Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Liberty Cap and the Rockslides

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Liberty Cap and the Rockslides
April 17, 2013 09:26PM
I made my annual Valley pilgrimage this past weekend. I usually visit in the winter, so I really enjoyed the summer-like conditions without the summer crowds. I arrived on Friday evening and got up early on Saturday to hike Liberty Cap. What a fun hike!

Vernal Rainbow:

Northeast gully route up Liberty Cap. I'd seen this described as both Class 2 and Class 3. I found it to be an easy class 2. There was one tricky move around a couple of boulders that was probably the only place I had to think, otherwise it was an easy, put-one-foot-in-front-of-another route.

Half Dome dwarfs Liberty but it makes for a good view from the summit.

The biggest patch of snow left on the JMT just below Nevada Falls. It's pretty much gone.

We were just up there! (looks more impressive from this side)

On Sunday I decided to take it a bit easier since I'm working through some knee issues, so I headed up to Rainbow View along the old road. I had hiked the road before but turned back at one of the scrambles due to freezing rain. Not this time! Got up to the railing and enjoyed the perfect day.

This doesn't suck.

More pics here.
April 19, 2013 06:14AM
Wow. You got a straight on shot of Ribbon Falls & El Cap.

Well, well done!
avatar Re: Liberty Cap and the Rockslides
April 22, 2013 01:35PM
Thanks for the trip report and all the photos!
April 22, 2013 10:51PM
Yes, thanks. Vicariously enjoyed. It will be some time before our grandkids will be ready for Liberty Cap...
April 23, 2013 07:38AM
Tanks for the faux toes

For other Liberty Capper and yourself... suggest hiking up Z gully next
time... really good fun... and also down Z cap a bit to spy Nevada...

a la:

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 23, 2013 09:57AM
chick-on
For other Liberty Capper and yourself... suggest hiking up Z gully next
time... really good fun... and also down Z cap a bit to spy Nevada...

Wow! REALLY different perspective on Nevada (and sufficient to get my getting-better-but-still-not-so-great-with-heights churning stomach very concerned about whether I might want to consider taking similar shots of my own eye popping smiley)

Thanks for these!
April 23, 2013 11:12AM
Great! I had heard there was still a bit of icky sneaux in the gully so we avoided it since we didn't have much beta. But next time! I still need to do the Diving Board so I'm sure i'll be back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login