Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Chilnualna Falls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Chilnualna Falls
April 29, 2013 07:27PM
We just got back from an impromptu trip to the Wawona side of the park which we have not visited often. We did the hike up to the chilnualna falls and they were spectacular... in fact I am trying to rack my brain as to which other falls in Yosemite are more inpressive. It might have just been the right timing with snow melt and a warm weekend and a great trip. I guess we were were both just feeling very shocked that these falls are seldom spoken of in Yosemite.

Comments?
Re: Chilnualna Falls
April 29, 2013 07:39PM
Wapama Falls is the most impressive, IMO. Yosemite Falls impresses for distance and grandeur.

Chilnualna is more impressive if you view it from afar - standing in the meadow across from Wawona Hotel and looking up at it gives you more of an idea of the true length of it than standing at the top trying to view the whole thing.
April 29, 2013 07:43PM
Wapama Falls has yet to meet our eyes... but there was something about the multiple cascades and rush of water in Chilnualna that had me more impressed than the several times hiking yosemite falls. The long drop is very impressive of course, but the five or six drops throughout the chilnualna got our attention!
April 29, 2013 10:00PM
Only five or six?

Haven't been to Waterwheel, LeConte or California yet, I suspect.
April 30, 2013 01:53PM
Don't be to hard on the OP. Chilnualna Falls are wonderful---and the trail takes you right up alongside of them where you can see them in all their glory--particularly this time of year.

They are certainly among my favorite couple of falls in Yosemite, but I suspect that we are all affected by when we see them. They are always better in the spring!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
April 29, 2013 11:42PM
lilagray
Wapama Falls has yet to meet our eyes... but there was something about the multiple cascades and rush of water in Chilnualna that had me more impressed than the several times hiking yosemite falls. The long drop is very impressive of course, but the five or six drops throughout the chilnualna got our attention!

Here's a Chick-on shot of Wapama from Kolana Rock:
Only the last little bit is visible from the trail or bridges.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 11:43PM by mrcondron.
May 02, 2013 04:05PM
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,52472,52472#msg-52472

Best is subjective. Sometimes it's just timing.

Probably you didn't not even seen them all. There's even more great stuff
off trail above. And the lower falls which are very soon after the trail starts.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login