Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: New "Snow Plants" episode of Yosemite Nature Notes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

New "Snow Plants" episode of Yosemite Nature Notes
June 19, 2013 12:24PM
avatar Re: New "Snow Plants" episode of Yosemite Nature Notes
June 19, 2013 02:37PM
Good job, Steve.
June 19, 2013 05:14PM
The snow plants are definitely in bloom right now throughout Yosemite. Saw them everywhere. (No, I didn't take any close-up photos of them. Have taken a number of photos of them before.)

June 19, 2013 06:10PM
Well, I didn't include this in the Ostrander Lake pics I posted on the 9th, but along the trail near the saddle just before Ostrander Lake:

June 19, 2013 07:58PM
Great video. I always love seeing snow plants. We were there last weekend but the ones that we saw were already dried up.
June 19, 2013 06:51PM
They taste rather bland and is stringy like bad asparagus.
June 20, 2013 07:32AM
Dave
They taste rather bland and is stringy like bad asparagus.

LOL ... I worked for the Nevada State Parks. A lady brought one up to the office, asked "what is this?". We told her, "That is a $5000.00 fine.". You should have seen the look.
June 20, 2013 09:24AM
I pointed out snow plants to the nephews on hikes in Yosemite since they were infants (now in their 20's.) Now they note. as do I, seeing their first one each year.
avatar Snow Plants Video Episode Released
June 20, 2013 11:44AM
Episode Marks 21st Web Video of Yosemite Nature Notes

"Snow Plants," the latest episode of the popular Yosemite Nature Notes series, has been released. Each episode is about eight minutes and explores interesting and often little known stories about Yosemite National Park. This is the 21st episode of Yosemite Nature Notes.

The snow plant, Sarcodes Sanguinea, is a distinctive red plant that grows on the forest floor in late May and June, and can often be seen along park roads. The plant, which lacks the color green, sometimes grows through patches of snow. Snow plants are found throughout California, northern Baja Mexico, and Southern Oregon.

Snow plants thrive between 4,000 and 8,000 feet in elevation. Lacking chlorophyll, snow plants nourish themselves by parasitizing on a fungus found in forest floor soils. This fungus has a mutually beneficial relationship with nearby pine and fir trees, helping the trees get water and nutrients in exchange for sugars from the tree. The snow plant has tapped into this energy source, obtaining nutrients and sugars from the fungus. Several other plant species in the park, pinedrops and some orchids, have developed a similar parasitic lifestyle. Many animals and insects feed on the pollen and nectar of the snow plant, including hummingbirds and bees.

"Anyone who comes to the Sierra Nevada this time of the year is going to be captivated by this plant," stated Yosemite Park Ranger Erik Westerlund, who is featured in the episode.

The most common places in Yosemite to see Snow Plants is in Yosemite Valley, the Mariposa Grove, Glacier Point, along the Wawona Road and Tioga Road, and near the Porcupine Creek Trailhead.

"Yosemite Nature Notes inspires a love of the outdoors and interest in protecting park resources by connecting visitors from around the globe to Yosemite through the internet," said Mike Tollefson, president, Yosemite Conservancy. "This is a fascinating, informative and visually compelling web series that takes viewers on a unique journey through the park to learn about its iconic features, history and the surprises that nature brings."

The videos have been viewed by over seven million people throughout the world. In addition to Yosemite Nature Notes, several bonus episodes have also been produced such as "Behind the Scenes: Moonbows," "Winter Moments," and "One Day in Yosemite." Each episode typically takes several years to acquire footage and provide unique view of Yosemite that visitors may overlook. This also marks the fifth year of the popular web-based video series.

Production of Yosemite Nature Notes series was funded by Yosemite Conservancy. This series is produced by Filmmaker Steven M. Bumgardner.
June 21, 2013 08:22AM
He have some of these in the backyard of our cabin...but this year they died young, before they could fully bloom. Probably something to do with the lack of water this year...

Here's a shot of them just breaking out last year:

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 08:23AM by balzaccom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login