Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Scalping campsites

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Scalping campsites
April 26, 2013 01:12PM
I just realized that I don't see posts about this any more. I went and checked Craigslist and didn't find any scalping ads there. Did the scalping finally get shut down somehow and I missed hearing about it?
April 26, 2013 08:45PM
There is an interesting website on offers to share Yosemite campsites: http://www.meetup.com/YosemiteCampShare/
April 28, 2013 05:18PM
I sure hope it was shut down. Those guys were ripping people off right and left.
April 28, 2013 06:51PM
I agree. They make it sound like they are helping people but they are charging them to offset their costs. Plus, what is with offering paid meals or asking people to bring a gift for the person who rented the site? A few times we walked past the campground office and saw some people who were disappointed that they could not get a site so we asked if they wanted to share our site. I never asked them for money or for them to give us something in return. It was just a friendly thing to do.
April 29, 2013 07:27PM
While I am glad that the scalpers have been (for the most part) shut down, I don't have a problem with the idea of folks sharing their sites. Sites in the valley are so hard to come by and now that you need a permit for a specific day to climb Half Dome, it becomes very difficult to get a site and a permit for the same day. I don't think that charging someone to share your site is a good idea but the idea of a token "hostess" gift is something that my mom taught me about being a gracious guest.
April 30, 2013 11:56AM
Cooking dinner one night is a good hostess gift in my mind, even if it is my food.
April 30, 2013 08:02PM
Letting someone else cook dinner is a great idea! Even better if they do the dishes. LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login