Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Toopid question #3

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Toopid question #3
April 16, 2013 08:21AM
With the latest news on the road to Hetch Hetchy things are looking up for the overnight to Rancheria Falls to start our Yosemite adventure. Seeing the average temps and reading about how it can be a relative hot area in the summer has me wondering. I know there is no swimming allowed in Hetch Hetchy itself but i have seen some pictures of people jumping off a foot bridge into what i assume is water headed toward Hetch Hetchy. Being a large mammal and knowing i will want to dip into and under this cool refreshing water. Is there a point on the trail or Rancheria Creek where it becomes acceptable to do so?
April 16, 2013 01:57PM
I believe swimming is not allowed in streams within one mile of the reservoir. The bridge above Rancheria Creek looks to be roughly a mile from the reservoir; the falls, camping area, and cascades are all closer. I have heard of people getting in trouble from rangers for swimming in Rancheria Creek near this area.
April 16, 2013 03:56PM
Basilblop is right... but I wouldn't sweat it. Technically if you were to swim at the footbridge you would be ok.
But... imo.. you won't want to do that.
Instead simply camp and tickle your feets and maybe slide down the cascade (of course will all proper
percautions) and if a ranger comes by be kind and courteous and if he says you cannot swim then
simply remove your booty from the creek and say "ok, that's a bummer".

Here's a trusty map to help you out:

When you hit the "Campground ahead" sign... giggle at it and head down a simple scramble and find a nice spot
anywhere down yonder where the cascade is. If you insist on having a campfire then... well... maybe this may not be
the place for you. Rangers continually have to clean up this area from illegal fire rings.
Camp around the Green Tent area. Swim above that in the marked blue... and for sure hike up to the real Rancheria Falls.

Have fun

We have camped here a zillion times... and Z Old Dood probably twenty zillion

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 17, 2013 07:28AM
A fire is always a nice addition to any site but i think we can live without one. If or when i am out voted by the family are there legal fire rings at the campground?
April 16, 2013 02:51PM
And be sure not to piss into any of the tributaries that flow into the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir since that's the water that flows through my taps at home. wink

April 16, 2013 05:23PM
plawrence
And be sure not to piss into any of the tributaries that flow into the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir since that's the water that flows through my taps at home. wink

Tell that to the bears.
April 16, 2013 05:33PM
Damn bears!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login