Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 1st Yosemite Backpacking Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

1st Yosemite Backpacking Trip
May 16, 2013 11:47AM
Hello all! I'm planning a week long Yosemite trip in July and would greatly appreciate a planning review and reality check. I've been reading this forum for several months and greatly enjoy the knowledgeable feedback you always provide. Thank you in advance!

Background info:

We will be a three person party (1 advanced and 2 intermediate in fitness) going for a slow and beautiful trail-only adventure through the park. We will be renting two bear cans at the park. I tried to get a wilderness permit for a Cathedral Lakes to Happy Isles route but was unsuccesful. Luckily I was able to get a Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang permit instead. My entry date is July 16, and the route I've planned so far should be in the photo below;

Days 1-2: Valley camping and sightseeing
Day 3: Hiker bus to TM. Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang area (best place to set up tents?)
Day 4: Up to Vogelsang Pass, down Lewis Creek, past Merced Lake and camp in Echo Valley.
Day 5: Up to Clouds Rest via a "pack trail" and down the back side to camp at JMT/CRT junction.
Day 6: Morning Half Dome summit (included in my permit) and down mist trail to the valley.

Basically I'm looking for any insider knowledge, thoughts and opinions on my trip I've planned, and camp locations. I just don't want to dissapoint the others for which I've promised alot. I know this is a ton of eleveation +/- but we plan on taking it slow. Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 02:08PM by chick-on.
avatar Re: 1st Yosemite Backpacking Trip
May 16, 2013 02:14PM
I edited ur post so the picture shows up...

I dunno about camping right AT Vogelsang. I think you are suppose
to camp at the "BP Campground" near the HS camp. I prefer Townsley.
Or if REALLY early... Vog Lake.
One option you should consider is to hike to your 3rd dot (Sunrise Crk / CR Jct)
with your packs... setup shop... and then dayhike up to CR and back down.
Your buddies will prob. thank you... and some of them may opt. to lounge instead.
Just an idea. Either that or extend a day or so and camp near CR.

Have fun

(to show ur pict. I hit quote to get the url... and then saw the other share options to get the link correct)

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 16, 2013 02:15PM
I forgot to say if ur friends are disappointed... sheesh.

May 16, 2013 02:40PM
As you approach Vogelsang HSC a side trail heads left towards Evelyn Lake. Just a very short ways along that trail is the backpacker's camping area, including a very small toilet building so you will not have to dig cat holes that first night.
May 16, 2013 02:45PM
It has been out of commission recently... so that may not be so. May have to dig for it.

May 16, 2013 02:50PM
Always have the old plastic spade w/ me.
May 16, 2013 04:17PM
chick-on
It has been out of commission recently... so that may not be so. May have to dig for it.
Q-rect. It's out of commission but still serves as a "landmark". The back packers campground is in the vicinity of the outhouse. Any campsite in the area is where the OP should set up unless he/she wants to go to Townsley or Vogelsang lake. To me, Townsley and V. Lake are more picturesque and probably less crowded.
May 16, 2013 06:12PM
worded it wrong. I just want them have a blast since I convinced them to take a week off work and buy a cross country plane ticket to cross off one of my bucket list items.
May 16, 2013 06:14PM
Thanks for posting the photo for me!

I like your idea of setting up camp and then going to Clouds Rest. Makes a lot more sense.
May 17, 2013 07:40AM
Just bear in mind you drop about 700 ft. from the high trail jct. with JMT to the
CR/JMT junction. But it's 2000 ft. up to summit of Clouds from that same jct.
(so... that be about 2700 ft. up from CR/JMT Jct. to CR Summit)
Hiking 2700 ft up is much easier carrying some water and snacks than carrying
30+ pounds. It will be nice and warm too... which plays into it.
I've spewed about a million times now how much Merced River Canyon kicks
booty... so you can't really go wrong if you end up deciding to head towards
LYV instead of going that higher trail... and then just hiking up HD from there...
(maybe skipping CR) (it's a "fairly" simple dayhike from Tenaya Lake if u got the time)

Anywho.... have fun and I hope you do wutt ur goal is.

As for camping... there's a zillion nice places to camp... spend some time exploring
to find ur Nirvana. For me great place doesn't have to have any water anywhere near.
Just a nice view with no one else in sight.

Have fun

May 16, 2013 04:25PM
One more thought. I recommend you spend at least on night in TM to acclimate. Don't underestimate the effect of altitude, regardless of your level of fitness. So you might want to start at TM, and hike to Vogelsang, then to the valley. Then take the shuttle back to your car.
May 16, 2013 05:42PM
^That's a good idea. Or take the shuttle bus up to TM on Day 2, camp in the backpacker's camp there, eat a hamburger, dayhike Lembert Dome. You'll be bright and bushy tailed as you hike out to Vog on Day 3.
May 17, 2013 08:51AM
It is unlikely that your friends will be disappointed with this trip. I took a very similar route a few years back and to date it was one of my favorites. After you come across the pass and descend to Lewis Creek a side trail runs to Bernice Lake. It’s an additional 2 miles or so (about 1 mile each way), but IMHO it is well worth the time and effort. It would be an enjoyable place for lunch and an afternoon swim.
May 19, 2013 12:27PM
Awesome looking trip but beware the nice established camp sites at the JMT/CR junction. That is, unless you like large furry friends visiting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login