Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: North Dome and May Lake 5/25-27

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

North Dome and May Lake 5/25-27
May 29, 2013 10:33PM
My son and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at North Dome and May Lake. We originally wanted to go up to Young Lakes, but I didn't feel comfortable with the reports of the Dingley Creek crossings.

On the way out, we saw small patches of snow, but the ground already seemed very dry. From Indian Ridge onwards, we had a a cold wind which lasted until sundown, followed by a brilliant moon-rise that continued towards dawn.

The approach to May Lake was clear but both the backpackers camp and HSC was covered in patches of snow.

We got great views of the surrounding ranges (as well as a idea of snow levels) from the ridge above the HSC. I thought of trying to climb Mt. Hoffman, but my son was suffering a little from the cold and altitude so I'll save it for another time. We heard that the climb up had snow throughout, but that the top was clear. No technical gear needed.

We saw only two other small groups at the campsite compared to a trip last summer when the weather was warmer and the HSC was open.
And for those wondering about bugs.... we only had a nosy yellow-jacket on Indian Ridge.

Note: thanks to fellow posters and trip reports from the past couple of weeks; they really helped us plan our trip!
May 30, 2013 04:42AM
Gorgeous. I hope to do North Dome from the valley
in September. The view looks incredible.
avatar Re: North Dome and May Lake 5/25-27
May 30, 2013 07:43AM
Those are the first two places I brought my kids when they started joining me on my trips to the Sierras. They are the perfect introductory backpacking trips.

Thanks for the pictures!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 12:25PM by eeek.
May 30, 2013 02:33PM
Wow! What a glow on the face of Half Dome. I too have been wanting to do an overnight on top of North Dome. By the way, where did you get your water?

Thanks for the report.
May 30, 2013 06:29PM
We filled up at a small, unmarked creek which crosses the trail about 1/2 mile before the sign "0.3 miles to Indian Rock". Roughly 25 min from our camp. Royal Arch creek is about a 15 min descent, but 25 min back up. On the way there's an un-named creek bed, but it was already(!) dry.
May 31, 2013 08:57AM
OL
We filled up at a small, unmarked creek which crosses the trail about 1/2 mile before the sign "0.3 miles to Indian Rock". Roughly 25 min from our camp. Royal Arch creek is about a 15 min descent, but 25 min back up. On the way there's an un-named creek bed, but it was already(!) dry.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Just looked through your photos again, good stuff!
May 30, 2013 03:37PM
I went to May Lake last year on Memorial Day. There was more snow/mud than in your photos and last year was a dry year. It's going to be very dry this summer.

Nice photos.
May 30, 2013 03:45PM
Sounds like a great trip! Hope your son enjoyed it and wants more! Good call on not pushing it if he was a bit off.. It'll be there for another trip.
May 31, 2013 09:34AM
Thanks for the pictures and trip report. Looks like a great trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login