All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

HD Fevah!
May 21, 2013 03:41AM
We have, by the grace of the Yosemite Gods, been granted a permit to attempt Half Dome. Although being a noob has proven a bit frustrating and confusing with regard to how you line up the dates for an HD permit, Happy Isles TH permit, campground resi etc etc etc. After spending more and more time on this site reading and looking at gobs of wonderful stories and pictures I had decided that missing HD would not be the end of the world. Actually just a great reason for the return trip! The boss has other ideas though...shocking! Her plan is to now go via Glacier Point. I think she has a touch of HD fevah. Just wondering about this hike and the any ideas on how to retrieve the car. As always thanks for your thoughts, ideas and smaht azz comments...
May 21, 2013 07:04AM
As Yoda wood sey...
"attempt not... do"

Purty sure there is a shuttle up to Glass-e-er Point.
Ewe can leave the cah in da vallie then... and hike ur
lazie booty back down there instead of hiking back
up to Glass-e-errrrr Point.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: HD Fevah!
May 22, 2013 04:22AM
Sweeeeet, we are early risers though so we may drive up and daddy can take the shuttle back up to fetch the sled while the family relaxes with some of the famous pizza at Curry Village...
May 22, 2013 06:53AM
Dunno how those times will work for you... I presume you perused/abuse/sa-noozed this:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx

May 22, 2013 01:11PM
Starting from Glacier Point would take longer but you would get to hike the Panorama Trail which is a beautiful trail - However, this is not what most people do - I'm assuming you are going to hike HD in one day - People who do this start out of the Valley at Happy Isles very early in the morning like 5AM so they are making it past Nevada Falls around 8AM - You can easily make it to the top before noon starting this early - You do this to avoid having to hike uphill in the hot sun, not to mention less traffic.

If you take the shuttle to Glacier Point, you will not start the hike until 10AM earliest - You will be hiking down to the Valley in the evening - but hiking up while it's hot - You arrive at the summit close to the middle of the afternoon when there is more likelihood of Thunderstorms - - I don't recommend doing it this way. Yes, I know that the Mist trail is steep and you go up 2K Ft to Nevada Falls from the Valley floor but early in the morning while it's cool, it's very nice - plus you have beautiful scenery with the waterfalls as you go up.....and you don't have to worry about shuttles or getting back to where you drop the car off.

Now, if you are staying the night in LYV, then starting at GP makes sense, you then get up early the next day to go to the top - But, if you have a TH permit from Happy Isles, the Rangers are expecting you to start at that TH not GP.

The most important thing if I were you - WATER and plenty of it - I would even get a purifier and replenish your water supply at the Merced River near Nevada Falls before continuing on the trail - Each time I have climbed Half Dome I see people really struggling who would be enjoying the hike if they were hydrated. I would also be running at least 2 or 3 miles a day before flying out here to get your endurance up - it helps and makes the hike that much more enjoyable.

Oh and the Curry Pizza deal - Look, I'm quiet since this site is loaded with "Curry Pizza Psychos" but as a native New Englander who was weaned on pizza from the North End of Boston, you are going to be keenly disappointed if you have high expectations - The only thing I can figure is that hikers are so hungry when they finish, they get a pizza and beer and feel like they are eating an imported deep dish from Chicago - Honestly, the pizza tastes like DiGiorno's - it's nothing special (This will probably generate 50 angry responses but I don't care - sometimes you need to hurt the ones you love - and the people on this forum are great people)

Furthermore, I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend any of the food in Yosemite (I only like the deli sandwiches from Degnan's) BUT - Since you will be in CA, when you get closer to the city, you have to get some of the Mexican food - A good Mexican place in CA is pretty awesome - not too much like that in Boston - wicked pissa!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 01:16PM by SoCalCPA.
May 22, 2013 01:31PM
smiling smiley

Curry Village Pizza has without question the best Pizza in the world!
If you think otherwise then obviously you are a hater.
I mean they just hired Amy. So it has to be true.

I heard that they also started selling Twinkees[tm]

Confused?

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,66479

I highly recommend the Fig Pear Proscuitto

o ding dong!

LOL
tongue sticking out smiley

May 23, 2013 12:42AM
You have at least one thing in common with Amy...

Both of you appear to be fans of Chef Boyardee!

From Amy's Baking Company's Facebook Page:

Versus:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 12:43AM by plawrence.
May 23, 2013 06:58AM
Well.. obviously Amy really is sane. It would be pretty stupid to try to improve on something so good.

My lunchie last Saturday:

(the Cloud Cake was eaten at din din)
tongue sticking out smiley

May 27, 2013 09:11AM
We have a purifier so we should be good to go as far as the H20 goes. Running 2-3 miles a day... not so much. Being a large mammal is part of the reason hiking works for me, its not running. I have been logging some miles every day with my pack on though so i may not need a defibrillator.
May 22, 2013 01:35PM
Chick-On - You know how much I love you bro! Heck, I even named my first born male child after you. You are the Yosemite trail master extraordinaire!!!

However, if you like Curry Pizza that much, you need to go back on your meds! smiling smiley
May 22, 2013 01:39PM
Me tinks ewe no clicky on link and watch da vide-yo-yo.
smiling smiley

Amy is a psycho and needs some meds. I might have some extras fo her.
Not sure they would do any good tho.

Half Dome a Good one

LOL
(Loopy On Lithium)
(Lots O Luck) (Amy)

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 01:43PM by chick-on.
May 22, 2013 05:13PM
still a noob... did not put enough info about the rest of the plan. or my version of what may possibly be a plan. and away we go
1. we are not doing HD as a day hike, hoping to get some miles in, drop, get up and down the next day
2. i was thinking it would be nice to spend one or two of my ten nights in an actual bed. so curry village the night before, up early to Glacier Point and on the trail. Crash somewhere close to lessen the day two hike out.
4. the other thought was to get to Bridalveil Campground the night before pitch a tent and drive from there to Glacier Point

Either way the pizza is hapnin! Amy is certifiable as is her husband! and i am going to be in Yosemite in a little over a month!

and yes SoCal you are correct it does not matter at the end of a long day on the trail...Digiorno will be Chi town deep dish, cant wait for it. Although it does make we wonder if they have any Anchor Steam? It has been a few years since i was on the West Coast, West Coast.
sorry the Tazmanian Devils just came to mind. great song!
May 22, 2013 05:27PM
Patsfan,
I love all the folks here also but Curry Pizza Deck often comes under attack (just like the Half Dome Cables). The naysayers just don't know a good pizza! I mean SoCalCPA!--Obviously has lived in the land of California Pizza Kitchen WAY too long.
May 22, 2013 06:07PM
Knew it wouldn't take long for you to respond Chicago smiling smiley - Pizza is bad for you! - You need to go home and eat more green vegetables - like your mom told you growing up

I figure tanngrisnir3 will add to the conversation pretty soon

Chick-On - I had to wait to the end of the day to check out that video - Amy, most certainly, is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - How quick can anyone kill a business!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 06:09PM by SoCalCPA.
May 22, 2013 09:09PM
SoCal. Hopefully you got some amusement out of it. Amy is a whack job.
I really don't get into the talk of food. I'd rather give people a hard time or talk
about places to go and things to see. Awhile back there was a huge discussion
about food.... my response was this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,60337,60337#msg-60337

Hope you have some great adventures this year.
Regards,

(O... Pizza is a food group though)

May 22, 2013 09:26PM
chick-on
SoCal. Hopefully you got some amusement out of it. Amy is a whack job.
I really don't get into the talk of food. I'd rather give people a hard time or talk
about places to go and things to see. Awhile back there was a huge discussion
about food.... my response was this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,60337,60337#msg-60337

Hope you have some great adventures this year.
Regards,

Samy and Amy, at least, are safely isolated in Scottsdale, AZ, where I'm unlikely to encounter them.

Eh...I take decent white wine (prefer reds, but don't think they handle backpacking well) in a PlatyPreserve on short trips (and St. George Spirits' gin, or aged rums or tequilas in a nalgene flask on longer trips). Enjoyable consumables are a good thing.
May 22, 2013 11:49PM
ttilley
(prefer reds, but don't think they handle backpacking well)

I've always taken reds. They don't need to be chilled.
May 23, 2013 12:07AM
eeek
ttilley

But bourbon (and other spirits) weigh less than any wine. wink

May 23, 2013 06:37AM
eeek
ttilley

I don't think reds taste the same after being poured into the PlatyPreserve, put in the bear can, and knocked around.

The Sierra cools down enough towards evening, and some whites are fine with only moderate chilling (Viognier and Pinot Gris work well for me).
May 23, 2013 08:23AM
ttilley
eeek
ttilley

I don't think reds taste the same after being poured into the PlatyPreserve, put in the bear can, and knocked around.

The Sierra cools down enough towards evening, and some whites are fine with only moderate chilling (Viognier and Pinot Gris work well for me).

Tequila & Tang was always my favorite. Take one Sierra cup, fill to rim with snow. Sprinkle liberally with Tang. Pour on tequila to taste. Sit back and enjoy the view.
May 22, 2013 11:48PM
chick-on

Besides pizza and twinkies, what are the rest of the food groups?
May 23, 2013 06:43AM
chick-on

So is BF Mayo. H Mayo to you guys east of the Rockies.

Old Dude
May 22, 2013 11:49PM
SoCalCPA
Knew it wouldn't take long for you to respond Chicago smiling smiley - Pizza is bad for you! - You need to go home and eat more green vegetables - like your mom told you growing up

I figure tanngrisnir3 will add to the conversation pretty soon

Chick-On - I had to wait to the end of the day to check out that video - Amy, most certainly, is not the sharpest knife in the drawer - How quick can anyone kill a business!
And

Pizza is a vegetable!

And Amy---yikes! Did they really stay in business 6 years?
May 22, 2013 11:51PM
chicagocwright
And Amy---yikes! Did they really stay in business 6 years?

Nobody said anything about profit.
May 22, 2013 06:08PM
On point 3 (Bridalveil), will you be able to pick up your permit before permit offices close the night before the hike? There's no permit pickup at Glacier Point, so if you're getting the permit the day of the hike you should go with the Curry option, otherwise either would be OK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login