Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Memorial Day at Fremont Lake (photos)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Memorial Day at Fremont Lake (photos)
May 27, 2013 08:30PM
I spent the long weekend at Fremont Lake, in the Hoover Wilderness on the north side of Yosemite. Spent two nights there, and in-between hiked peaklets on the south side of the lake and took pictures. Then drank wine.

There was no snow to deal with, though I guess there was snow nearby because I saw someone carrying a huge chunk of it because they had beer that needed cooling. The Walker River crossing was just above knee-deep and very cold, but no big deal otherwise. There were fish flies at Fremont Lake but no real mosquitoes - yet. There were lots of mosquitoes at the Walker River crossing (the only real mosquito issue...I think that crossing is the mosquito's true homeland). On the way in there was only one tree across the trail that needed to be stepped around, on the way out it was gone.

It was very crowded there - I'm guessing the combination of early melt, relatively lower terrain, and out-of-quota-period attracted a lot of people. Still, I found a spot above the lake with barely enough flat ground for one tent, and it worked fine.

Leavitt Meadow from CA-108:

Roosevelt Lake:

Fremont Lake from my campsite:

Alpenglow:

View of Tower Peak:

Fremont Lake from above:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 09:02PM by ttilley.
avatar Re: Memorial Day at Fremont Lake (photos)
May 28, 2013 01:37PM
Bowing to his greatness

I'm guessing you spent a painful drive from Sonora to beyond 108/120 split too...

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 28, 2013 04:29PM
chick-on
I'm guessing you spent a painful drive from Sonora to beyond 108/120 split too...

What was that?! I got sick of it, turned off on 49 south, and worked my way back to 108/120 at La Grange Rd.

Friday, going up, there was another long traffic jam from just east of the 108/120 split to Jamestown, apparently a wreck - I saw an ambulance headed west, as well as some debris.
May 28, 2013 04:39PM
ttilley
chick-on

What was that?! I got sick of it, turned off on 49 south, and worked my way back to 108/120 at La Grange Rd.

Friday, going up, there was another long traffic jam from just east of the 108/120 split to Jamestown, apparently a wreck - I saw an ambulance headed west, as well as some debris.

Went up early Friday so missed that. The whole mess coming back was due to the $%!@$! stoplight after the 120/108 split.
After that it was clear sailing. What a joke. Backed up a bit to Oakdale but turnoff at the Airport and skip all that mess...
O well... knew better than to come back on Memorial Day... or Labor Day.

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 04:40PM by chick-on.
Re: Memorial Day at Fremont Lake (photos)
May 28, 2013 05:12PM
Could have been the crowds traveling to and from the Strawberry Music Festival at Camp Mather.
May 28, 2013 06:55PM
KatyAnderson
Could have been the crowds traveling to and from the Strawberry Music Festival at Camp Mather.

On my detour, my 500 feet of driving on 120 between the 49 split and the La Grange turnoff in China Camp was largely car-free, as Chick-On notes 108 was hosed from (western) Sonora westward.

Any traffic volume issue would be specific to 108.
May 28, 2013 06:41PM
chick-on

The whole mess coming back was due to the $%!@$! stoplight after the 120/108 split.

You mean the light at O'Brynes Ferry Road? Or did Caltrans add another traffic light on 108/120?

I've noticed that at times, the O'Brynes Ferry Road light doesn't stay green long enough for Hwy 108/120. I can imagine the traffic backup it can cause on days like Memorial Day. Besides extending the green light for Hwy 108/120, Caltrans could also alleviate back-ups at that light by adding an extra lane (for about 500 feet) in each direction at the stop light, similar in what they did at Jack Tone Road/Hwy 120 intersection near Manteca.

May 28, 2013 06:28PM
Thanks for the photo and trip report. Looks like it was a another gorgeous Sierra weekend.
May 28, 2013 07:01PM
Monday PM may not have been so good, not sure. Given the forecast, I got out of camp by 8 Monday to get out before any weather hit. Mostly cloudy from around 8 to 10, got to the trailhead at 11:30 or so with largely clear skies. The clouds moved in quickly afterwards, it was sprinkling before I reached Strawberry.

Chick-On is talking about the O'Byrnes Ferry light, there isn't yet another one. Given the cars that typically line up on 120 at the 108 stop sign, putting a light at O'Byrnes and not at 120/108 seems odd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login