Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Unknown Day Hikes from Tuolumne Meadows Area?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Unknown Day Hikes from Tuolumne Meadows Area?
June 03, 2013 08:03PM
Looking for unusual, unknown, interesting type, day hikes from TM area, or along the east half of Tioga Road. Have done most of the popular and obvious hikes from that area. Looking for something a little different for this weekend. Or, what is your favorite hike up there?
avatar Re: Unknown Day Hikes from Tuolumne Meadows Area?
June 03, 2013 09:02PM
Paris92

Looking for unusual, unknown, interesting type, day hikes from TM area, or along the east half of Tioga Road.

Unknown and unusual to whom?

Paris92

Have done most of the popular and obvious hikes from that area.

Like?

Name names.

Paris92

Looking for something a little different for this weekend. Or, what is your favorite hike up there?

Climbing Pothole Dome, then heading north, northwest. (I like hikes with a view.)

June 03, 2013 11:12PM
Well, you could try the abandoned old trail up Tuolumne Peak. I can't find my notes at the moment, but as I recall, it goes something like this:

Hike north past May Lake, to the trail junction just north of the country line. Take the left fork, towards the trail that passes by the north flank of Tuolumne Peak. But very soon after that junction you come to one of the old iron trail mileage signs where there is no junction. This is while you are still in the meadow. The old trail went up from there, switchbacking to the summit. Once you get above the meadow, the old trail is easy to see, but it you lose it, just keep going on up. No problems that I can remember, so long as you have some route finding sense. Lots of flowers and such. We descended via the new use trail that goes straight north from the summit to the modern trail that passes by the north side of the mountain.

This was a few years ago, so someone may have removed that old sign, but why would they? It wasn't explicitly marking the trail to the mountain, but merely gave mileage along the current trail. There was presumably a similar sign giving mileage to the peak on the now missing branch of the trail, but it is gone.

Of course, I have no idea what the snow situation is up there right now. But the guys around May Lake would know the situation at Mt Hoffman, which would be similar...
June 04, 2013 06:32AM
The "May Lake Mystery" Trail doesn't go all the way up to Tuolumne Peak.
It goes thru the saddle east of the crest south of it... and then drops back down to
the trail below. Much was said about this trail... along with a map of the trail...

here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39570,39570#msg-39570

and here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,47029,47029#msg-47029

and here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,42824,42824#msg-42824

and a set of photos of the trail when went on it:
Here

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 04, 2013 12:21AM
  • Gaylor Peak
  • down to Airplane Gully from Olmstead Point
  • Mt Dana
  • Lower Cathedral Lake from the east end of Tenaya Lake
  • Glen Aulin from Pothole Dome
June 04, 2013 08:43AM
Cool stuff. Thanks everyone!
June 04, 2013 10:28AM
Go to upper Granite Lake just past lower Gaylor Lake and then keep on going up off-trail as high as you feel like. You will cross one or two sun cupped snow fields to get to a beautiful overlook above upper Granite Lake. You will see Saddlebag Lake from the back side.
June 04, 2013 07:15PM
Great hike with medium effort.

Old Dude
June 04, 2013 10:36PM
This one is a little more rugged, but try hiking up the gully on the north end of Medlicott Dome, then along the top past Lake of the Domes. Follow the dome top all the way south over the top of Dozier Dome and then take the climbers trail back to highway 120. Detour to Cathedral Lakes is optional. The top of Medlicott is a uniquely beautiful place.
June 04, 2013 11:07PM
Hike down into Tenaya Canyon---Perfectly "safe" until Lone Boulder but you don't have to go nearly that far to have an amazing experience. I guess make sure no chance of rain. Search for the "Danger Past this Sign" Sign
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login