Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Final Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Report: 4/17-4/24

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Final Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Report: 4/17-4/24
April 24, 2013 12:31PM
High temperature: 61°F (4/21)
Low temperature: 16°F (4/18)
New Snow: 0”
Total settled snow depth: 0” as of April 24th

Skiing Conditions and Weather: This is our last post of the winter of 2013. The snow stake here at Tuolumne reads 0” so it must be time to head for our summer range down south at Sequoia National Park. There was a lot of melting this week as temperatures were in the upper 50’s each day. There is patchy snow below 9,000’ on all aspects except south, and the best coverage remains above 9,500’ on north aspects. The freezing temperatures overnight this week has produced some good corn skiing on select slopes in the alpine zone. The Tioga road within Yosemite National Park is a patch work of bare pavement and snow drifts which is not conducive to good ski travel.

Avalanche and Snowpack Conditions: For the latest avalanche advisory for this area go to http://www.esavalanche.org for the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center and click on advisory. The ESAC site is updated several times a week and more often during weather events. The avalanche hazard in the Tuolumne area is low. With warming temperatures the threat of wet snow avalanches exists especially on any night that does not freeze the upper part of the snowpack.

Wildlife: Blackbirds are back in Tuolumne Meadows: Red-winged, Brewer’s, and the parasitic Brown-headed. Rosy finches were busily feeding off dead bugs and or seeds deposited on top of the snow in the alpine. Lastly, the Violet-green swallows were performing their acrobatic flight as they passed over the lofty heights of False White Mountain. The black bears are waking up and they are hungry, so visitors are reminded to use proper food storage while in the wilderness.

Questions: The Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut is open. There is an ample supply of firewood and 10 bunks that are available on a first come, first served basis. You can call the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station at 209/372-0450. If you leave a message we will get back to you the first chance we get. Power and phones are frequently out of service. Contact the wilderness office at 209/372-0740 with any questions or concerns if you are unable to reach the ranger station. Come prepared; don’t count on electricity or phone service at the ski hut
avatar Re: Final Tuolumne Meadows Winter Conditions Report: 4/17-4/24
April 24, 2013 08:48PM
Thanks for the great reports. I guess summer is getting close!
April 25, 2013 10:48AM
Last time I looked, admittedly years ago, there was a Port-a-Poty behind the campground office that was built up to be 4 or 5 feet off the ground.
In winter that's the snow level.

In summer its the building on the right as you pull off of the highway into the campground.
April 25, 2013 11:03AM
qumqats
Last time I looked, admittedly years ago, there was a Port-a-Poty behind the campground office that was built up to be 4 or 5 feet off the ground.
In winter that's the snow level.

In summer its the building on the right as you pull off of the highway into the campground.

There used to be Port-a-Potys like that at Glacier Point.
April 25, 2013 04:07AM
Where is the Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut? I know i set myself up for an easy one but
please dont say Tuolumne Meadows....
April 25, 2013 07:56AM
Haven't been there in winter myself, but its in the campground office.
April 25, 2013 08:07AM
Patsfans

Where is the Tuolumne Meadows Ski Hut?

It's doubles as the Tuolumne Meadows campground office in the summer:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login