Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Photos from last weekend

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 14, 2013 01:36AM
avatar Re: Photos from last weekend
May 14, 2013 01:56AM
ohhhfff! quite amazing!
May 14, 2013 02:03AM
Snow! I could use some snow right now.
May 14, 2013 05:55AM
Really nice compositions. Esp. #1,2,4. By the way, which peaks are they, and where'd you shoot from?
May 14, 2013 12:30PM
Etrain
Really nice compositions. Esp. #1,2,4. By the way, which peaks are they, and where'd you shoot from?
I'd say
1- unicorn, cockscomb
2- lyell (nice amount of snow!) & macclure
4- conness

3- young lake, fairview, lembert, clouds rest, half dome, tenaya lake & more
5- cathedral

from young lakes trail

nice work!
May 14, 2013 01:50PM
Lembert isn't visible in the pict. I think Conness isn't visible from Lembert either.

He's on top of Conness taking some of those pix...

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 14, 2013 04:44PM
chick-on
Lembert isn't visible in the pict.

Oops- yeah you right! Pothole & Daff it is.

chick-on
I think Conness isn't visible from Lembert either.
He's on top of Conness taking some of those pix...

Yes, I think no Conness from Lembertty, but Conness in #4
May 14, 2013 10:15PM
Thanks, guys. Yeah you got the IDs on those shots. Evelyn outlet last year was no big deal, your gonna get wet boots anyway when you are wading around all day in slush. In anticipation, I added a pair of thin neoprene diving boots to my pack, a couple of ounces, $15. They came in handy at Delaney Creek which looked about 10 foot deep where the trail crossed. If worse came to worse, I figured I could wear them inside my boots.

I didn't make it to the top of Ragged, or Conness, for that matter - I'd been up both before, so I wasn't too bothered. With the latter, I could throw a rock at the summit but there was one sketchy stretch right here:

I had an axe but the snow was wobbly and loose and there was no room to self arrest, a couple thousand feet straight down on either side of this.
I wanted to write Happy Mother's Day! in the book (and perhaps bag the year's first summit?) but it was probably buried so this is my Happy Mother's Day! shot.

I sure hope nobody follows my descent tracks, they are totally "off-route." As are most of my paths; it feels strange leaving evidence. I just wanted to see if that gully would go - it did.
May 14, 2013 10:36PM
QITNL

I had an axe but the snow was wobbly and loose and there was no room to self arrest, a couple thousand feet straight down on either side of this.
I wanted to write Happy Mother's Day! in the book (and perhaps bag the year's first summit?) but it was probably buried so this is my Happy Mother's Day! shot.

Rule #1: get home safely! Sounds like fine judgement on your part.
May 15, 2013 09:21AM
vdrummer
QITNL

Rule #1: get home safely! Sounds like fine judgement on your part.

Yes!
May 15, 2013 03:31PM
Good choice. That ridge was dicey enough for me with a few patches of snow early last year. I wouldn't have wanted to tackle it with the amount of snow that's on it now.
May 14, 2013 06:49AM
Nice.

Did you go to the top of Ragged too?
Like the Fairview/Clouds one... give good overview of conditions...
Peeps gonna be in for a eye opening... tried last month to make that pt.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,64696,65097#msg-65097
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,65098,65131#msg-65131

Hope ur not bitter about postholing thru Evelyn outlet last year.
(I'm bringing snowshoes nxt weekend btw wink )

Have fun man

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 15, 2013 03:34PM
QITNL, what's snow coverage like? Floatation necessary? I'm thinking about playing in the TM or Tioga Pass areas this weekend, trying to decide what to bring.
May 15, 2013 04:12PM
I posted this on the Snow Line thread:

Below the 8600 ft, there's very little snow. Plowing didn't take much work. TM Campground is pretty dry. About as snow-free as I've ever seen it on opening day.

Go up another 500-1000 feet and conditions change pretty quickly. In fact, this is as much snow as I've ever seen on opening day, going back 5 odd years.

It's shaping up into a nice bed of Sierra cement but I'm glad I brought my snowshoes.

For the next couple of weeks, if I were heading up over 9000ft on north facing slopes, I'd bring snowshoes - or be prepared to posthole. Below that, they shouldn't be necessary.
May 15, 2013 11:07PM
Here are a few more shots to give you an idea of how things look. A few more here, and more to come when I get around to it:
http://www.qitnl.com/v/051113/

May 16, 2013 12:11AM
Awesome photos! Thanks for posting more of them.

May 16, 2013 08:17AM
Great image quality! What camera & lens?
May 14, 2013 08:49AM
I am envious. Looks like it was a great time to be up there!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login