Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Dayhiking South Rim options

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Dayhiking South Rim options
May 24, 2013 12:23PM
Which is best? Please suggest alternatives and criticize the options I present.

1. Park car at 4.7 mile trailhead, hike to GP, down to Tunnel View via Pohono. Hitchhike (hopefully) back to car.

2. Park car at Tunnel View, hike Pohono to GP, down to valley via 4-mile or panorama/mist. Hitchhike back to Tunnel.

3. Park car at Lodge; hitchhike, or take GP tour bus, to Tunnel. Hike to GP, hike down 4-mile, cross Merced via Swinging Bridge, walk back to Lodge. Or hike to H.I., take shuttle back to Lodge.
May 24, 2013 04:16PM
You could just start at GP and hitch a ride when you get to tunnel view.
May 24, 2013 04:37PM
What about: start at Lodge or Sentinel Bridge shuttle stop, go up 4MT, then across and down the Pohono, but follow the old Wawona Road to Bridalveil instead of dropping to Tunnel View, then head around/across the valley floor to somewhere that the El Cap shuttle stops, taking that back to your start (after a transfer or two...)
May 24, 2013 05:05PM
KC
You could just start at GP and hitch a ride when you get to tunnel view.

Driving up to GP cheapens the experience, imho. Want as much exercise as possible. I've hiked virtually all of the south rim in several parts (multiple trips), but never in a single hike.

basilbop
What about: start at Lodge or Sentinel Bridge shuttle stop, go up 4MT, then across and down the Pohono, but follow the old Wawona Road to Bridalveil instead of dropping to Tunnel View, then head around/across the valley floor to somewhere that the El Cap shuttle stops, taking that back to your start (after a transfer or two...)

How often does the El Cap shuttle run? I've heard varying schedules: every 30 min, 1 hour, 90 min. 6PM is the last departure time from the Visitor Center, I'm assuming. If I get back early enough, a trek up to OMG. Clockwise or counter, including the El Cap Shuttle sounds good. Knowing me, I'll dally around many of the vista points and miss the last shuttle run completely. End up walking back to the car on foot, lol.
May 24, 2013 05:24PM
According to the shuttle guide on the NPS site (Hope it's a recent one..) El Cap Shuttle runs from 9-6, 10-20 minute intervals.. anyone with experience like to comment? I don't think the shuttle drivers care about schedules. They seem to go as fast as conditions permit.. Except for that break spot at the regular shuttle's #10 spot.
avatar Re: Dayhiking South Rim options
May 24, 2013 07:42PM
When were you thinking of going? As far as I know, the El Cap shuttle won't start running for another few weeks*. I was in the valley this week and saw no sign of it. In previous years it was running every 30 minutes.

I've only ridden the El Cap shuttle a few times. I don't find it that big a help for getting to and from the Four Mile Trailhead. I usually walk-- from Stop 7, or from Yosemite Lodge (if I'm arriving on YARTS) or even from Lower Pines (if I'm camping).

I guess if I were going to the El Cap area, the shuttle would make a difference. Sometimes I wish it ran to the Bridalveil Fall area.

-----------------------------------
*I stand corrected -- just saw this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 07:51PM by gophersnake.
May 24, 2013 11:04PM
gophersnake
When were you thinking of going? As far as I know, the El Cap shuttle won't start running for another few weeks*. I was in the valley this week and saw no sign of it. In previous years it was running every 30 minutes.

I've only ridden the El Cap shuttle a few times. I don't find it that big a help for getting to and from the Four Mile Trailhead. I usually walk-- from Stop 7, or from Yosemite Lodge (if I'm arriving on YARTS) or even from Lower Pines (if I'm camping).

I guess if I were going to the El Cap area, the shuttle would make a difference. Sometimes I wish it ran to the Bridalveil Fall area.

I'll be in the Park this coming Sun-Mon. Yea, I find it a bit annoying that they don't have shuttle service to Bridalveil/Tunnel area. South Rim is a bit tougher to dayhike than the North counterpart.
avatar Re: Dayhiking South Rim options
May 24, 2013 07:00PM
Park at tunnel view, hike Pohono to GP, catch a ride with someone returning to the valley
You'll arrive at GP at a time of day when people are heading back to the valley, you'll have someone to talk to on the way back, and you'll have quite a story to share
It might feel uncomfortable asking around, but I'm sure you'll find someone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login