All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping on Tioga Road
May 09, 2013 01:23PM
Hoping to hit Yosemite for a 3-4 day trip some time this month. Was just wondering if any of the campgrounds up on Tioga were open.
I know that there are more first-come-first-served up top compared to in the valley,and I don't really want to stay and camp 4.
If anyone knows if some are open and could let me know, that would be much appreciated.

The last time I stayed up top it was at WhiteWolf. Hiked to top of Yosemite Falls on the first day, then Harden Lake the next day.
What are some good hikes to do up top. Preferably day hikes, but I could be down to get a back country permit for a night or two.

If all else fails, I'll stay in the valley and try out 4-mile and maybe Mist again.
avatar Re: Camping on Tioga Road
May 09, 2013 02:44PM
None are open... and won't be for awhile...

(unless you count Hodgden)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Camping on Tioga Road
May 09, 2013 02:59PM
I always check the NPS website just for basic info. Saw that most of them don't really open until June.
But I like to come on here and ask hoping people will have more personal information.
I'm assuming now ite more budget controlled than weather controlled.
Guess I'm stuck in the valley.
May 09, 2013 03:09PM
This is interesting too:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

Maybe look into some NF CGs outside the park too.

Or just ditch it in the woods on NF Land.

smiling smiley

Have fun
(just trying to help)

(I have no insider info other than I like to go there a whole lot)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 09, 2013 03:12PM
I recently had a trip up to Buck Meadows (on the 120 just west of Yosemite) for an annual camping trip. Not bad to go hang out and shoot some stuff, but scenery doesn't compare.

Appreciate the input.
May 09, 2013 03:16PM
JamesMac
I recently had a trip up to Buck Meadows (on the 120 just west of Yosemite) for an annual camping trip. Not bad to go hang out and shoot some stuff, but scenery doesn't compare.

Hopefully not cute bears such as Blue72?
May 09, 2013 04:06PM
Ohnivy-Drak
JamesMac

Hopefully not cute bears such as Blue72?

Never any animals. There's some campsites @ hamilton station loop, one of which is near an old water tower already swiss cheesed by gunfire.

Did someone shoot a bear in that area? I almost never see animals at Hamilton Station unless its a squirell or a horse.
May 09, 2013 06:31PM
There was a post earlier about the death of a legally-shot bear outside the Big Oak Flat entrance here.
May 09, 2013 07:04PM
That's pretty sad. I've had many "encounters" with bears in the Yosemite area as well as in Wyoming and Alaska. Can't imagine why you would shoot it unless it was an IDLH situation.
May 09, 2013 03:26PM
JamesMac
Guess I'm stuck in the valley.

The Forest Service campgrounds at Lee Vining Creek might be a better choice than the Valley.
May 09, 2013 04:07PM
Never heard of it. Which means I'll definitely have to check it out. Can't go completely wrong with trying something new, right?
May 09, 2013 05:46PM
JamesMac
Never heard of it. Which means I'll definitely have to check it out. Can't go completely wrong with trying something new, right?

It's pretty and only a few miles from Tioga Pass.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.929305,-119.157371&t=t4&z=14

Lee Vining Creek

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/lee-vining/sh-dscn1795.jpg.html
May 16, 2013 11:59AM
Is there any "backcountry" camping you can do in this area?
Or do you know of any areas just outside Yosemite?

Some friends and I are hoping to do a 2-3 night backpacking trip around June 10.
I have a fire permit from the USFS station and have most of my gear ready.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
May 16, 2013 01:41PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "backcountry" camping. Lee Vining Canyon is day-use only, so dispersed camping (car camping outside of developed campsites) is not allowed there. There is plenty of dispersed camping--and several primitive campgrounds--in the national forest lands between Mammoth Lakes and Lee Vining--consult the Inyo National Forest website for information and regulations.
May 16, 2013 04:42PM
Basically anywhere where there won't be many if any people. Preferably not at a campground.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login