Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Red Peak Pass Mid July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Red Peak Pass Mid July
March 25, 2013 09:32AM
I'm planning to do a loop from Glacier Point over Red Peak Pass in Mid July. I have an aversion to deep snow or ice in exposed situations. I know some years mid- July would be too early, but I thought this year would work. Opinions ?
avatar Re: Red Peak Pass Mid July
March 25, 2013 10:36AM
Unless Yosemite receives some unexpected very late heavy snows (I've been snowed on while climbing the Mist trail 3rd week of May), you should be O.K.
March 26, 2013 07:46AM
I went over it on July 2, 2007 which was another dry year and there was no snow on the trail or on the pass at all. If this year continues to be dry I expect it will be just fine.

Looking down on Upper Ottoway from the pass (July 2 2007) - no snow on the trail:

Looking back up on the pass as we descended:

March 26, 2013 02:44PM
The other side (east) holds snow much longer than the west.
But yeah, snow issue this year. Unless something goofy happens at this pt.
This year looks worse than last year imo.

I've run into peeps who dreaded RRP so much they actually went Fernandez/Post Peak to avoid it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 27, 2013 05:28PM
chick-on
The other side (east) holds snow much longer than the west.
But yeah, snow issue this year. Unless something goofy happens at this pt.
This year looks worse than last year imo.

I've run into peeps who dreaded RRP so much they actually went Fernandez/Post Peak to avoid it.

(RPP)
You've got a picture of GW and me coming down the snow field there on the east side or was that some other pass?

Old Dude
April 05, 2013 10:27AM
Thank you to all for the info. I'm going. I'll be doing a loop from Glacier Point , over Red Peak Pass , down the Merced River and back to Glacier Point. Eight days, have my permit reservation already.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 10:29AM by lschaaf.
April 05, 2013 12:49PM
As mentioned you should have no problems at all. I was up there in late June last year and snow was a total non-issue. Zero snow on the south side and just a little on the North side. Snow levels are very similar this year.

June 30, 2012

April 06, 2013 11:27PM
Wasn't there a windstorm last year that caused a lot of blowdowns just before Washburn? (Googled "blowdown red peak".) Would the Yosemite public information office have information about the condition of the trail, or is there another number to call?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 11:29PM by KenS.
April 07, 2013 12:36AM
KenS
Wasn't there a windstorm last year that caused a lot of blowdowns just before Washburn? (Googled "blowdown red peak".) Would the Yosemite public information office have information about the condition of the trail, or is there another number to call?

The downed tree photos in the Red Peak Pass post that came up with a google search are not much more than normal deadfall. The 2011 blowdown that occured aaround Red's Meadow was the biggie:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/home/?cid=stelprdb5354687

Old Dude
April 07, 2013 09:05AM
KenS

It wasn't at Red Peak Pass - The pass is way above the treeline. The blowdown was severe in Ansel Adams by Reds Meadow but it also hit a section just a mile or two above Washburn Lake - Right at the footbridge going over the Merced - About 30 yards upriver and 100 yards downriver - The trees took down the railings on the bridge - We had to bushwack around the blow down.

I posted pictures on another thread - One is a picture of my father in law holding up a sign with the tree blow down in the background

Ottoway lake, Red Peak Pass, Washburn

It was pretty bad and I know the crews they were sending out last year were reduced from 6 to 2. I would be very surprised if this hasn't been cleared by now but I'm not sure who to call to find out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 05:21PM by SoCalCPA.
April 07, 2013 11:08AM
Wasn't there also lots of blow-down on the Illouette Valley trail below the Merced Pass Lakes? Or, am I confusing that with the Merced River blow-down above Washburn Lake?
April 07, 2013 05:20PM
Nope Tom - you are correct - There was blow down going up the Illouette drainage on the way to the Merced Pass Lakes last year too - It wasn't as bad as the blow down above Washburn...and Washburn wasn't as bad as the blowdown by Agnew and Reds
April 07, 2013 07:17PM
SoCalCPA
Nope Tom - you are correct - There was blow down going up the Illouette drainage on the way to the Merced Pass Lakes last year too - It wasn't as bad as the blow down above Washburn...and Washburn wasn't as bad as the blowdown by Agnew and Reds

Thanks, and it's Jim. I won't bother to explain what "tomdisco" means but it confuses the hell out of everybody. One guy even chose "the other Tom" to prevent stepping on me.Embaressed
April 10, 2013 07:12AM
For fun took this photo of the pass from way yonder last Sunday:

A wee bit more of that there range I put together into a photosynth:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=b47a05e9-26da-44e6-9943-997b366317a7

(yes, this forum has a place in my heart) (always thinking of you) (I can't leave for good ever it seems)

smiling smiley

Anywho. Bearproof and I went over RPP last year late... and there was little downed trees on the
sections we hiked from Ottoway to Illilouette crossing... but then again we sort of skipped
most of the trail... so ... uh... nevermind...

The picture above... plenty of snow up high... more on that later.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 10, 2013 01:30PM
Nifty photos of Red Peak pass and the Sierra crest.

Here's a video I shot of the Sierra crest yesterday a bit farther away. The video is a bit murky due to the haze and some smog, but I think the crest is still recognizable: wink

April 10, 2013 01:58PM
And besides the visibility not being optimal, it was windy like hell. So I just took several photos of "you know what" from inside my car.

Here's the best one:

This is the same photo, but I circled "you know what" in red. It was clearly visible via binoculars, but the lack of contrast and the murky air made it hard to shoot a decent photograph of it yesterday.

And keeping on topic of this thread, I think Red Peak Pass might also be visible in this photo. wink
April 10, 2013 06:19PM
Please stop putting Photoshoped photos of "you know what" in posts.

Old Dude
April 10, 2013 11:48PM
Well, of these two photos that I posted today, the first one wasn't "photoshopped" at all. It was just taken with my Nikon P&S camera from inside my car.

And for the second one, the only "photoshopping" I did was put a red circle around "you know what".

smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login