD?
March 25, 2013 02:09PM
The through hike from Sunset TH to Happy Isles in the valley, via Clouds Rest and HD would be my first choice. It is a well beaten path and requires a shuttle back to you car, but will provide the biggest bang for your buck.

Because of the popularity of these spots you'll never be truly alone when you're on the trails. However, if you choose your campsites carefully, and visit the summits during off-peak hours you can (attempt to) get the back country experience you are seeking.

Keep using the search function on here and you'll find most all the info you need. Good Luck!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
March 25, 2013 07:02PM
Half Dome IS awesome. I hope you can find what you are looking for.
It's a big place up there and you can easily get away from everyone.
Just head west my friend. Go down 100 ft. on the west and you have the
dome to yourself in quiet contemplation.

There's not a huge number of options really staying on trail.. just pick up a map
and choose one of those routes. No need to camp right at the top of Clouds.
There are plenty of spots on the NE shoulder.
Sunrise TH (not Sunset) (and not Olmsted Pt.) is your best option imo.
It's hugely popular.

Have fun and don't let the downers bring you down
Half Dome fun out der
Chick-on is looking at you!

If you got the time... day 1 up and over Clouds to Sunrise Crk Jct. (Clouds/JMT)
Day 2 up HD and then pack up and hike high trail over to Echo Valley
Day 3 explore and head down towards LYV
Day 4 out HI

March 26, 2013 06:38AM
A year ago, while descending subdome, I met a guy who looked like he was
having a heart attack. Seated on a rock so others could pass, he puffed,
wheezed and had trouble unscrewing the lid to a water bottlle. His heart
pounded so hard, I thought subdome was about to become a pile of sand.

Turns out, this (large) gent had attempted North Dome with his 9 year old
daughter the day before. She made the summit, and he didn't. (Obviously,
the only way to rebound from a failure like that is to take on the "toughest
dayhike in the US"winking smiley

What's the point? Half Dome draws people to it like no other place in the
park. Some belong there, and some don't. We can look down our noses
at the unquestioned icon of Yosemite, or we can embrace it. The power
of the attraction that this rock holds on people ain't going away.

By the way, you'll know this laboring hiker if you see him. He is the one
with the full width chest tattoo of the Last Supper, featuring pigs, not people.
March 26, 2013 07:20AM
In all honesty the posts about bitching about Half Dome only makes me
personally not really want to share anything. I just don't get it.
You hate Half Dome. Wonderful. Then don't go there. Don't piss on other
people's parade. Because quite simply Half Dome IS Yosemite to a lot of people.
There was a great post previously about someone bitching about the Valley
and the reply quite simply was "then don't go there then".

And seriously:

March 26, 2013 12:10PM
It's tough too realize that different personalities will enjoy different things. I find myself loving the mountains and the solitude of hiking. But I usually start hikes in small groups but at times will pull ahead or drop back to be alone. But for me, on a Summit, I like to enjoy it with other people. I think its awesome to high five someone after making a tough summit----or even not making one but realizing you did a really tough hike together. I get a little bit confused, and sometimes let myself get upset when I read complaints about too many people. But that may be because I don't value solitude as much as others. I'm perfectly happy watching other people join me on a summit. When I did Clouds Rest I got there early morning and was the only person for almost and hour and the time was great. But my heart jumped with excitement when someone else showed up coming from the other direction. It was very cool to me that I could experience that with another person.

As noted complaints about people confuse me. One of my favorite things it to be at Tunnel View as a bus load of people come in. It is joyous to me to watch these folks step out of the bus in awe. And I understand my reaction is the exact opposite reaction of others who can't stand the crowds. I also enjoy the chatter on the crowded Valley Tour shuttles. Also the exact opposite reaction of many others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 12:48PM by chicagocwright.
March 27, 2013 06:52AM
chick-on
In all honesty the posts about bitching about Half Dome only makes me
personally not really want to share anything. I just don't get it.
You hate Half Dome. Wonderful. Then don't go there. Don't piss on other
people's parade. Because quite simply Half Dome IS Yosemite to a lot of people.
There was a great post previously about someone bitching about the Valley
and the reply quite simply was "then don't go there then".

If sharing that there are thousands of other wonderful experiences out there that top HalF Dome is hating Half Dome, Sign me up for the hater's club - but it's not.

Don't piss on my experiences, I don't piss on yours.

I don't hate the Dome. I hate human suffering. I've seen too much of it on that hike. They averaged 12 injuries/day while the cables were up before the permit system. There's been 80+ deaths on that hike. People do stupid things to have "bragging rights" and that doesn't make me happy especially after each and every trip on that part of the JMT I am handing out food and water to people whether I am heading to HD or not - it pisses me off that people pay no attention to the volunteers at the table they station in Happy Isles or the ranger warnings or the website or anything else and try to do it in high heels. Because my brothers and sisters in Search and Rescue have other things to do.

Whatever you do, do it safely and with reasonable expectations for yourself, and have fun. That's all I ask.
March 27, 2013 07:01AM
If you want me to be completely honest...

Just about every time someone mentions Half Dome your response is
more or less "Half Dome sux".
(pretty much twice in the last week)

I have no idea how I've pissed on your parade. Please enlighten me.

If you go so often then post some pictures and stuff. Inspire people to
go to all those wonderful places. Why do you think I've posted so
many photos of places not Half Dome? I would think you for one would
get that. Heck how many times have I said THIS (a photo of NOT Half Dome)
is my Yosemite. Yosemite is MUCH MORE than Half Dome.
Yadda yadda yadda.

Half Dome a Nice Day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 07:15AM by chick-on.
April 03, 2013 03:07PM
I guess I pissed you off and you ran away.
Not really my intention. O well... I guess you did me a favor anyway.
Not like I really have to waste so much time on this goofy forum anyway.

April 03, 2013 05:09PM
Oh great chick-on what would we do without you, the giver of information, the sage of Yosemite wisdom, if you did not post? Please continue to waste you time here. A day without chick-on is a boring day indeed.
March 26, 2013 11:11AM
Sometimes, I can be less than charitable to others (always in my mind, never aloud) when I'm wishing I had a spot all to myself. But I can snap myself out of it by thinking "Yeah there's a crowd, but at least they're out here enjoying nature instead of playing video games. Maybe they'll learn to love this place (or already do) and will help protect it for everyone".

Regarding the large, tattooed gent......and "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"...... how cool is it that he's out there with his 9yr old daughter? Maybe she'll become a hiker/backpacker/nature lover. Maybe he'll get inspired, get fit, and have his tattoo covered up with a sweet full color version of Half Dome! I'd like to see that.

I was doing a series of short mountain bike races a couple years ago (all 5'-7" & 250lbs of me) and there was this one guy I'd always see and he was always shouting encouragement and very excited when he'd pass me. He wasn't pissed off, he seemed genuinely happy for me that I was out there wheezing and suffering and participating. I always felt like a bozo out there going slow, but his encouragement was always uplifting. I think I'll always remember that. I'd like to make other feel that way too.

Someone on another forum I frequent has a motto regarding backpacks and weight, here's my modification regarding the crowds on Half Dome:

It is what it is
Do what pleases you
Embrace the expericene
Hike safe
Nobody is asking you to do this
March 27, 2013 06:52AM
I played my PSP while laying on the ground in my sleeping bag
at 8pm in the park I love in the wilderness last Saturday.
smiling smiley
So I guess I can have my Twinkie Cake and eat it too?
Friday night (did two overnighters in two completely different locations)...
was super cold. 2 liter platy COMPLETELY froze.

Anywho. Positivity. Everyone has different goals and aspirations.
For a incredibly large majority of people who visit Yosemite
that will be the only time they step foot in the park in their lifetime.
All the trails, 4, Mist, Snow, Yose Falls... they all have tourists on
them. They all have people who DO belong on them. That is what
they were built for. For people to enjoy.

If you love the park and go there... or go anywhere in the Sierra
... well... I've said this a million times... then share it.
Share that place with others here. Maybe they will be inspired
to go visit the same location. Sure, I guess, if you want to keep
your super secret campsite location to yourself, fine... but then
simply don't mention that you have one either.

Anywho. I've said enough.

Half Dome is 80% Full

Half Dome a Nice Day

March 26, 2013 08:14AM
LOL! bird is the werd!
March 26, 2013 03:36PM
I didn't mean for this to turn into a philosophical analysis of Yosemite crowds, but I've enjoyed reading each response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 10:25AM by ThtsaPaddlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login