Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Diving Board - sad smiley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Diving Board - sad smiley
May 06, 2013 07:07AM
We three intrepid explorers set out from Happy Isles Saturday morning with backpacks and went up from the Emerald Pool climbing through the trees and finding water bottles and other small reminders that many have done this... We bumped into a gent with a large tripod at the bottom where we depart the Mist Trail who said he was going up there, but we didn't see him again all day, so don't think he made it. There are orange flagging tape markers here and there on the route - we never found a use trail, but it was clear someone had gone the way we went. Every now and then we ran across a footprint.

Once up there we took a zillion fantastic shots of the sun setting, the alpenglow on the face of Half Dome, the mountains with snow behind us, and generally enjoyed the entire experience - the grouse thrumming and beating away til dark was impressive for his stamina and determination. Loads of bear poop in the area, in various stages of decomp. It was a warm night and the stars were out, and to the south, in the clouds, lightning kept flashing all night providing a light show.

There are some sections of the trail up to the ridge that are best done without a heavy backpack... unless, of course, you are a mountain goat extraordinaire. Class 2 or 3 in one bit - I think depending on how really nervous it makes you. Getting off the route would be definitely deadly in places. It was to my phone. When I handed my pack off to a friend, she promptly dropped it and it landed in such a way on a sharp rock that the side pocket zipper busted and stuff flew out. My smartphone survived two 50 foot drops to one granite face, to a second, and then landing far at the bottom in pieces. I'm surprised the touch screen still works despite all the cracks.

And, on the way down, somewhere my black Sony Cybershot slipped out of the snapped shut pocket i had it in. It's somewhere along the route between the spring, where I took pictures of deer, and the bottom where the trail turns and works its way across the gully (the creek that's usually there this time of year is dry tho there is spring water further down in the creek bed). So I have no pictures to share....

Next time I will camp in the bottom and day hike to the top. I also need some new pants... the ones I've been using for the past six months finally reached their limits on this trip, and I had to wear a windbreaker around my waist going down the Mist Trail, as the view was ... stunning. Huge tear from stem to stern.
May 06, 2013 07:26AM
Sorry to hear about the lost camera. I hope that it turns up. When my buddy lost his on Sunnyside Bench recently, he was able to go back and find it under a bush the next day.

So you won't be able to post any photos. How about those taken by your two friends?

I'm having some trouble recognizing the route you took. It doesn't sound like the one straight up from the Emerald Pool. Was it maybe the old trail going up between Liberty Cap and Mt. Broderick, and up the climbers' route from there?
May 06, 2013 07:42AM
I think we went up before the use trail - we crossed the granite near Emerald Pool and went up the first creek bed. It wasn't hard going up but would have been difficulty going down. There was a forested bench that we traversed over and joined up with the other gully, I think. Did not go between Broderick and Liberty - I could see Broderick to our right.

Only one of my friends had a camera, and he didn't take a lot of photos. I was going to take photos of the route back, but my pack was one that I don't usually use (long story) and kept throwing me off balance, so I was spending a lot of time focused on the trail. Which is likely how I lost the camera - I bet the lanyard was dangling and snagged in manzanita. A reverse trip without packs didn't find the camera, alas. I have friends going via the climbers route next week, they might make the return on the trail. And will try to call the wilderness office to ask if they maintain a lost and found.
May 06, 2013 07:50AM
Also there was a large group of day hikers there when we arrived - probably 8 of them - shorts, tiny day packs, one of them had no shirt.

I am wondering how many scratches from manzanita and live oak they incurred! They did not look like they were even on the route - I certainly wouldn't want to thrash through brush with no shirt....
May 06, 2013 05:39PM
OK - let's see if this will work.

GPS track: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308807767
avatar Re: Diving Board - sad smiley
May 07, 2013 01:38AM
A Merrell Moab Ventilator! grinning smiley
May 07, 2013 06:34AM
Yep, shoe of masochists!

I gave it up after about 50 miles on granite - not sure what kind of insole my buddy is wearing, but he's a lot younger and still impervious to foot pain, evidently.
May 07, 2013 01:35PM
Very nice. The drop-off must be incredible.
May 07, 2013 01:48PM
Thanks for the photos and the GPS tracks. Always educational.

Sorry to hear about your phone and camera. Hopefully someone will find your camera and turn it in to Yosemite's Lost & Found.

May 07, 2013 08:41AM
That first photo gives me the heebie-jeebies! I love being up on stuff like that, but to look over the edge I'd lay down and carefully crawl up to the edge. Thanks for the photos!
May 12, 2013 07:49AM
Went back yesterday to look for the camera, and to take more pictures if I didn't find it. Turned out to be a better day for pictures than the last. Didn't find the camera (but didn't much expect to).

That is a truly difficult hike. While searching for the camera on the way down, we got off track and nearly pitched off the slabs to the south of the route. Fortunately we were just 50-60 feet to the south of the route and were able to bushwhack over to it again.

May 12, 2013 08:23AM
Good For You

Does this mean it quit raining? tongue sticking out smiley wink
And we can expect more trip reports?

Lots and lots and probably too much stuff on Z Diving Board here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,54286,54286#msg-54286

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 12, 2013 08:35AM
Gotta get back up there and get a full photosynth
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=6f791772-f0bf-4ded-a497-1f2d0f4be947

Have fun

May 12, 2013 08:37AM
This is a good time to go - the spring was flowing well, things are green. That won't be continuing much longer...
May 12, 2013 08:43AM
Tioga is open. It can wait til next April. It'll still be there. Just like the big ol rock.
smiling smiley

May 12, 2013 10:25AM
chick-on
Tioga is open. It can wait til next April. It'll still be there. Just like the big ol rock.
smiling smiley

I'll be on to other big ol rocks... plenty left to sit on that don't have a solid line of climbers going up one side, and tourists going up the other...
May 12, 2013 11:16AM
That's nice.

May 12, 2013 11:51AM
There's a growing response to the permitting - people are starting to go up before the cables go up. Met a number of people on the trail who flew in from out of state to do just that. "I tried for a permit last year and couldn't get one, so I came back this year to do it before the cables go up."

It's going to be interesting to see if the trend continues, and what the park's response will be to it...
May 12, 2013 01:22PM
Not surprised. This has been going on for years.
Even when I went up sans cables in upright position in May of 2009 I had a lot of company.
Tried not to publicize it much due to knowing what it would produce.

It's been written in a few places now about how easy it is...
Even here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,36669,36669#msg-36669

As it gets busier and busier... someone will perish. Pretty sad.

In that post... one line I had was simply:
"I'm fairly certain the park service really hates people going up like this.
And wonder if they won't take steps in the future to eliminate it."

Anyway, we're all tourists on this big blue ball. And not for long.

May 12, 2013 04:39PM
In that case it would make sense for the park to require permits 365 days a year but only issue them when the cables were going to be up. Exception: technical climbing well away from the cables. Enforcement during the off season might be spotty, but it would discourage people from planning around the cables being down.
May 12, 2013 09:46PM
gophersnake
In that case it would make sense for the park to require permits 365 days a year but only issue them when the cables were going to be up. Exception: technical climbing well away from the cables. Enforcement during the off season might be spotty, but it would discourage people from planning around the cables being down.

I sure hope they don't do that. The park exists for the people to have access to.

It's bad enough that they have the permit system at all, but to require permits when the cables aren't even up would be ridiculous!

The permit system was implemented to reduce how many people are up there. The cables being down does a pretty good job of that.

Time will tell, I would hope that most people wouldn't be so desperate to do HD that they'd do it with the cables down.
May 12, 2013 10:16PM
Yes someone is eventually probably going to perish attempting Half Dome with the Cables down.

But someone is also likely to perish climbing El Capitan, walking at Glacier Point, riding a bike on the bike path, swimming in the pool at Curry, and maybe even eating pizza. But let's not close it down and make it less accessible. Please?
May 12, 2013 11:23PM
chicagocwright
Yes someone is eventually probably going to perish attempting Half Dome with the Cables down.

Quick glance at "Death Book": two women have died in the past 6-7 years attempting Half with cables down. Both incidents occurred well before the permit system.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,1727

http://mrhalfdome.com/Accidents.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 11:32PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 12, 2013 11:48PM
chicagocwright

But someone is also likely to perish climbing El Capitan, walking at Glacier Point, riding a bike on the bike path, swimming in the pool at Curry, and maybe even eating pizza. But let's not close it down and make it less accessible. Please?

How do you know no one has perished going up with the cables down? Nearly a hundred people have perished trying to hike to, or on, Half Dome.

If I had my way, the cables would never have been there in the first place. As a result of having them there is an indelible scar up the side of the dome and the trees that used to live on top are all gone, burnt by fools with no respect for the park. All the rest is not the same thing at all. Let's just set up a set of cables to the top of every other dangerously steep/exposed rock face in the world, shall we? and invite every unprepared, unfit person think that they should just be able to walk up them. It's a ridiculous expectation. You don't need to go to the top of Half Dome to enjoy views or enjoy the rest of the park. There is no entitlement for anyone to claim to an easy walk up summit of any other peak - nor is there one for Half Dome. Rip 'em down. Go up it if you're prepared, whenever you like - without the cables that'll leave folks with learning to climb and using the gear they bring with them, and hey, that works for the rest of the rock faces....

As for biking, the pool, etc... you may want to check out the recent plans for doing away with such things! There have always been those who would shut down vehicle traffic into the valley. I've never been one of those. I'd rather see the wilderness be wilderness, and the front country is fine as it is.
May 13, 2013 12:35AM
AlmostThere
chicagocwright

How do you know no one has perished going up with the cables down? Nearly a hundred people have perished trying to hike to, or on, Half Dome.

If I had my way, the cables would never have been there in the first place. As a result of having them there is an indelible scar up the side of the dome and the trees that used to live on top are all gone, burnt by fools with no respect for the park. All the rest is not the same thing at all. Let's just set up a set of cables to the top of every other dangerously steep/exposed rock face in the world, shall we? and invite every unprepared, unfit person think that they should just be able to walk up them. It's a ridiculous expectation. You don't need to go to the top of Half Dome to enjoy views or enjoy the rest of the park. There is no entitlement for anyone to claim to an easy walk up summit of any other peak - nor is there one for Half Dome. Rip 'em down. Go up it if you're prepared, whenever you like - without the cables that'll leave folks with learning to climb and using the gear they bring with them, and hey, that works for the rest of the rock faces....

Half Dome hikers bring in a nice chunk of revenue for the park though. Not all rock faces, domes, mountains, are as iconic as Half Dome. No need to set up cables for places no one wants to go to. If the park doesn't want people going up, usage of the Dome's image as a marketing tool ought to be limited/reduced. Yes, El Capitan & other landmarks are also used, but Half Dome is the one. When the Conservancy sends the annual mailing stickers with my name/address, they have Half Dome on it. California's quarter with Muir has Half Dome on it.

There's no magic solution that makes everyone happy, that's for sure.
May 13, 2013 01:10AM
AlmostThere
chicagocwright

As for biking, the pool, etc... you may want to check out the recent plans for doing away with such things! There have always been those who would shut down vehicle traffic into the valley. I've never been one of those. I'd rather see the wilderness be wilderness, and the front country is fine as it is.

I prefer to acknowledge the positive aspects of Half Dome, Yosemite and the cables, and hikers who have achieved that pinnacle of a summit. We could tear out all the trails across the entire park and everyone would be safer. But that would make only a few people happy.

I'm well aware of the other efforts regarding the pool, biking, ice rink, etc. That is what is ridiculous. That and complaints about constant overcrowding on the cable route when on any given August perfect weather afternoon you can find yourself completely alone on the cable route.
May 13, 2013 06:59AM
chicagocwright
AlmostThere
chicagocwright

I prefer to acknowledge the positive aspects of Half Dome, Yosemite and the cables, and hikers who have achieved that pinnacle of a summit. We could tear out all the trails across the entire park and everyone would be safer. But that would make only a few people happy.

I'm well aware of the other efforts regarding the pool, biking, ice rink, etc. That is what is ridiculous. That and complaints about constant overcrowding on the cable route when on any given August perfect weather afternoon you can find yourself completely alone on the cable route.

The trails should stay. The cables - the attractive nuisance - should go.

There is risk and then there is RISK. The cliffs and rock faces should be climbing routes.

The trails are for anyone who can walk.

I feel zero positive vibes for a single item that has encouraged so many people to lose their minds to peak fever and suffer and die. I feel zero need to preserve a set of cables that I see people crawl up to climb, determined to do it, only to never go hiking again. The last time I went I ended up giving away all my water to idiots and fools who weren't dressed properly, didn't bring enough of anything, lost their water bottle (there's another danger - people who drop things while going up the cables - one death due to someone automatically reaching for a camera that came sliding down the granite), didn't bring sunscreen, dehydrated, exhausted, blood blisters on the feet, etc. SAR should be out rescuing the many legitimate inadvertent lost and hurt in the park, as happens every day - not devoting resources to the half dozen injuries and issues PER DAY that are willfully and deliberately obtained on a single trail. The cables are a ridiculous black hole into which park funds are poured and only results in people hurt each day, killed each year, and for what? A view not unlike the views one can get on much more reasonable walk-up peak tops.

Ain't the same at all. Don't need the cables.
May 13, 2013 11:58AM
AlmostThere

There is risk and then there is RISK. The cliffs and rock faces should be climbing routes.

I feel zero positive vibes for a single item that has encouraged so many people to lose their minds to peak fever and suffer and die. I feel zero need to preserve a set of cables that I see people crawl up to climb, determined to do it, only to never go hiking again. The last time I went I ended up giving away all my water to idiots and fools who weren't dressed properly, didn't bring enough of anything, lost their water bottle (there's another danger - people who drop things while going up the cables - one death due to someone automatically reaching for a camera that came sliding down the granite), didn't bring sunscreen, dehydrated, exhausted, blood blisters on the feet, etc. SAR should be out rescuing the many legitimate inadvertent lost and hurt in the park, as happens every day - not devoting resources to the half dozen injuries and issues PER DAY that are willfully and deliberately obtained on a single trail. The cables are a ridiculous black hole into which park funds are poured and only results in people hurt each day, killed each year, and for what? A view not unlike the views one can get on much more reasonable walk-up peak tops.

I'm sure the park has weighed the benefits and costs of HD, the most important attraction. Money wins. % of unprepared/injured people is considered too small. It'd be interesting to see how much moolah this single trail brings in: for the Lodge/Ahwahnee, village store, that silly pizza deck :p, permits/campgrounds, etc.

People do stupid things driving on (dangerous) roads too. How many injuries/deaths occur from simply not wearing seat belts or thru the use of a "smart" phone?
May 13, 2013 12:27PM
Ohnivy-Drak
AlmostThere

I'm sure the park has weighed the benefits and costs of HD, the most important attraction. Money wins. % of unprepared/injured people is considered too small. It'd be interesting to see how much moolah this single trail brings in: for the Lodge/Ahwahnee, village store, that silly pizza deck :p, permits/campgrounds, etc.

People do stupid things driving on (dangerous) roads too. How many injuries/deaths occur from simply not wearing seat belts or thru the use of a "smart" phone?

There are always going to be unprepared and/or stupid people no matter where you go. I have also given people my water, a snack, band aids, sunscreen, etc and this was just on a walk to Mirror Lake. Or as I said to someone in Yellowstone trying to feed a moose a hotdog, "Do you really think he is going to eat that and is it worth the possibility of being killed to find out?" As Forrest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does."
May 13, 2013 01:03PM
You honestly saw someone trying to feed a moose a hot dog in Yellowstone?!?
Aside from the absurdity of trying to feed a herbivore processed meat, I can't imagine being close enough to a moose to lure it into a nibble on a hot dog. Not quite the same as enticing a horse to munch on a carrot.

Admittedly, too many people think the proportion of Bullwinkle to Rocky is close to reality and that they're just as friendly. But that's still insane.

P.S. I apologize for being part of the rabbit trail this thread has run down, but seriously, a moose eating a hot dog. I just can't walk away from that.
May 13, 2013 03:24PM
Yes, it is true. It happened in 2006. We entered Yellowstone by the south entrance and less than 1/4 of a mile from the entrance station was a man trying to feed the moose. One thing that we could never figure out how it happen was that on the same trip, between the entrance and Lewis Lake in Yellowstone, there was a Land Rover Discovery that went off the road and was lodged about 10 feet off the ground between two trees. We would have pulled off and taken a picture but the emergency people waved us on.

I could write a book about what we have seen people do in parks. I have a great t-shirt that I got in Jackson, WY that sort of says it all.

Feed the bears.
Squat with your spurs on.
Let your kids ride the elk
Picnic in poison ivy.
Drive fast and pass on curves.
We thank you for your support.
Jackson Hole Paramedics
May 13, 2013 04:38PM
I would read that book. Btw, I'm still shaking my head at how surreal that must have been--"here moosie, moosie, moosie"
May 13, 2013 04:05PM
Etrain

You honestly saw someone trying to feed a moose a hot dog in Yellowstone?!?

That man is the very definition of a "Touron".

Not all tourists are tourons, but sadly, far too many truly are.

May 13, 2013 08:59PM
Okay I've got to comment on the moose. We live with moose constantly around. Often we believe one beds next to our house where the dryer vent is. Occasionally someone will do something dumb like pet a moose and be fine but more often are the stories of how much more frequently there is a moose attack rather than bear attacks. Every hiker, biker and trail runner around here knows to beware. The size are amazing. I've seen plenty Lower 48 Moose in Yellowstone and mostly New Hampshire but the moose here are just gigantic. Here is a young one just down the street. We are probably about 6 feet away in the van and stopped to take this picture of this small moose along the road less than a month ago:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 09:04PM by chicagocwright.
May 13, 2013 09:05PM
I've seen moose in Glacier NP and on Isle Royale. On Isle Royale...you're talking about an animal with probably 8 foot shoulders, staying out of its way really shouldn't be a difficult call. In Glacier...somewhat smaller.
May 13, 2013 04:41PM
Of course I believe the trails should stay. I just have a hard time understanding how logically anyone who is a lover of Yosemite can be so negative toward Half Dome. It's not about the view up there. It is about the view after you get back to the Valley. All the negatives you speak of regarding the Half Dome hike are magnified in the simple Mist Trail hike. Should we close that also? I'm actually suspicious that you are lumping the Half Dome hike in with the Mist Trail problems with unprepared tourists, making closing Half Dome a practically useless measure to address many of the problems you are bringing up.

This all ends up turning into a discussion of the balance between preserving nature and allowing access. I don't have a magical answer to that but for regular visitors on this forum they know how to avoid the crowds if desired. I love being alone in Yosemite. But I also love the excitement of being on a standing room only Shuttle Bus and watching the crowds excitement as they see a deer in the meadow. I love watching the crowds pour out of the Tour Buses at Tunnel View and seeing their reaction to their first time visit. If you don't like those scenes avoid them. But don't begrudge them. And certainly don't punish everybody by taking away access because some people act stupidly.
May 13, 2013 04:45PM
chicagocwright
standing room only Shuttle Bus

I have usually just come down the JMT when I ride a shuttle. Being packed in like that when I'm still hot from the hike doesn't please me (or probably anybody around me).
May 13, 2013 04:56PM
eeek
chicagocwright

I have usually just come down the JMT when I ride a shuttle. Being packed in like that when I'm still hot from the hike doesn't please me (or probably anybody around me).

That's why there's a snack stand by the Happy Isles shuttle bus stop. So you can purchase a cold drink and cool off before boarding the overcrowded shuttle bus.

wink

May 13, 2013 09:34PM
plawrence
eeek
chicagocwright

That's why there's a snack stand by the Happy Isles shuttle bus stop. So you can purchase a cold drink and cool off before boarding the overcrowded shuttle bus.

wink

That's why I'll REALLY miss the snack stand if they remove it like they're talking about.

Last time I came down trail after 5 days that Hot Dog and Soda really hit the spot!
May 13, 2013 05:04PM
eeek
chicagocwright

I've been in that situation also---on both sides. But I have a positive spin on this also.

When I'm the hiker I am ready to be done, sit down and relax (at Curry Pizza Deck of course), but recognize I am very near my destination.

When I'm the tourist (with my family) I am (or my kids are) enthralled with the hiker and what he has just accomplished. I've seen raggedy guys just finishing a through hike of JMT in the Valley and I always find them fascinating. They have always been happy to oblige a couple questions about their trip.

Seriously they smell but so what? It's the whole point of being at a place like Yosemite. As the hiker who is tired I'm happy for the tourist who gets to see three deer in the meadow--Not mad at them because are crowding up the bus and acting like they have never seen a deer before.
May 13, 2013 06:32PM
Chicagocwright has it exactly right.

I, too, love to get away from the crowds in the Valley. But they are interesting, in their own way. It's like a giant petting zoo, where you can mingle with the specimens. More to the point, they have every right to experience Yosemite in their own way. They aren't trying to change the rules so as to keep you out, as some of you seem to want to do to them. Their family traditions are just as valid as yours. If that includes puffing up the Mist Trail, getting blisters and sunburn, and gawking like a bunch of tourists, fine. If it means a once-in-a-lifetime trip up the cables, fine. The cables are an historical artifact, and I would be very sorry to see them go.

The touristy part of the valley is a very tiny part of Yosemite Park. There is no need to restore it to someone else's idea of perfection.
May 13, 2013 06:48PM
Some times the crowds are fun to watch. Otherwise, I just go to another part of the park to get away from them. I have also found places in the valley to hide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 06:48PM by parklover.
May 13, 2013 06:33PM
The only reason that Yellowstone guy tried to feed a
hot dog to a moose is because the beast wouldn't
touch his old lady's tater salad.
May 13, 2013 06:46PM
AnotherDave
The only reason that Yellowstone guy tried to feed a
hot dog to a moose is because the beast wouldn't
touch his old lady's tater salad.

In this case it would have been sushi.
May 13, 2013 08:06PM
eeek
I have usually just come down the JMT when I ride a shuttle. Being packed in like that when I'm still hot from the hike doesn't please me (or probably anybody around me)

The last few times I came down the JMT, I looked the crowd over and took off walking. I was only going to Lower Pines anyway, so waiting for a shuttle with room on it wouldn't have saved me much time. Not too many people use that part of the Valley Loop Trail (if that's what it is). Almost everyone is on the shuttle, or waiting for it. The trail is shady and even breezy (or maybe the breeze was just because I was walking fast). grinning smiley
May 14, 2013 02:06AM

I looked the crowd over and took off walking.

That's what I usually do. But there are times I'm just so damn worn out...
May 14, 2013 04:23PM
I understand why many think the Half Dome cables should not be there. If they were not already there I certainly would not be in favor of them being put in. However, if it were not for the cables my wife and I would have never hiked to the top of Half Dome. It will remain a memorable enough trip that we will talk about it forever.

They may not belong there, but they have made many, many people very happy with incredible memories they would otherwise never have had. Maybe not enough justification, but I'll take it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 04:24PM by Hitech.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login