Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: May Lake April 19-20

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May Lake April 19-20
April 24, 2013 02:22PM
Sorry, no time for a trip report but did want to put up a few pictures from this weekends hike to May Lake.

The camp kitchen isn't open yet.

Admiring the view from behind camp.

This is where the Snow Creek trail crosses Tioga road. No signs of any plows.

It is all quite a contrast to the Valley
April 24, 2013 02:47PM
Kewl. Maybe this will dispell peeps saying der aint no sa-now up der.
(I tried)

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 24, 2013 07:00PM
Nice, thanks. Looks like a lot more snow at May Lake (9300') than at the snow creek trail crossing (8500').
April 24, 2013 07:51PM
Here is a link to a plot of the water content at Horse Meadow:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=2915&end=&geom=&interval=&cookies=

That's probably around six feet of snow with 50% consolidation.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2013 08:00PM by mrcondron.
April 24, 2013 07:57PM
I guess that makes sense, the Tioga Road/Snow Creek Trail crossing has generally southerly exposure. Seems variable in other ways as well (as AlmostThere said)...I mentioned elsewhere seeing around 2 feet of snow at the south side of Carson Pass (north-facing), and seeing just patches on the slopes north from the pass.
April 24, 2013 07:27PM
KatyAnderson

The camp kitchen isn't open yet.

Wow, nice amount of snow!

This is why a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. This is the best photo I've seen this early spring that illustrates what I've been reading about from the NWS, the state hydrologists and others (like our chick-on): up high, the snowpack is plenty deep!
April 24, 2013 07:39PM
The Tuolumne Meadows rangers blogged they were leaving for their summer environs as the Tuolumne Meadows snow stake has no snow to measure.

Something tells me "variable" is the word.
April 24, 2013 08:06PM
Very nice, thanks for sharing... Yeah, it's easy to forget that there still is snow out there... May Lake does tend to hold snow later than many surrounding areas, so it isn't necessarily indicative of conditions everywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login