Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

Re: Designing high-performance socks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Designing high-performance socks
June 01, 2013 10:26AM
May 31, 2013, 10:39 p.m. ET
It Ain't Rocket Science, but Sock-Making Comes Close

The Best of Them Cost $25, Last Forever and Don't Smell Like Feet

NORTHFIELD, Vt.—Designing the world's best sock takes more than just sweat.

Just ask Ric Cabot, a third-generation mill owner from here, who says he is out to sew "the world's most uncompromising outdoor performance sock." His Darn Tough Vermont line, a merino wool item, has 1,441 stitches per square inch, which he believes to be a record. The result, he says, is unique form-fitting softness.

"It's what I call the math of the sock," Mr. Cabot adds. "Before me, nobody was talking about stitches per inch."

Darn Tough socks can withstand 30,000 "rubs" from a machine—seven times more than the next-best brand, and will hold up for life, he says. He tests his claims by wearing Darn Toughs for three weeks at a time without a single wash, simulating the beating a pair can take from potential fungus buildup or the unrelenting sweat of a long hike.

He does have competitors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324682204578515021407071076.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks#project%3DSOCKS0531%26articleTabs%3Darticle
avatar Re: Designing high-performance socks
June 01, 2013 05:36PM
Moved this here...

These socks rock.

Do they last forever? No
Do they last a REALLY long time? Yes

These have been talked about a bunch in the past. They are guaranteed for life.
You can actually bring them back to where you bought them and get a new
pair for free. Amazing but true. (I called them)
They are just sooooo good that I just couldn't get myself to do that though
and instead just bought 2 new pairs.
I'd bet you could take 2 pairs of these and hike the entire PCT. No problem.

The original pair I have... they are nearly worn thru... on the heel and ankle...
but still usable. Just amazing socks.

Did I say I highly recommend them?

(and thanks to this forum ... this is where I learned about them)
(Thanks Frank Fuhrter... wherever u r)

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 01, 2013 05:47PM
I'd have thought that chick-on feet were tough enough not to need socks? confused smiley
Do they come in pink?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2013 05:49PM by PineCone.
September 02, 2013 09:46AM
Looking into getting these....!
September 02, 2013 10:25AM
I can vouch for Darn Toughs, they're awesome! I used the full cushion boot cut for a long time, and they're still going strong years and many hikes later.

I use Injinji's now (maybe start using Darn Toughs again if I do more winter trips), but you can't beat Darn Tough for quality, tough conventional socks.
September 02, 2013 02:26PM
I'm sold on Darn Tough. They fit well and don't move around on my foot, thus reducing blisters. And they are, well, darn tough.
September 03, 2013 07:18AM
I am a bit ashamed to admit to the number of outdoor socks I own. Having attended the outdoor retailer show for many years, they accumulate quickly since it is an easy giveaway/swag item. I've tried probably 90% of the brands out there and hands down Darn Tough wins both quality and comfort. In the time that other brands have cycled through three or four pairs in my sock drawer, my Darn Toughs are still going strong. (and I wear them more) I only recently threw away the first pair I ever got, maybe 8 years ago and with thousands of miles on them. And I only tossed them because I got a foxtail snag and tore a hole trying to remove it.
September 03, 2013 09:55PM
Looking forward to receiving my two pair in the mail on Wednesday!
September 05, 2013 01:41PM
Got my attention. Thanks guys.

Every backpacking sock I've ever used over the last 4 decades eventually has worn out. Some definitely last a lot longer. Always the big toe area ends up with a hole then on some models the heel area gets thin. Sometimes will sew up the hole but the result is often less than pleasant. Usually buy moderately high end medium to heavy wool blend socks. Currently wear a size 8 Vasque Bitterroot and carry very heavy loads of 60 to 75 pounds often oftrail. I'm 66" 138#. So will see. From socksaddict.com just ordered 3 pairs of men's quarter height Merino wool cushion hiking socks for $39 including shipping.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 01:42PM by DavidSenesac.
September 05, 2013 04:06PM
DavidSenesac

Always the big toe area ends up with a hole then on some models the heel area gets thin.

Do you keep you big toes' nails short, smooth and trimmed? Also smooth out any rough edges of hard skin around your big toes? That'll go a long way in preventing holes in one's socks around the big toe.

September 06, 2013 09:31PM
plawrence
DavidSenesac

Always the big toe area ends up with a hole then on some models the heel area gets thin.

Do you keep you big toes' nails short, smooth and trimmed? Also smooth out any rough edges of hard skin around your big toes? That'll go a long way in preventing holes in one's socks around the big toe.

Nope. But almost always trim em before backpacking just like during the winter when I'm wearing ski boots. My efforts clipping either finger or toe nails has always been a quick matter of grabbing a pair of diagonal cutters out of my tool box and crudely clip clip clip. Never file em. But what I'm hearing makes sense so I ought to change somehow.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 09:33PM by DavidSenesac.
September 05, 2013 10:03PM
Received mine! We will be testing them on Saturday: Tuolumne to May Lake.
September 05, 2013 10:30PM
Nice, enjoy! I've got 3 pairs of full length (tick season pants tucking), and 2 pair quarter length...they all look more or less like the day I bought them...
September 06, 2013 12:32PM
Are all Darn Tough socks made with the same weave, or just the Merino Wool ones?
September 07, 2013 09:08AM
They make dem wit a big hamma

http://www.darntough.com/darntough.html

So yes.

(the answer is... actually... call them... if you have a very specific question... they will answer you)
I have in the past...

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 08, 2013 05:34AM
chick-on
They make dem wit a big hamma

http://www.darntough.com/darntough.html

So yes.

(the answer is... actually... call them... if you have a very specific question... they will answer you)
I have in the past...

+1. They were very responsive when I had a few questions. They are very customer focused.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login