Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mosquitoes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mosquitoes
June 10, 2013 04:05PM
Bee CowboyMosquito biting

Living in the land where the mosquito is often called the state bird, and mosquitoes come out even before the snow is gone: my question is not how to prevent bites--we've got good spray and cream and so forth. But bites are simply unavoidable. I literally think the mosquitoes are camped out on my porch. I'll try and get a picture if I am brave enough. But I open the front door and the mosquitoes are hanging out on the porch walls waiting.

The question is how to relieve the itch after a bite. Home remedies? Creams? Biting the bite? Etc. Looking for everyone's best ideas.
June 10, 2013 04:58PM
Back in the days as a summer camp counselor I learned that a dab of toothpaste stopped the itching of a mosquito bite. However, I just learned this week that a small dab of Prep H ASAP after the bite (and don't scratch it) and you won't feel a thing. I know what is going in my summer kit...
June 10, 2013 06:31PM
Try wearing pants.smiling smiley

Old Dude
June 10, 2013 08:14PM
calipidder
Back in the days as a summer camp counselor I learned that a dab of toothpaste stopped the itching of a mosquito bite. However, I just learned this week that a small dab of Prep H ASAP after the bite (and don't scratch it) and you won't feel a thing. I know what is going in my summer kit...

Interesting tip. Thx, I'll give it a shot. Got two bites two days ago: on pinky knuckle, and on the back of the neck. 20% Deet + Picardin 5% combo is effective in terms of minimizing the swarms. Max strength hydrocort with 1% aloe is my choice of relief post-bite. Is the Prep H most effective immediately after getting bit?
June 10, 2013 10:23PM
Ohnivy-Drak
calipidder

Interesting tip. Thx, I'll give it a shot. Got two bites two days ago: on pinky knuckle, and on the back of the neck. 20% Deet + Picardin 5% combo is effective in terms of minimizing the swarms. Max strength hydrocort with 1% aloe is my choice of relief post-bite. Is the Prep H most effective immediately after getting bit?

I use something called After Bite which comes in a tube and is 3.5% ammonia. The tube has a clip on it so you can clip it to a pocket. I got it at REI. I carry one so I can use it right after I get bite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 10:24PM by parklover.
June 10, 2013 11:30PM
Keep in mind that I'm not talking about being out backpacking or camping. I'm talking about everyday life where wearing deet ALL the is not practical.
June 25, 2013 11:24AM
ExOfficio makes a line of clothing, that include nice looking collared shirts (suitable for work) and slacks (besides their convertible pants) that are treated with insect repellant and are theoretically good up to 70 washings.

June 22, 2013 02:06PM
Never been bitten there! Every where else though.

(deleted extra post for you)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2013 02:59PM by mrcondron.
June 22, 2013 03:01PM
When they are really thick during deuce droppage it can get iffy.

Old Dude
June 10, 2013 06:40PM
I've been to Alaska 3 times, Glacier Bay/Juneau, Prince William Sound/Homer/Los Anchorage, and Katmai/King Salmon (in order of visitation). Really didn't see the mosquitoes as being too bad in the first two visits (relative to the Sierra). The third visit...I arrived at the King Salmon airport, noticed people standing outside the terminal were wearing head nets, and bought one in the airport. It was the best $5 I've ever spent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 06:41PM by ttilley.
June 10, 2013 07:38PM
chicagocwright
Bee CowboyMosquito biting... But bites are simply unavoidable....The question is how to relieve the itch after a bite. Home remedies? Creams? Biting the bite? Etc. Looking for everyone's best ideas.

Every summer some people claim they always get bitten regardless of what they do or apply. And then there are responders like this person that don't get bitten. Full battle gear covering up one's body with clothing mosquitoes cannot poke through leaving face, wrists, hands for 100% DEET and a mosquito head net for when one just needs to get outside the tent door briefly.

If of one is bitten, running the hottest water over the bite will cause all the histamines to waste themselves at once causing max itchiness. After that one has a period of an hour or three before histamines build back up wence itchiness will wane though never disappear.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
June 11, 2013 12:09AM
DavidSenesac
Every summer some people claim they always get bitten regardless of what they do or apply.

Yes, and they are good to keep near one as bait.
June 11, 2013 09:02AM
I still can't understand why anyone would want to harm one of these wonderful creatures

June 11, 2013 11:10AM
I have many environmental allergies and take Allegra every day. When seasonal allergies are bad, I take Nasonex.

With mosquito bites, I take Benadryl at night to try to knock down my reactions.

I use StingEze Max 2 on bites as temporary topical relief to try to prevent the scratching. 10% Benzocaine. If anyone knows of a stronger product, please let me know! I guess I could ask my doc for a scrip for something. Hm....

I have tried ammonia-based products, topical Benadryl, calamine lotion...the 10% Benzocaine works best for me. I still feel the itch, just less intensely.

I use 3M Ultrathon DEET (34%) 12-Hour lotion on my exposed skin, I carry a mosquito headnet at all times. I have tried Permethrin on my clothes, seemed to work for a few years, but the last few years, I was getting eaten like mad through my clothes (we always treated with the Sawyer spray, no change in clothes/application treatment, not sure why such a difference.) A couple of years ago, I tried Picaridin 20% and it was near useless for me, and I couldn't stop tasting it. I use very little DEET on my skin, but it's so effective, if I taste DEET, I know I over-did it. I have a full bug suit, but rarely carry it. I now spray my clothes with DEET. The past week in Yosemite, we were fine using 15% spray from the Valley to above Evelyn Lake near Vogelsang. I had a 40% spray handy, just in case, never used it all week.

Worst mosquito reactions were from many bites encountered during a the first of two days of hitting all the High Sierra Camps (not including WW) in two days, backpacking overnight at Merced Lake. What stopped me was a golf-ball sized lump on my ankle from a bite which was being rubbed all the first day by my shoe. We bailed at Tuolumne Meadows. Glen Aulin and out to Murphy Creek and we would have been done. So close. I had to take Benadryl during the second day because I was starting to get a general reaction (all over itchy/wheezy) - made me too sleepy/slow to hike safely the remaining distance. Basilbop barely gets a bump when he gets bit.
June 11, 2013 12:13PM
JustKeepWalking

I use 3M Ultrathon DEET (34%) 12-Hour lotion on my exposed skin, I carry a mosquito headnet at all times. I have tried Permethrin on my clothes, seemed to work for a few years, but the last few years, I was getting eaten like mad through my clothes (we always treated with the Sawyer spray, no change in clothes/application treatment, not sure why such a difference.) A couple of years ago, I tried Picaridin 20% and it was near useless for me, and I couldn't stop tasting it. I use very little DEET on my skin, but it's so effective, if I taste DEET, I know I over-did it. I have a full bug suit, but rarely carry it. I now spray my clothes with DEET. The past week in Yosemite, we were fine using 15% spray from the Valley to above Evelyn Lake near Vogelsang. I had a 40% spray handy, just in case, never used it all week.

3M Ultrathon has been my go to mosquito repellant of choice for many years now. But the last couple of years I've been testing out Picaridin 20%. For me, Picaridin 20% works just fine up to 6-7 hours or so. It worked great last Sunday when I was taking some photos of Tenaya Lake that was just mobbed by mosquitos.

But if I'm going to be dealing with mosquitos for longer than 6 hours then I fall back to the Ultrathon. What I like about Picaridin over the DEET-based products is that it won't damage my cameras, GPS and other things made with certain plastics. It also supposedly works better against biting flies, though I usually don't have a major problem with biting flies to begin with so I can't verify that claim, firsthand.

I've used Permethrin on my jeans and it does help a lot (though not 100% effective at times) but when I'm hiking in mosquito infested areas, I've found that clothing that has been commercially treated at the factory with insect repellant works best. I would buy more of the insect repellant apparel if it wasn't so pricey. Right now I have four insect-repellent long sleeve shirts, and two pair of lightweight convertible insect-repellant pants. And they perform just fine even after 20+ washings. (They're rated for 70 washing. I'll eventually see if that claim holds up.)

June 11, 2013 01:45PM
plawrence
3M Ultrathon has been my go to mosquito repellant of choice for many years now

I learned on my last trip to Bear Paw it does nothing for biting flies. Sigh.
June 11, 2013 02:01PM
eeek
plawrence

3M Ultrathon has been my go to mosquito repellant of choice for many years now

I learned on my last trip to Bear Paw it does nothing for biting flies. Sigh.

Have you tried a 20% Picaridin insect repellant? If so, has it been effective in repelling biting flies?

June 15, 2013 03:25PM
plawrence
Have you tried a 20% Picaridin insect repellant? If so, has it been effective in repelling biting flies?

Not yet.
June 11, 2013 02:28PM
pwlawrence
What I like about Picaridin over the DEET-based products is that it won't damage my cameras, GPS and other things made with certain plastics.

During the camping trip last week we found out quickly that the kids with the spray DEET on their arms ended up stained red from the plastic tablecloth when they rested their arms on it! Didn't see that coming! A couple of times either the parents or one of us would forget that happened and startle thinking we saw blood on the child!

I've been using the 3M Ultrathon sparingly for years now, and so far, knock on wood, my Garmin wrist GPS and my other plastic goodies are still ok. I have a LifeProof case on my iPhone and so far, so good. But I usually try to get it off my fingertips anyway, so i don't eat it.

And I've heard about the fly thing, but have not yet had a chance to try it out. Probably won't bother and will just wear my headnet. I had a miserable experience in Kings Canyon hiking out after almost 90 miles and being pestered by what one ranger called "face flies" flying into every exposed orifice. They didn't bite, but they'd crawl around my glacier glasses' side pouches and get into my eyes! Into my nose, mouth, ears. Ugh. Torture for miles. I've never forgotten my headnet since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 02:29PM by JustKeepWalking.
June 11, 2013 04:58PM
The Little Black Flies are the worst. I'll take mosquitos over those annoying buggers!
Only thing that works on them is ye old head net... well.. Schemagh works well too...
especially after wetting it.

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 11, 2013 05:38PM
Thankfully we don't seem to have the black flies here. Agreed, those I have ran into in New Hampshire are MUCH worse than mosquito bites. They almost feel like bee stings.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I knew folks here would throw out remedies I hadn't thought of. But I don't think there is any good answer for preventing the bites in the first place. When you LIVE right in the middle of it, its different than hiking and camping through it. I just don't think I could bring myself to spray my nice business suits with DEET...
June 11, 2013 07:12PM
chicagocwright

Thanks all for your suggestions. I knew folks here would throw out remedies I hadn't thought of. But I don't think there is any good answer for preventing the bites in the first place. When you LIVE right in the middle of it, its different than hiking and camping through it. I just don't think I could bring myself to spray my nice business suits with DEET...

You know, Anchorage isn't the only city where mosquitos are numerous if left to their own devices. Cities like Minneapolis and Atlanta have to deal with a great deal of mosquitos too. That's why in those cities, and even where I live in Bay Area, there are Vector Control departments that one of their main functions and duties is mosquito abatement. In many areas around Minneapolis they have trucks driving around neighborhoods to spray assorted insecticide to keep the mosquito population down to a manageable level. In the Bay Area it isn't that drastic, but my local vector control department does spay a special oil into the local creeks to kill the mosquito larve.

Doesn't Anchorage (and its suburbs) have an agressive mosquito abatement program? Or do you live away from the city in a more rural area where there's a lot of untreated stagnant water standing about?

June 11, 2013 07:15PM
You meant "Los Anchorage", right? grinning smiley

Yeah, there's a $5 or so assessment on my property tax for mosquito abatement.
June 11, 2013 09:39PM
Well I live on the South Side of Anchorage. Chicago used to have an aggressive mosquito abatement program that would drive through neighborhoods at night--especially during West Nile scare. But Anchorage is far worse. I have heard of no program here. We live near a "brown belt" and frequently have moose in our yard but the brown belt is effectively a swamp. Directly around our house there is no standing water.

Ttilley: You might know more about "Los Anchorage" than I do. I heard it referred to that once and also hear, "When you live in Anchorage you are only 30 minutes away from Alaska". I've described living here as similar to living in Yosemite Valley. You are minutes away from awesome trailheads, have moose and bear wandering through frequently, and bald eagles. Not to mention great salmon fishing at times.
June 13, 2013 08:58PM
JustKeepWalking
.... I have tried Permethrin on my clothes, seemed to work for a few years, but the last few years, I was getting eaten like mad through my clothes (we always treated with the Sawyer spray, no change in clothes/application treatment, not sure why such a difference...

The prime mistake significant numbers of mountain visitors in mosquito season make is wearing the wrong clothes. And most of the time those clothes are predictably hiking shorts, cotton t-shirt, and baseball cap. IF one wears the right clothes you will not have to put any chemicals on your clothing because the little flying draculas won't be able to stick their probosci through the weave. And NO that does not mean wearing heavy hot thick clothing. The best clothing is made of non-coated ripstop nylon which is light, or other synthetics with a tight weave. Hundreds can be on your sleeve and they are only going to be bending their pokers frustratingly. DO NOT wear shorts thinking you will simply apply DEET to your legs. Leave your shorts to non-squeeter season. Sure you can wear shorts and cope but why waste lots of pricy DEET on a large surface area allowing much more to absorb through skin into blood stream, when much more logical is to simply wear long pants, and again, lightweight tight weave synthetics. Join the rest of us that give frustraing pain to squeeters. The most important component is a hat with a long neck drape that goes all away around to the ears because by instinct they go for ears and move to the rear of where they see eyes. Google web "sun cap neck drape"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 09:09PM by DavidSenesac.
June 14, 2013 10:15AM
DavidSenesac
The best clothing is made of non-coated ripstop nylon which is light, or other synthetics with a tight weave.

David, can you provide links to some examples of clothing you have found works really well. I have been bitten a fair bit through typical hiking shirts and pants; generally where those are pulled tight over skin (shoulders, hips).
June 11, 2013 04:12PM
Remember it is against park rules to disturb or feed the wild life. You must refrain from feeding the mosquitos.
June 15, 2013 03:24PM
Dave
Remember it is against park rules to disturb or feed the wild life. You must refrain from feeding the mosquitos.

No using a shotgun on them either.
June 11, 2013 05:36PM
Be happy you can use DEET. It makes me very ill for >24 hours (combo of very loose gut, joint aches, and lassitude). Ruined many expensive vacations before I figured out what the problem was.
June 11, 2013 06:37PM
I can't use Deet because it blisters my skin and it peels off in sheets. I am always looking for something natural to use. I got a spray called Bug Away in Arches several years ago which worked well but the label is now unreadable and I don't know who makes it so I can't buy more.
June 15, 2013 03:57PM
parklover
I can't use Deet because it blisters my skin and it peels off in sheets.

Wow, and I thought the taste was the bad part of DEET.

I am always looking for something natural to use. I got a spray called Bug Away in Arches several years ago which worked well but the label is now unreadable and I don't know who makes it so I can't buy more.

Was it this? http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B007H4NSQU
June 15, 2013 05:28PM
Sun Precautions make an excellent neck drape hat. It's designed for sun but works great for mosquitos and flies. They make a large neck drape that can be "zipped up" to cover all the way up to your nose with velcro attachments; or you can let it hang loose but still cover your ears and neck.

I just modified a Sunday Afternoon hat to allow me attach this neck drape to their wide brim hat using velcro. I did it for mosquito season.

Oh yeah and mosquitos can't seem to bite through sun grubbies either--although I'm not 100% certain on this. I use hiking poles and find that the backs of my hands are just destroyed by mosquitos unless I wear these. I'm one of those people who get headaches when I use deet on my face or neck. But I will spritz the sun grubbies if needed, then take them off when eating.

Otherwise, I wear a nylon weave sun shirt and light nylon pants. And a headnet in camp. Skeeters can't get me!
June 15, 2013 05:43PM
Or this? http://www.mambinoorganics.com/Bug_Away_Repellent_Spray_p/br1269-47w.htm

I found this at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/833278/bugband-insect-repellent-spray-3-fl-oz
I like the smell of it (the geraniol, I guess) but I haven't had a chance to try it against serious mosquitoes yet. Almost anything seems to repel those Yosemite Valley dilettantes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2013 05:53PM by gophersnake.
June 18, 2013 06:27PM
No it is not that one or the one that gophersnake posted.
June 14, 2013 08:25AM
So what you are all saying is the noob family that thinks they are going to sit around the campfire after dindin at Rancheria
Falls Campground in two weeks is out of their minds...we will be hiding in our tent eating our deet flavored lozenges??
June 14, 2013 08:59AM
It really depends on the weather. But with the proper clothing including a head net, you could still enjoy a campfire even if those little pests are around.

June 14, 2013 11:02AM
Here are two nylon shells I actually bought online:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037KPY38/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Kariban-Unlined-Windbreaker-Navy-XL/dp/B003H8NIV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1371231470&sr=1-1&keywords=Kariban+Unlined+Windbreaker

While carrying a backpack, I often wear them without anything underneath and the front mostly unzipped. Though I prefer uncoated nylon shells, no one seems to make shells uncoated anymore unless one bothers with a custom order because coated fabrics manufacturers use are cheaper due to volume pricing. In any case they do not absorb sweat and dry out quickly though admittedly don't feel as nice as cotton but while carrying a heavy pack up a mountain, I doubt any of us are thinking about that.

For pants Google for similar materials. Note many of those pricy lightweight synthetic pants designed for hikers ( the ones with all those cargo pockets) rarely were designed with mosquitoes in mind and are never nylon but rather various softer materials like polyester that supposedly feel better. I have doubts on their ability to keep out probosci. One is more likely to find nylon used in running and warmup suits. Nylon is also more durable than polyester.

The well designed sun hat I've been wearing now almost two decades is the Dorfman Pacific model at center in this current ad on Big 5 Sporting Goods:

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=2044101&listingid=-2054336225&pretailerid=-98565

Has a large bill and a cordlock neck strap. The neck drape is velcro attached to the cap which is a rare but important feature allowing detachment if desired. I've never seen that model available from online vendors so best to phone up your local Big 5 stores for availability.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 11:07AM by DavidSenesac.
June 16, 2013 02:05PM
June 18, 2013 08:15PM
Yury
David,

How breathable are these jackets?

Not breathable at all, made from water resistant coated nylon fabric though holy about all seam areas as they are not intended as rain wear. So they breathe better than waterproof rain jackets but do so through seam areas. Almost all nylon shells in this era are made with water resistant coated nylons.because that is what fabric manufacturings think their client manufacturers all want so stock and market those. Oh they do have uncoated nylon also as that is what all ripstop nylon down sleeping bag shells are made from but only market those to bag manufacturers. This all happened since about two decades ago as before that coated fabrics had short lifetimes before flaking and peeling. Nylon shells have always been a market targeted at sports teams and urban informal light activity users like persons going to evening football and baseball games.

However I would prefer uncoated because if worn while carrying a pack without an under garment as I do, it is cooler, breathes, and feels nicer. Although coated can help keep one dryer during rain, on backpacking trips I usually also have a real rain shell like my Marmot Precip so don't need the nylon shell I'm using carrying a pack to be water resistant or waterproof. On the other hand versus uncoated, coated is more robust to wear and more mosquito proof without adding any weight. To get uncoated one would have to make a pricy custom order while these off the shelf coated models all mail order for less than $30.

Ironically almost all outdoor clothing makers use expensive hi tech breathable fabrics that are much more expensive, heavier, slower to dry when wet, less compressible for packing, and intended to be worn as outerwear with some inner layer underneath. Great function in cooler wetter conditions. But not at all conducive to warmer, more humid, sweaty conditions. The only use outdoor clothing manufacturers have for such nylons is for waterproof jackets and they make those really waterproof so they don't breath at all. And usually use a waterproof coating instead of water resistant that also tends to be less durable and heavier such that one would not want to wear rain wear while lugging a heavy pack else it would quickly loose its waterproofness and likely start wicking through stiching pin holes.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 08:44PM by DavidSenesac.
June 19, 2013 12:53AM
June 15, 2013 09:49PM
Regarding Permethrin:

I work for several months each summer as a volunteer ranger and trail crew leader. We have to be out in bad conditions. I have found permethrin to be a wonderful option. I don't know why some people have found the product to work less well in the last few years.

HOWEVER, it has to be used correctly. A light spray DOES NOT WORK. You have to SATURATE the material for it to work. The clothing manufacturers create their products this way....saturation.

combined with DEET, I find this to be highly effective for my crews.
June 16, 2013 09:00AM
Ken M
Regarding Permethrin:

I work for several months each summer as a volunteer ranger and trail crew leader. We have to be out in bad conditions. I have found permethrin to be a wonderful option. I don't know why some people have found the product to work less well in the last few years.

HOWEVER, it has to be used correctly. A light spray DOES NOT WORK. You have to SATURATE the material for it to work. The clothing manufacturers create their products this way....saturation.

I second that. Saturation is the key. Spray the clothes outdoors and then let them dry in the sun. This stuff is expensive but one can not be stingy with it if you want the full benefit.
June 25, 2013 03:39AM
tomdisco
Ken M
Regarding Permethrin:

I second that. Saturation is the key. Spray the clothes outdoors and then let them dry in the sun. This stuff is expensive but one can not be stingy with it if you want the full benefit.

I bought the Permethrin and plan to saturate. A few questions though
1. How long does it last? until it gets washed again?
2. Flying in from the East coast Friday should i apply it before I pack or after I arrive. I was thinking before for a little less to lug.
3. The directions say to apply to certain areas of each garment, is this where the saturation should happen? should the whole shirt/pants/socks get sprayed as well?
4 Can Friday come any faster?

Thanks to all who have gladly and freely given their thoughts, ideas and concerns to all us noobs. I will be wondering if I "know" you when I see you on the trail so I can thank you in person. I will be the sweaty guy in the rear with the gear and great big smile on my face! thanks again
June 25, 2013 06:14AM
I saturate every portion of all outer clothing (not my rain jacket) about 1 week prior to flying and let it dry outdoors. They claim it lasts quite a while, even through a couple washings, but I take that with a grain of salt. Perhaps others who use Permethrin and hike frequently can address how long they think it lasts. Don't forget to do your hat if your wear one.
June 25, 2013 08:55AM
I was just up in Tuolumne Meadows over the weekend and the weather was beautiful. This latest storm should pass through and next week should be nice. The mosquitos are out and active, but not as bad as I've seen in years past. Nothing to get too worked up about.

I saturated my clothing with Permethrin about 4 days prior and hung them out to dry. I was not bothered and have only one obvious bite to speak of. Not bad at all. Bring some spray on DEET to cover the exposed areas and you are good to go!

Have a blast!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
June 25, 2013 09:28AM
Thank you, i will begin the dousing when i get home from work today.
ticktockticktock....
June 25, 2013 11:34AM
Through June 30th, REI is having a sale in which much of ExOfficio Bugsaway and Columbia's Insect Blocker apparel (including shirts and pants) are between 20% to 35% off their normal retail price. Plus, REI members who spend over $100 between now and June 30 will receive a $20 REI gift card (that would need to be used between July 3-15).

I've found this insect-repellent clothing (from Columbia and ExOfficio) to be very effective in repelling mosquitoes.

June 26, 2013 03:23AM
plawrence
Through June 30th, REI is having a sale in which much of ExOfficio Bugsaway and Columbia's Insect Blocker apparel (including shirts and pants) are between 20% to 35% off their normal retail price. Plus, REI members who spend over $100 between now and June 30 will receive a $20 REI gift card (that would need to be used between July 3-15).

I've found this insect-repellent clothing (from Columbia and ExOfficio) to be very effective in repelling mosquitoes.

I have one ExOfficio shirt that i could barely muster the strength to spend the money on from REI. Even with the sale prices and being members i have a hard time convincing the boss that it is money well spent. Does the ExOfficio shirt need the same dousing that our other clothes recieved?
June 26, 2013 09:34AM
The bug repellant on the Exofficio bug away shirts are supposed to last 70 washings so you would not have to dose those shirts with any extra bug spray unless you have a shirt that has been washed that many times. While expensive, we have found that the cost for Exofficio shirts to be worth it in the long run. Our bug away shirts are within the limits of washings so they still work. My husband has many non bug away Exofficio shirts that he has had for at least a decade and wears them to work so they have held up to hundreds of washings without falling apart.
June 26, 2013 09:58AM
Patsfans

Does the ExOfficio shirt need the same dousing that our other clothes recieved?

No, they don't require any additional dousing with permethrin. They're rated to work through 70 washings.

I haven't washed my ExOfficio Bugsaway shirts and pants that often yet, but after 20 washings (for some of my shirts), they still work as advertise. So you could maybe justify their cost to your "boss" on the money you'll save by not having to purchase permethrin to apply to them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 10:11AM by plawrence.
June 26, 2013 05:32PM
plawrence
Patsfans
Does the ExOfficio shirt need the same dousing that our other clothes recieved?
No, they don't require any additional dousing with permethrin. They're rated to work through 70 washings.
I haven't washed my ExOfficio Bugsaway shirts and pants that often yet, but after 20 washings (for some of my shirts), they still work as advertise. So you could maybe justify their cost to your "boss" on the money you'll save by not having to purchase permethrin to apply to them.

Ok, I spend a lot of time thrashing about in the bush, so let me make a few comments about this subject. I do apply permithrin to a couple of long-sleeved shirts and long pants every season, and it does work very well. But I run into people who have no idea why and how it works, so it doesn't work for them. (not you two, I presume) This reply is for the unwashed masses reading this thread....

Permithrin is not a repellant. There is no "halo" of vapor that disorients and repels bugs. If there were, it would evaporate in hours, like DEET and Picardin, rather than the months that permithrin works. Permithrin is a dry contact poison for insects and ticks. It attacks their nervous system, sending them into convulsions. They stagger off, fall away, and die. You can watch it happening. It works because most bugs taste with their toes. Before they bite you, they check the taste and smell of your surface layer, and the permithrin hits them in a flash.

As far as I know, permithrin has no smell for people. But it is applied using a solvent that will leave an odor for a while. When the solvent is gone, permithrin is supposed to be harmless to people's skin. It probably is....the military has been using and testing it for a long time.

Home application comes in two forms: a spray bottle that you use to wet the surface of your clothing while it hangs on a clothesline, and a zip-lock bag that you put the clothes and liquid into, and shake to saturate the cloth. I find the latter to do a much more uniform job of application. In either case, you have to wait until all the liquid evaporates before you can handle it. The home liquid is mostly water, but I suppose that the Bugsaway factory treatment is done with a more penetrating solvent.

So you can see that permithrin does nothing for exposed skin and gaps in your clothing. You still need the DEET or Picardin in those places. I sometimes use the sun lotion that contains Picardin, though it stinks a lot.

California's little biting flies are a different sort of nuisance (though not nearly as blood-thirsty as New York State's black flies!). They are attracted by your breath, and frequently get inhaled. They go for eyes and ears and lips, where repellants are not easily applied. When they are swarming, only a head net works to keep them off. Head nets are hot and interfere with your seeing, but I still carry one to use near the bottom of Tenaya Canyon. When the biting flies are bad, all you can do is keep moving as fast as you can....
June 25, 2013 12:01PM
plawrence, thx for the link to Amazon. Nice!

Browsing around Amazon ... How does this look? Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B54JNBM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7F6BUR7SKO5V

Thx
June 25, 2013 12:37PM
That's the brand (Sawyer) of 20% Picaridin that I used on my recent trips to Yosemite. It worked great, even when I was being mobbed by mosquitoes at Tenaya Lake.

(Haven't encountered biting flies while using it yet, so I can't personally vouch on the effectiveness against biting flies, though it supposed to be more effective against the flies than DEET.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login