Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Teen swept over Nevada Falls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Teen swept over Nevada Falls
June 02, 2013 10:11AM
http://www.modbee.com/2013/06/02/2743569/sacramento-teen-swept-over-yosemite.html

Sad to hear these stories. Unfortunately, all too common.

Correction, Nevada Falls not Vernal Falls as reported in the Modesto Bee. http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/visitor-swept-over-nevada-fall-in-yosemite-national-park.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 10:26AM by DantheMan.
avatar Re: Teen swept over Vernal Falls
June 02, 2013 10:37AM
Modesto Bee

YOSEMITE -- A 19-year-old from Sacramento visiting Yosemite National park with a church group was swept over Vernal Fall Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

According to the National Park Service, Aleh Kalman, 19, was swimming above the fall at 2:45 p.m. when the current caught him as he went from a rock in the middle of the river to the bank. Witnesses saw Kalman go over the fall.

The trail from the footbridge above Emerald Pool to the top of Nevada Fall, is closed today as searchers continue looking for Kalman.

This doesn't add up. Why would they close the trail upstream from where he went over? eye popping smiley

I found a near-duplicate of the same story here. No idea which one came first: http://calfire.blogspot.com/2013/06/ynp-sar-sacramento-teen-swept-over.html
June 02, 2013 12:03PM
This is getting to almost surreal levels of stupidity.

They should change the name to "Darwin Falls".
avatar Re: Teen swept over Nevada Falls
June 02, 2013 01:19PM
tanngrisnir3
This is getting to almost surreal levels of stupidity.

They should change the name to "Darwin Falls".

Please remember that the loved ones who have lost their child (we are all 'children' to our elders) almost always make their way to the forums during their worst moments of grief. I implore everyone to try to extend kindness by refraining from the usual Darwin statements, as it only makes the pain worse.

Trust me, having dealt with grieving families, I assure you that they are well aware of the profoundly bad choice their kid made.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
June 02, 2013 01:33PM
Bee

Please remember that the loved ones who have lost their child (we are all 'children' to our elders) almost always make their way to the forums during their worst moments of grief. I implore everyone to try to extend kindness by refraining from the usual Darwin statements, as it only makes the pain worse.

Trust me, having dealt with grieving families, I assure you that they are well aware of the profoundly bad choice their kid made.

An excellent point everyone should keep in mind when discussing any fatal tragedy in today's connected age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2013 01:39PM by plawrence.
June 02, 2013 12:24PM
DantheMan

Correction, Nevada Falls not Vernal Falls as reported in the Modesto Bee. http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/visitor-swept-over-nevada-fall-in-yosemite-national-park.htm

Thanks. That's more like it.
June 02, 2013 04:05PM
So sad. I really feel for the family, what a horrible thing for them to go through.
June 02, 2013 07:54PM
Aside from condolences for the family I'd say it's usually best to say nothing.

Assume that family members and those close to the family are reading. Say nothing you wouldn't say to them in person.

A moment of silence for those affected.

(including SAR)

sad smiley
avatar Visitor Swept Over Nevada Fall in Yosemite National Park
June 02, 2013 09:11PM
Date: June 2, 2013

Individual Last Seen on the Afternoon of June 1

At approximately 2:45 p.m. on Saturday, June 1, a visitor was witnessed being swept over the precipice of Nevada Fall in Yosemite National Park. Aleh Kalman, 19 year old male, from Sacramento, CA, came to the park with a church group and was hiking the Mist Trail when the accident occurred.

Kalman was witnessed swimming above Nevada Fall, approximately 150 feet from the precipice, when he was swept away by the current. Witnesses reported to park officials that he was swimming back from a rock in the middle of the river when the current swept him downstream to the edge of the waterfall.

Ground teams, along with a California Highway Patrol (CHP) helicopter, were immediately dispatched to the location of the waterfall to begin searching for Kalman. Search efforts continued throughout the evening until fading light prevented further efforts.

Yesterday afternoon, the Merced River which feeds the 594 foot waterfall, was flowing at approximately 500 cubic feet per second (CFS), which represents a very swift and powerful spring flow of water. Currently, the river is flowing at approximately 650 CFS with water temperature in the low 50's. Water levels and temperatures are expected to remain relatively the same throughout the week.

The Mist Trail, from the footbridge above Emerald Pool to the top of Nevada Fall, is temporarily closed at this time in order for ground teams to continue searching the area below the waterfall. Yosemite National Park Rangers will continue search efforts throughout the day. These efforts consist primarily of combing each side of the Merced River looking for the victim. Three dog teams and approximately 20 ground Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel are searching the area for any signs of Kalman.

Visitors are urged to exercise extreme caution around all water in Yosemite National Park. Although the park received only 50 percent of normal snow pack, rivers within the park continue to run at high levels this time of the year. Additionally, the water remains extremely cold and will be throughout the year.

No further information is available at this time. The park will issue a news release when new information becomes available.
June 03, 2013 02:27AM
Oh no! Please stay out of the water, particularly above a waterfall. Stay safe, don't take chances. Not worth it, ever.
June 04, 2013 12:34PM
From the NPS morning report:

A 19-year-old visitor from Sacramento was swept over the edge of Nevada Fall on Saturday afternoon. Aleh Kalman, who came to the park with a church group, was seen swimming about 150 feet above the fall when he was swept away by the current. Ground searchers and a California Highway Patrol helicopter were immediately dispatched to the area and began searching for him, but have so far been unsuccessful. The Merced River, which feeds the 594-foot-high waterfall, was flowing at approximately 500 cubic feet per second this past weekend – a very swift and powerful spring flow of water. The water temperature was in the low 50’s. Water levels and temperatures are expected to remain relatively the same throughout the week. The Mist Trail, from the footbridge above Emerald Pool to the top of Nevada Fall, is temporarily closed so that ground teams can continue searching the area below the waterfall. Three dog teams and approximately 20 personnel are searching the area for any signs of Kalman.
June 08, 2013 11:41PM
I was just up there yesterday and saw many people still wading in the waters above Nevada falls. People will never learn!!
June 09, 2013 05:41PM
clewin20
I was just up there yesterday and saw many people still wading in the waters above Nevada falls. People will never learn!!

Lots of people hang out in those side pools up there. Maybe it's safe to stay in there, but I wouldn't even think of it. Those who go over the Fall swim away from those pools, perhaps. The typical rock destinations for swimmers are in the middle of the actual river.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login