Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Insoles for Merrell boots

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Insoles for Merrell boots
June 01, 2013 05:41AM
Hi all,

I use Merrell Moab Ventilator boots. I need to replace the insoles. This will be the 1st time the insoles will be replaced. Wonder what you are using, what you have found work the best?

Thx much.
June 01, 2013 07:21AM
Superfeet, green ones, but everyone's feet are different.
June 01, 2013 07:56AM
Thx. Been googl'ing in general terms, the hiking blogs are in agreement. Looks like REI has them locally.
avatar Re: Insoles for Merrell boots
June 01, 2013 08:39AM
I have the same pair of shoes and was planning on trying the superfeet myself on the next trip. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
June 01, 2013 09:22AM
Yeah. Superfeet. Green.

Some replace them immediately. I have found that the insoles nowadays they put in are pretty darn good.
The Superfeet are really great if you have any arch issues.
Actually if you have high arches and hike a lot ... it is probably best just to use the green superfeet
exclusively. I am a bit biased to the Yellow Supa-Feets dough.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 01, 2013 10:43AM
Agree with the green superfeet. I have high arches and they work best for me. I have them in both Merrill and Vasque boots. Got mine at REI.
June 01, 2013 12:07PM
As KC said, everyone's feet are different. The last few years I've been hiking more and having some interesting foot problems -- like, shoes that were perfectly comfortable 2 years earlier when I bought them, feel too small after a day's hiking and the Brannock says I need a bigger size now. It looks as if my feet have been getting wider/longer and I need more arch support than I used to.

The solution I came up with last summer, that's still working well for me, is Scholl's Custom Fit arch supports (here's their ad) with Spenco Rx Comfort Insoles (what REI calls Spenco Flat Insoles) over them. I have high arches; without something under them to take part of the load, all the weight falls on the heels and balls and I get footsore in those areas. I haven't found any Superfeet or Spencos that give me much arch support. With the Scholls in place, I actually feel support under the arches.

The Scholls themselves are thick under the heels and arches but thin under the ball (and don't extend under the toes at all). After using them for a few months I added the Spencos for extra forefoot cushioning. My first pair of Moab Ventilators is running out of tread but still feels comfortable for around town, and I have my second pair ready to go with new Scholls and Spencos in place.

I'm trying Superfeet Orange in my Moab Waterproofs (which I wear much less than the Ventilators). I bought Green and Orange at the same time but took the greens back unused when I found out the orange were softer in front. Btw, all my hiking shoes are cross-trainers, not boots, but I'd think the soles would be about the same regardless of the type of uppers.

I was amused to find a group of podiatrists harshly criticizing the Scholls among themselves at this forum. One says:

These are a joke. I've already had patients in my office that have purchased these products with no benefit....

Over my many years of practice, I've learned one fact about Dr. Scholl products, particularly their insoles/inserts/"orthotics"........no one I ever met purchases them twice....

There are much better OTC alternatives for my patients, and that's based on "only" 20+ years of experience in a very busy practice.

After reading more of this guy's posts, I tend to think that he has a limited perspective because only those patients for whom Scholl's products don't work, ever come back and tell him. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2013 12:15PM by gophersnake.
June 01, 2013 04:03PM
I have nightmare feet to fit for shoes and boots - narrow heel, wide feet in front, high arches and high instep. When I found a boot or shoe that fit, then I would buy two or three pairs. Unfortunately, when I was pregnant my feet changed 2 sizes and I had boxes of unused shoes and boots that I could no longer wear. I also have found as I get older my feet get wider. I wear Merrill slide ins most of the time and also found that when I go back to regular shoes or boots, they don't feel as comfortable when I first put them on.

Interesting comment on Scholls. I have used them before without issue but never could wear the expensive orthotics that my podiatrist made me. As I said before, the green super feet have worked best for me. My husband uses them also.
June 01, 2013 05:54PM
Re: "I also have found as I get older my feet get wider"

So far, my feet have stayed the same as I age, but my stomach/middle keeps growing! eye popping smiley
June 01, 2013 07:27PM
The SOLE Ed Viesturs high volume insoles works for me (hiking and at work). I usually buy a pair when REI has their yearly 20% off sale; money well spent, as insoles can prevent the dreaded plantar fasciitis:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/09/health/la-he-feet-20130309
June 01, 2013 07:32PM
Green SuperFeet.
June 02, 2013 05:26AM
Hi all,

Scored the Superfeet, Green, yesterday @ REI. Took them for a test drive for about a mile. They feel like they are breaking in. My ball of my right foot is still a little sore from the old thin insole, but they feel good. The heel is firmer than the old insoles. More to follow.

Thx all.
June 04, 2013 06:25AM
I tried the green Superfeet and found them just a little too thick for my shoes so ended up with the salmon colored ones one step down from green. Everybody's feet and shoes/boots are different and it takes time to find just the right fit. Footwear that works right for you is probably the most important choice of all backpacking equipment.
June 04, 2013 06:45AM
No regrets so far. As a matter of fact, I don't have the knee pain. Amazing. I wonder if the old ones were knocking things off THAT much. Only doing about a mile at a time on the Pit Bull walk while the right foot gets better.

@tomdisco ... I think I saw 4 or so different colors on the rack @ REI. I didn't look them over. The packaging had text regarding different applications ... interesting. I'll have to go back & check out the others. I know I'll be getting more in the future.

In all of this uncertainty about the boots, I have these coming:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HM0QSS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ought to be a great comparison. A family member recommended them ... he served in Afghanistan. They put lots of miles on their feet, very comfortable.

More to follow.
June 21, 2013 08:27PM
W7SG
Hi all,

Scored the Superfeet, Green, yesterday @ REI. Took them for a test drive for about a mile. They feel like they are breaking in. My ball of my right foot is still a little sore from the old thin insole, but they feel good. The heel is firmer than the old insoles. More to follow.

Thx all.

How much did they cost?

http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B0033BPBD4
June 22, 2013 05:49AM
eeek
W7SG
Hi all,

Thx all.

How much did they cost?

http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B0033BPBD4

$39.95, very good product.

Good hiking!
June 24, 2013 04:39PM
I just bought the blue superfeet at REI for my upcoming Half-Dome hike this weekend - I will report back how it worked out - The green superfeet are for people with a higher arch than what I have (Funny, I always thought I had a pretty high arch)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login