All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

More campsite genius from the elves at Camp Chef....
April 24, 2013 04:02PM
Want. Fits in a bear locker and easy to use.

It would be awesome at, say, Onion Valley, TM or Lake Sabrina as a reward after a long day of trekking around.

http://www.campchef.com/italia-artisan-pizza-oven.html
avatar Re: More campsite genius from the elves at Camp Chef....
April 24, 2013 05:10PM
Perhaps DNC could get one for Curry.
April 24, 2013 05:33PM
Re: More campsite genius from the elves at Camp Chef....
April 25, 2013 06:45AM
eeek
Perhaps DNC could get one for Curry.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
April 24, 2013 07:34PM
tanngrisnir3

Want. Fits in a bear locker and easy to use.

It would be awesome at, say, Onion Valley, TM or Lake Sabrina as a reward after a long day of trekking around.

http://www.campchef.com/italia-artisan-pizza-oven.html

Until I can do a side-to-side comparison of the pizzas this oven produces versus those produced by Degnan's and the world famous Curry Pizza Deck, I'll reserve my judgement of its awesomeness. wink

April 24, 2013 07:40PM
For this side-by-side comparison, will the Curry Pizza Deck chefs be using the Camp Chef (so that only one variable is changed in the comparison)? Because otherwise the experiment will be tainted.
April 29, 2013 06:50AM
I could do better than Curry Pizza Deck any day of the week by driving to Oakhurst to Pizza Factory...
April 29, 2013 09:12AM
)
AlmostThere
I could do better than Curry Pizza Deck any day of the week by driving to Oakhurst to Pizza Factory...

thumbs up

Is the Mariposa Pizza Factory closer to the valley, though? (I'd just bring leftovers from the PF in Bishop...skewer slices on the weinie poker and warm over the campfire. This method also improves the Curry pizza...)
April 29, 2013 11:58AM
Mariposa Pizza Factory to Yosemite Village 1:12hours 44.70 miles

Oakhurst Pizza Factory to Yosemite Village 1:41 65 miles
April 29, 2013 12:26PM
parklover

You left out the Groveland Pizza Factory from your analysis.

April 29, 2013 01:12PM
The is because hikerchick395 and AlmostThere were talking about the difference between Mariposa and Oakhurst.

But here is its: Groveland Pizza Factory to Yosemite Village. 1:16 hours 48.11 miles
April 30, 2013 12:15AM
Thanks.
April 30, 2013 06:34AM
Better check to see if Mariposa Pizza Factory is open... I drove through a couple weeks ago and it was not. It was rebuilt after burning down last year.
April 30, 2013 09:14AM
parklover

Giordano's Pizza to Yosemite Village: 31 hours 2,013 miles

Admittedly there is no Giordano's in the Valley, but we have the next best thing at the Curry Pizza Deck---about a 3 minute walk from your Curry Village canvas tent.
(Side Note: Walking distance to Giordano's from Yosemite Valley is 642 hours, 1,963 miles)
April 30, 2013 11:41AM
chicagocwright
parklover

Admittedly there is no Giordano's in the Valley, but we have the next best thing at the Curry Pizza Deck---about a 3 minute walk from your Curry Village canvas tent.
(Side Note: Walking distance to Giordano's from Yosemite Valley is 642 hours, 1,963 miles)

Giordano's Feed ME! on W. Jackson Blvd makes the best pizza ever. IMHO to say that Curry Pizza Deck is the next best thing is sacrilegious and I am not even from Chicago.
April 30, 2013 12:04PM
parklover
chicagocwright
parklover

Giordano's Feed ME! on W. Jackson Blvd makes the best pizza ever. IMHO to say that Curry Pizza Deck is the next best thing is sacrilegious and I am not even from Chicago.

Well let me put it like this. Giordano's isn't even the best Chicago pizza. I used them because I figured more are familiar with that name. But I was mostly addressing the concept that one could do better than Curry Pizza "any day of the week" by simply walking to the local Giordano's only 642 hours away. And I've poked fun at Californians who can't judge pizza---evidence Number 1 the atrocity known as: "California Pizza Kitchen" (I always wonder if Curry's detractors have actually ate the pizza recently). Curry is good pizza--and the ambiance is spectacular.

So if I had to choose right now: Giordano's vs. Curry Pizza Deck? I am picking Curry Pizza Deck.
April 30, 2013 12:20PM
If you're comparing "California Pizza Kitchen" with Curry Village, then sure, I'll pick Curry. I assumed the comparisons were restricted to edible substances.

Aren't you from Fresno? Me n Ed's is pretty decent for a chain.
April 30, 2013 12:26PM
ttilley
If you're comparing "California Pizza Kitchen" with Curry Village, then sure, I'll pick Curry. I assumed the comparisons were restricted to edible substances.

Yes I was born and raised in Fresno (and then lived in Chicago 17 years). And Me n Ed's is very good. I'm just projecting that the detractors of Curry Pizza Deck are such poor judges of pizza and must be Californian's partly responsible for CPK.
April 30, 2013 02:16PM
Who serves the best pizza is pretty subjective in my mind, it is all about personal taste. It has also been a hot topic on this forum. My mother was sick the whole time she was pregnant with me and one thing she could eat was pizza so I must have gotten that love in vitro. Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I am always searching for good places any where I go. I have eaten a lot of pizza in a lot of places, some great and some really bad.

As for Chicago style pizza in Chicago, I prefer Giordano’s while some like Lou Malnati’s better. Actually, I like New York style pizza better than Chicago style pizza and there was a place near Time Square ( I can’t remember the name and it is gone now) that I felt was best representative of that type in any city I have had pizza. The Italian section of Pittsburgh has some great pizza and so does the Little Italy section of San Francisco. I can’t find any great pizza in Los Angeles anymore. I don’t think of the pizza at California Pizza Kitchen as being true pizza.

As for my Yosemite and Yosemite area rankings, I was ranking them against each other. Frankly, I would not consider any of them great pizza’s, good but not great. The ambiance at Curry is certainly better than the Loft. For many years we mostly ate Curry pizza. My current choosing of the Loft over Curry it not just due to the taste, since they are basically the same, but the fact that we had too many bad Curry pizzas over the past few years and only once did I get a bad pizza at the Loft. The Loft not only gave me a new one without any hesitation, they did not charge me for either pizza. I had to argue to get a new pizza at Curry. I have also found that the Loft is more generous with it’s cheese and it’s toppings. By the way, I had a conversation with a Curry manager recently about what I have been experiencing at Curry and he is looking into it. One thing I think we all can agree with is not to get the pizza at the Lodge Cafeteria. They use a cheese blend and put some sort of herb mix on the crust.
May 01, 2013 06:10AM
parklover
Who serves the best pizza is pretty subjective in my mind, it is all about personal taste. It has also been a hot topic on this forum. My mother was sick the whole time she was pregnant with me and one thing she could eat was pizza so I must have gotten that love in vitro. Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I am always searching for good places any where I go. I have eaten a lot of pizza in a lot of places, some great and some really bad.

As for Chicago style pizza in Chicago, I prefer Giordano’s while some like Lou Malnati’s better. Actually, I like New York style pizza better than Chicago style pizza and there was a place near Time Square ( I can’t remember the name and it is gone now) that I felt was best representative of that type in any city I have had pizza. The Italian section of Pittsburgh has some great pizza and so does the Little Italy section of San Francisco. I can’t find any great pizza in Los Angeles anymore. I don’t think of the pizza at California Pizza Kitchen as being true pizza.

As for my Yosemite and Yosemite area rankings, I was ranking them against each other. Frankly, I would not consider any of them great pizza’s, good but not great. The ambiance at Curry is certainly better than the Loft. For many years we mostly ate Curry pizza. My current choosing of the Loft over Curry it not just due to the taste, since they are basically the same, but the fact that we had too many bad Curry pizzas over the past few years and only once did I get a bad pizza at the Loft. The Loft not only gave me a new one without any hesitation, they did not charge me for either pizza. I had to argue to get a new pizza at Curry. I have also found that the Loft is more generous with it’s cheese and it’s toppings. By the way, I had a conversation with a Curry manager recently about what I have been experiencing at Curry and he is looking into it. One thing I think we all can agree with is not to get the pizza at the Lodge Cafeteria. They use a cheese blend and put some sort of herb mix on the crust.

Oh, dear. Not finding great pizza in LA means you're not really trying. Here, let me help.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/08/pizza_los_angeles_best_sotto_mozza_olio.php

That, and EVO Kitchen (on Sunset on block east or so of Crescent Heights/Laurel Canyon) makes a gluten-free pizza whose crust is absolutely unique (and addicting).
May 01, 2013 12:05AM
ttilley
"California Pizza Kitchen"

What does that have to do with pizza?
May 01, 2013 07:07AM
I was having a hard time figuring that out, myself.
May 01, 2013 07:31AM
ttilley

Why are we talking about Curry Pizza Deck then?

You think they have real pizza? When did they start spiking the drinks?

The beer, now - that's decent, more than makes up for the lack of actual pizza. Love the Mammoth Brewery brews.
May 07, 2013 09:59AM
Mariposa Pizza Factory will reopen May 11. Exactly one year after the fire.
April 29, 2013 12:03PM
Based on personal taste testing

1. Pizza Factory - Bishop
2. Degnans
3. Pizza Factory - Oakhurst
4. Curry
April 30, 2013 09:02AM
Pizza at Pizza Factory in Lone Pine is a bit "greasier" but it sure is acceptable after coming down the big hill...
April 30, 2013 11:52AM
hikerchick395
Pizza at Pizza Factory in Lone Pine is a bit "greasier" but it sure is acceptable after coming down the big hill...

That is why I did not put Lone Pine on my list. I noticed that the PF in Oakhurst pizza sauce is different than it was years ago and I liked the older one better. Worse Pizza Factory was the one in Burbank, CA which might be the reason it closed.
April 30, 2013 05:41PM
hikerchick395

It costs a bit more too.
May 21, 2013 09:24AM
Tried a small pizza at Curry last week. It was actually pretty good. Didn't eat on the pizza deck, though...instead opted for the tables near the grill, where we could drink our beer purchased from the store. smileys with beer
May 21, 2013 01:32PM
hikerchick395
Tried a small pizza at Curry last week. It was actually pretty good. Didn't eat on the pizza deck, though...instead opted for the tables near the grill, where we could drink our beer purchased from the store. smileys with beer

Glad you didn't listen to the naysayers although your experience would have been magnified if you had ordered "Large"!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login