Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

From Oakland, CA?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 14, 2013 10:14PM
Anyone on here from Oakland, CA and at Tuolumne Meadows Campground last weekend? My wife and I met a very nice couple at the 'Lodge' on Sunday morning before breakfast. Just wondering if it was someone from this blog...
Re: From Oakland, CA?
June 16, 2013 08:10AM
The lodge? Is the TM lodge open to the public? I've never been to it, but for some reason I thought it was only open to people staying there.
June 16, 2013 09:07AM
Like all the HSC's they have the same allotment of 6 extra Meals Only Plans available each day. I suspect at TM most of these are sold as same day walk-ups. It's possible they may also be separating the cost of dinner and breakfast but only at TM (normally Meals Only includes both). That's just my suspicion; I'm not certain.
June 16, 2013 11:14AM
tomdisco

Like all the HSC's they have the same allotment of 6 extra Meals Only Plans available each day. I suspect at TM most of these are sold as same day walk-ups.

While it's part of the High Sierra Camp Loop, the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge (also signed on the property as the "Tuolumne Lodge" is not an actual Yosemite High Sierra Camp (HSC). The standard rules that apply to the actual HSCs do NOT apply to the Tuolumne Lodge.

Its dining room is open to all (guests and non-guests alike). Reservations are required for all, though they do accept walk-up reservations during dinner time if seats are still available. Note, you'll be dining with other diners sharing your table.

For dinner, they have sittings every 15 minutes starting at 5:45 PM until 8:00 PM.
June 16, 2013 09:56AM
T.M.H.S.C. dining room in indeed open to the public. You do need to make a reservation. They are not limited to just 6 spaces either, they have a set number of seatings and if you have a reservation you get in. If you are staying there you still need to make a reservation, at least for dinner. Best to do it the night before when the lodge is full. Last week when it was not full there were lots of dinner reservations available.
June 16, 2013 04:49PM
Tuolomne Meadows HSC dining room have you share tables with other guests, in that way it is family style like the other High Sierra Camps. In all other aspects it is just like a restaurant in that you order from a full assortment of menu items, only pay for what you order rather than fixed price meal and can order beer or wine.
June 17, 2013 08:28AM
I obviously stand corrected. Never ate there myself. The HSC that's not really an HSC, but is, sort of, maybe?Feed ME!
June 17, 2013 12:52PM
It's not.

Old Dude
June 17, 2013 01:34PM
If it looks like a HSC, smells like a HSC, and tastes like a HSC...
It's probably a HSC. Good think I not step in it.

Although I'm pretty sure Bearpoof guy think the whole thing a mirage:

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 17, 2013 01:48PM
Well, it was a High Sierra Camp once, and may be so again. Moreover, it's in the high sierra. It's a camp. And, as Lewis Carrol wrote:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.'
June 17, 2013 02:02PM
Not really wanting to step into a semantic debate, but... I remember reading an old brochure for the HSCs that mentioned that the Tuolumne Meadows and (Tenaya Lake*) HSCs were for hikers/equestrians only, and that car campers should instead stay at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge--strongly suggesting that at one time the HSC and lodge were different. Question: what/where was this old TM Lodge? Parsons Lodge, which would have been on the Tioga Road adjacent to a campground then?

* The Tenaya Lake HSC was later relocated to May Lake--it was located where the also-now-closed Tenaya Lake campground was, near the Sunrise trailhead.
June 17, 2013 08:00PM
Feel free to give Z Old Dooood a hard time.

The Lodge and High Sierra Camp have, from what I have seen on maps and whatnot...
have always been in the same location... at some point in time... sometime mid-50's or later...
they removed High Sierra Camp from the name and only used Lodge... although the
accommodations remained the same. Lodge sounds better than Camp.

At least that's my take on things.

June 17, 2013 08:06PM
I remember passing you in Pate Valley...you're not older than I am and I wasn't alive in the mid-50s. You're living in Old Dude's past and he's living in the present?!
June 17, 2013 08:54PM
They installed the metal signs in the 50's... smiling smiley

And yeah... my apologies... for not stopping and talking a bit... I was in a bit of a fowl mood...
as I wasn't really expecting to see anyone that trip... and had seen about 5 that day already...
a bear had eaten my video player, stolen my long johns, and made off with my Neo Air...
and I was about 1 minute from jumping off the trail to follow the Tuolumne to it's entrance into
HH reservoir...

June 18, 2013 12:22AM
chick-on
sometime mid-50's or later...

It's called marketing.
June 19, 2013 08:05AM
eeek
chick-on
sometime mid-50's or later...

It's called marketing.

Can't help wonder how many first timers drive down that road looking for a huge timber framed lodge.bear trap
June 19, 2013 10:58AM
I know of one group of motorcyclists who upon arrival at the parking lot made a comment along the lines of "I was expecting there to be a real lodge here."
June 17, 2013 09:33PM
chick-on
I know those HSC's are not mirages...I loved camping near them with my kids when they were young and cute...they would stand at the outside of the meal tents with big, sad eyes and a hungry look on their faces as all of the diners were emerging after gorging themselves, and the kids would usually get invited in to take all of the remaining dessert, rolls, and butter they could handle. Sadly, when the kids became teenagers that ploy didn't work anymore.
June 18, 2013 01:17AM
chick-on
If it looks like a HSC, smells like a HSC, and tastes like a HSC

But it doesn't have the same rules and procedures of a true HSC. In how one books, stays in a room, and eats and pays at the restaurant, it's more like Curry Village or the Ahwahnee, then a real HSC.

Showing one (or several) obsolete trail signs doesn't make it so in 2013.

But one thing I noticed (I've had dinner there the past two Sundays), even though online (on the NPS website and the DNC website) the place is referred to as Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, in person, on most of the signage — on the property itself and even on Tioga Road — it's referred to as just the Tuolumne Lodge, the word, Meadows, is omitted.

June 18, 2013 02:19AM
plawrence
chick-on
If it looks like a HSC, smells like a HSC, and tastes like a HSC

But it doesn't have the same rules and procedures of a true HSC. In how one books, stays in a room, and eats and pays at the restaurant, it's more like Curry Village or the Ahwahnee, then a real HSC.

Showing one (or several) obsolete trail signs doesn't make it so in 2013.

But one thing I noticed (I've had dinner there the past two Sundays), even though online (on the NPS website and the DNC website) the place is referred to as Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, in person, on most of the signage — on the property itself and even on Tioga Road — it's referred to as just the Tuolumne Lodge, the word, Meadows, is omitted.

Changing the name was just marketing. It's easier to get people to book a lodge.
June 18, 2013 02:40AM
eeek

Changing the name was just marketing. It's easier to get people to book a lodge.

Then why stop there?

Why didn't they then call it a resort versus a camp (or lodge)? Like its lodging neighbor did, the Tioga Pass Resort?

June 18, 2013 07:17AM
OK. Um... I am just giving The Old Dood a hard time.

And Bearproof... (.02 to the HSC/Lodge)

(but I do agree it was 110% marketing)
tongue sticking out smiley

June 21, 2013 01:08PM
plawrence
Then why stop there?

Because they did.
June 21, 2013 05:39PM
Doing a little research it appears that the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and the Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp were two separate entities, with the lodge residing where it currently resides but with the former Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp residing in a portion of where the present Tuolumne Meadows Campground is currently located.

So it's not as if the Yosemite Park & Curry Company decided to change the name of the Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, since both had existed together at the same time with different names. In other words, the name of the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge has never changed, it has always been called the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge.

The confusion is that once upon a time there was also a Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp that no longer exists.

June 23, 2013 05:49PM
The DNC staff at Tuolumne Meadows are, mostly, wearing t-shirts for "Yosemite High Sierra Camps", which include the "Tuolumne" and "White Wolf" camps.

Their management appears to be confused.
June 23, 2013 08:35PM
plawrence
Doing a little research it appears that the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge and the Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp were two separate entities, with the lodge residing where it currently resides but with the former Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp residing in a portion of where the present Tuolumne Meadows Campground is currently located.

So it's not as if the Yosemite Park & Curry Company decided to change the name of the Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, since both had existed together at the same time with different names. In other words, the name of the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge has never changed, it has always been called the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge.

The confusion is that once upon a time there was also a Tuolumne Meadows High Sierra Camp that no longer exists.

<wikipedia>Citation needed</wikipedia>
June 23, 2013 08:42PM
chick-on
If it looks like a HSC, smells like a HSC, and tastes like a HSC...
It's probably a HSC. Good think I not step in it.

These signs are from the 50s?
June 23, 2013 09:36PM
June 17, 2013 03:27PM
Back to the topic: We are from Oakland and are a nice couple(some think), but we weren't in the park then.smiling smiley Happy Hiking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login