Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ranger Medics Deliver Baby

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ranger Medics Deliver Baby
June 10, 2013 11:28AM
Dispatch received a call at 2 a.m. on June 5th reporting that a woman was experiencing abdominal pains at a park residence in Wawona in the southern portion of Yosemite. Rangers Heidi Schlichting, Chad Andrews, and Anna Mezera responded to the call. The rangers quickly discovered that the woman had begun to give birth and that a foot was presenting (the baby was in a breech position). Schlichting and Mezera, both paramedics, and Andrews, a park medic, immediately began attending to the woman. The baby was born within 20 minutes, but was having trouble breathing. Schlichting used a bag valve mask to resuscitate the baby; within minutes, the baby's breathing was stronger and core functions were good. Meanwhile, an ambulance from Oakhurst, about 20 minutes south of the park, was dispatched to the scene. Once the ambulance arrived, the mother and the baby were taken to a hospital in Fresno. Schlichting, a ranger for 6 years and a paramedic for 13 years, had delivered one baby previously in her career. "It all went so fast," Schlichting she said. “This is not something that happens very often and it was a great opportunity. I am glad I was able to help.”
avatar Re: Ranger Medics Deliver Baby
June 10, 2013 01:17PM
I love a happy ending!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login