Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: place to tent overnight on 120 just shy of the entrance?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

place to tent overnight on 120 just shy of the entrance?
June 04, 2013 09:10AM
Two of my friends are leaving tonight for Yosemite. They're going after work and want to just pull over and camp, probably put up a tent, near Big Oak flat entrance. I was thinking that maybe they could do this around Buck Meadows. Anyone have a suggestion?

They don't want to pay anything.
avatar Re: place to tent overnight on 120 just shy of the entrance?
June 04, 2013 09:42AM
If they're planning to do any form of cooking (not just campfires), they need to obtain first a FREE California Campfire permit (available at any Forest Service district office).

Not exactly sure where (or if) dispersed camping is permitted along the immediate Hwy 120 corridor. I would recommend that they call the Stanislaus Forest Groveland Ranger District office (at 209-962-7825) for up-to-date information.

Myself, I've just avail myself to one of the handful Forest Service campgrounds off of Hwy 120. I find the fees (now between $16-21/night per campsite) to be quite reasonable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 09:54AM by plawrence.
June 04, 2013 10:08AM
plawrence: they don't want to cook, just go to sleep. I'll google the Forest Service campgrounds, or if you know of one near the park entrance, that would help. I'm with you, I like something a bit more 'official' but my friends are, um, cheap. (Also they're from Washington State/Alaska where pulling off on a side road and sleeping are maybe more common.)

Groveland has a motel with inexpensive tents/tipis, but they weren't interested....

Thanks for the info; I'll pass it along.
June 04, 2013 10:52AM
There are four Forest Service campgrounds off (or close by) to Hwy 120. They are The Pines, Lost Claim, Sweetwater, and off of Evergreen Road, Dimond O.

Dimond O is the closest to Yosemite, and hence the most expensive (at $21/night). The Pines and Lost Claim are the furthest away from Yosemite (though they're still relatively close-by) and cost only $16/night.

There's probably legal dispersed camping available along the Hwy 120 corridor, but I don't know the exact locations where it might be permitted. Hence, my recommendation to call the Groveland Ranger District office for more up-to-date information. My guess would be if dispersed camping was permitted, it would be along Old Hwy 120, Hardin Flat Road, and on Forest Service Roads 1S69 and 2S30 (and possibly Evergreen Road).

June 04, 2013 10:11AM
Sent you a PM, Hegel. You can get a campfire permit online here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5395989
June 04, 2013 10:43AM
You should prob. just follow Joe's instructions.

But, for the record... here's some more info:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,26526,26526#msg-26526

Strawberry Festival is over... so it should be fairly quiet.

I wouldn't think of going there when the fest is running.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 04, 2013 11:05AM
Thanks everybody for your great responses!
June 06, 2013 05:47PM
There goes the neighborhood....

I appreciate you folks are trying to be helpful, but Harden Flat Road is already getting pretty crowded. Somewhat trashed, even. Last year there were some huge RV's that seemed to be parked there for weeks at a time. That's why I sent hegel a map and similar info via email. If the joint gets blown out because any chucklehead can google it, don't blame me.

No offense intended, but sometimes it pays to keep things a little quiet. Thanks - Joe
June 06, 2013 06:01PM
Happy Now?

June 06, 2013 06:19PM
Oh gosh, I'm not trying to be a grouch, but you know what I'm talking about, right? Maybe I should take a vacation.
June 07, 2013 08:04PM
Nah. Don't let it bother you. I agree with you more than what you probably think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login