Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Crane Flat Campgrounds

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 22, 2013 09:12AM
i was talking to a Ranger yesterday about why the campground is still closed. she said it typically doesn't open until early June... i asked why...i said "but there isn't any snow, and there hasn't been for some time. Hodgdon Meadows is even higher elevation, yet it's been open all year round (with no snow for quite a while)".... she didn't really have a good answer other than they don't open it until early June.

unless she and i both are missing something, it seems really stupid they keep it closed when there is no snow.... there are sooooo many people wanting to reserve and use campsites.
avatar Re: Crane Flat Campgrounds
May 23, 2013 07:06PM
Not enough people to maintain/run the place until then? Just a guess...
Re: Crane Flat Campgrounds
May 23, 2013 07:40PM
Based on my experiences with White Wolf, the problem is with the water supply and the sewage system. They need to have the snow off, but also to have the ground unfrozen. And have a system that doesn't mind unseasonable heavy frosts.

Hogden Meadow, if it is open year round, has a year-round water and sewer system.

Of course, your dark suspicions could be correct, and they just might not have people scheduled to get up there and get it set up for use after the winter shutdown. Does Crane Flat have a full time caretaker in residence during the season?
May 23, 2013 07:37PM
Actually, Hodgdon Meadow (4750') is not higher than Crane Flat (6150')...

Paris92 is probably right though, personnel versus typical demand.
May 23, 2013 07:44PM
Don't know the flexibility NPS has in the timing of hiring seasonal employees, but in more TYPICAL years, there still would be snow around Crane Flat.

So unless the Park Service has some flexibility in being able to hire seasonal workers earlier (in years where there is less snow), they are probably stuck (due to the lack of manpower) in being able to open some campgrounds like Crane Flat early in years like this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login