Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Water source between Clouds Rest and Sunrise Lakes?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Water source between Clouds Rest and Sunrise Lakes?
May 23, 2013 09:05AM
Hello again. Just thinking about my JMT journey in July and we are going to start our trip with a side-trip to Half Dome then on to Clouds Rest. I have a pass-thru permit which I will back-track from HD/CR junction on day two then back over to CR. After Clouds Rest on to Sunrise Lakes . My question: is there a creek or water supply between Clouds Rest and Sunrise Lakes? All my maps show a creek, but possibly dry and two small ponds/lakes shortly after. I know it is early in the season but thought someone may remember from last year or so. Location is at 37º 47' 23.74" N - 119º 27' 40.66" W for the small lakes. Thanks in advance and have a GREAT Memorial Day weekend!
May 23, 2013 10:26AM
I hiked the section you're concerned about in early July of 2012. The following water sources were accurate:

This information was taken from a previous post from Chick-on.
avatar Re: Water source between Clouds Rest and Sunrise Lakes?
May 23, 2013 08:58PM
There is water, as shown in the locations above, between CR and Sunrise. It can get a bit scummy later in the season, however. July might be later in the season this year.

Since you are heading up HD, you might want to check out the spring on the way up there...and back down on your way to CR...beats hauling ALL of your water up from LYV...follow this thread Half Dome Water. I haven't been there in a couple of years and the pipe may have been removed, but the flow was pretty reliable.
May 23, 2013 09:31PM
And I think this year, all the snow melt should be free from any radioactive fallout. wink

May 24, 2013 02:16AM
Thanks to you all. Map is nice. I know of the spring you are talking about and used it last time up there. Radioactive fallout readings for sure "should" be down!! I will again have a full body dosimeter I will be wearing. I still to this day have not received any doses like I did back in 2011. 117 mrems out there and total life of wearing doimeters 118. Just for "Giggles"Rolling on floor laugh I will let you know the outcome of 29 days of exposure. You guys here are the best. Too funny! I wish you all "HAPPY TRAILS" this season.Bowing to his greatness
May 24, 2013 05:42AM
there must be a story here about the radioactivity that I am not aware of

of course, what matters is not that it is there, but does it make any real biological significance? ( not just statistical extrapolation)
May 24, 2013 07:28AM
Chick-on was exposed at 3-Mile Island and has left his aura throughout the High Sierra!Chickon Boo
May 24, 2013 07:38AM
tomdisco
Chick-on was exposed at 3-Mile Island and has left his aura throughout the High Sierra!Chickon Boo

Fairly certain I'm biologically insignificant
tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 24, 2013 01:57PM
h_lankford

there must be a story here about the radioactivity that I am not aware of

Don't recall the forum thread? You actually posted twice on it (back in 2011):

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,33554,33554

wink
May 24, 2013 07:37AM
Beardguy,
As long as you steer clear of Echo Lake you will probably be ok. Radioactivity is obviously
quite high there and caused a fish-die off over the winter.

Quite a number of very large dead fish in Echo when went by it Sat. Quite surprised...
didn't realize there were even any fish in the lake. Never saw any before. Lots of big ones.

In line with your question... the creek you cross... that will have water in it in July. That creek
has fish in it. I do not think it ever runs completely dry... but with a couple of drought
years in a row... could be wrong... but in July... I certainly wouldn't worry about water anywhere.
There is a spring along the switchers up to Clouds... I would guess that will be flowing too.
I'd skip the HD Pipe spring... and just get water at CR/JMT junction... unless you want to
see a pipe sticking out of the ground with no water flowing from it (it must be clogged).

Have fun and looking forward to anudder Radioactive Report

A la:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,43753,43753#msg-43753

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,33554,33554#msg-33554

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login