Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Toboggan Run at Camp Curry

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Toboggan Run at Camp Curry
March 26, 2013 09:47PM
Bearpoof (whom I think is currently at Tuolumne Meadows) told me to check this out
at the Ahwahnee. It's in a room full of winter-time photos in a room in the SE corner
adjacent to the Great Room. I think it's called The Winter Room.
I could have the names (probably do) completely wrong.

The same picture may also be dispersed around Yosemite Lodge buildings much
like a bunch of the old Carlton Watkins Stereographs and such.

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 26, 2013 10:19PM
Yes, it is the Winter Room and is one of my favorite rooms in the Ahwahnee to sit and have hot chocolate in the winter. I also like the Mural Room which is across the hall from the Winter Room but miss the two chairs that they used to have facing Yosemite Falls.
avatar Re: Toboggan Run at Camp Curry
March 26, 2013 10:39PM
I'll keep an eye out for this room the next time i'm in there. come to think of it, I haven't been inside the ahwahnee in about a year. but I guess it's cuz I usually get dinner at the curry pizza deck and avoid the parking and walking over to the ahwahnee =p
March 27, 2013 10:45AM
marmot
...but I guess it's cuz I usually get dinner at the curry pizza deck ...

Bowing to his greatnessBowing to his greatness
March 26, 2013 10:40PM
I don't know if you have already downloaded this fascinating NPS report about Camp Curry. It's official title is: Cultural Landscape Report: Camp Curry Historic District. It could be retitled Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Curry Village But Were Afraid To Ask. The toboggan run is mentioned numerous times throughout the report.

Here's the link to it: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/yose/camp_curry_clr.pdf

To whet your (and others) appetite, here's one of the cover photos of the report:
March 26, 2013 10:41PM
Pretty cool, I have never seen that before. Thanks for posting.
March 27, 2013 06:41AM
Just a wonderful document. Completely forgot about that one.

Thanks

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 27, 2013 07:32AM
I believe it is The Winter Club room.
March 27, 2013 08:27AM
Baseball, Bowling Alley, Croquet Court, Motion Pictures! Geez. They've really let Yosemite slide. They should bring that stuff back........

Joking! Sarcasm sign
March 27, 2013 04:24PM
Good luck hitting one out of that park.
March 27, 2013 07:59PM
AnotherDave
Good luck hitting one out of that park.
Quote of the day!
March 27, 2013 04:29PM
FWIW, the old toboggan run can still be identified--it's toward the western end of the camp, past where the cabins with bath are. The bike path between the LeConte memorial and Curry passes right by it. (I guess this is now "behind" the new employee housing--I haven't explored around this part of Curry in years...) There are also a few rock culverts from former roads in this area. I don't remember the hill as being as dramatic as in the picture above--perhaps there was an additional ramp structure that was later removed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login