Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ten Lakes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ten Lakes
June 20, 2013 06:18PM
I just got back from a long weekend spent at Ten Lakes. This was not my first choice of places to go but one that the Rangers gave us. I am really glad they did, what a beautiful place!The hike up was mostly dry. Halfmoon Meadow had some snow that melted before we hiked back through on Sunday. We did see several large groups camped around the big, main lake. There was no one else around any of the other lakes. We spent the entire day on Saturday exploring the other lakes. There were very few mosquitos except around a few bogs. There, we were swarmed by thousands of mosquitos! They covered every inch of us, turning us black. I wanted to take a picture but we were running too fast to stop. I was laughing so hard that I inhaled hundreds of them. Fortunately for the mosies, we passed through their bog quickly. The daytime temps were a fantastic high in the mid 60's and lows around 30. I absolutely can't wait to go back and explore. I would have posted earlier but I seem to be having a technical issue with my brain trying to figure out how to post pictures. I have tried to post the pictures below, I don't have too much faith though!

June 21, 2013 08:04AM
Excellent. Sounds like it may be a short season for the skeeters if you did not see any around the lakes.
June 21, 2013 10:10AM
atomicmonkey
I just got back from a long weekend spent at Ten Lakes. This was not my first choice of places to go but one that the Rangers gave us. I am really glad they did, what a beautiful place!The hike up was mostly dry. Halfmoon Meadow had some snow that melted before we hiked back through on Sunday. We did see several large groups camped around the big, main lake. There was no one else around any of the other lakes. We spent the entire day on Saturday exploring the other lakes. There were very few mosquitos except around a few bogs. There, we were swarmed by thousands of mosquitos! They covered every inch of us, turning us black. I wanted to take a picture but we were running too fast to stop. I was laughing so hard that I inhaled hundreds of them. Fortunately for the mosies, we passed through their bog quickly. The daytime temps were a fantastic high in the mid 60's and lows around 30. I absolutely can't wait to go back and explore. I would have posted earlier but I seem to be having a technical issue with my brain trying to figure out how to post pictures. I have tried to post the pictures below, I don't have too much faith though!

http://atomicmonkey.zenfolio.com/p158130018/h6062674b

http://atomicmonkey.zenfolio.com/p158130018/h665711bb

http://atomicmonkey.zenfolio.com/p158130018/h634291cc

http://atomicmonkey.zenfolio.com/p158130018/h638a99ff

http://atomicmonkey.zenfolio.com/p158130018/h62373fac

Thanks for posting the links to your photos. Your images cannot be displayed directly in your post because they appear to be displayed using Adobe Flash on your photo hosting website. Images need to be displayed as jpegs, gifs, tiffs, or pngs to be directly embedded in one's post on this forum. Flash images cannot be displayed directly, unfortunately, but links to them work just fine.

Still, they're great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

June 21, 2013 11:22AM
Thanks for posting. Hope to be around there soon. Seeing your pictures definitely makes me want to explore around there.
June 24, 2013 06:51AM
Berry Kewl

Ewe gotz me thinking that perhops you the guy in front of me at TM permit station
on the 14th... asking ranger where good view of GCT of Too-ol-um-mee can be
seen from Ten Lakes area. ?? And also it possible to hike down to Z riva.

If so... you go up Grand? (how da heck you get lost there beyond me)
Colby is nice too .... and a bunch of other spots.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 24, 2013 08:56AM
WOW! Small world, that was me. The ranger gave us some great advice, we ended up exploring down the stream aways towards GCT. It was great!! The water falls were cool and the views down the canyon were great.

I am not 100% sure that I can make it down the stream to GCT without climbing gear. Would be fun though to go out via Glen Aulin.
June 24, 2013 10:39AM
smiling smiley

I was surprised the ranger didn't ask you where you wanted to go.... the board had very few "full" tags on it.
Was amused that you mentioned about this goofy forum... at least I kind of figured you were
alluding to a question posted here a bit ago by what you said.

Anywho. Looks like ewe awl had a great time. Ten Lakes is a really great destination with a lot of
things to check out and explore.

Here's Falls Ridge and a whole lotta more from Grand Mtn:

Check it out next time you go there. There's some interesting quartz up there too.

Have fun

June 24, 2013 11:00AM
I think it was this forum that had a quick note about going down the creek from TL to GCT. I am very interested in doing this as I remembered seeing this from below in the GCT. We did hike down a bit until I thought about the climb back up and my sea level lungs! The other area that I am chomping at the bits to do is the Cherry Creek. Your pictures of it were great and really got me thinking of doing it next spring.
June 24, 2013 05:02PM
By the way, how was your moka pot brewed espresso? Did it meet your high standards? Any difficulty in brewing the espresso at altitude?

June 25, 2013 12:00AM
The big drawback is that it weighs 14oz. But since I have worked very hard to get our pack weights down to the mid 20's with food and water, I am going to indulge in a little living! It was more difficult than Via, but it was a little like being at the Ritz Carlton. I frothed a little bit of powdered milk and had a cappuccino blazing hot in my titanium cup! It was a great way to start my day and even through my wife's laughter at the extent that I went to have a great cup, she sure enjoyed her own cup! There were no issues with the high altitude and the whole process was only a couple of minutes.

June 25, 2013 12:25AM
atomicmonkey
The big drawback is that it weighs 14oz. But since I have worked very hard to get our pack weights down to the mid 20's with food and water, I am going to indulge in a little living! It was more difficult than Via, but it was a little like being at the Ritz Carlton. I frothed a little bit of powdered milk and had a cappuccino blazing hot in my titanium cup! It was a great way to start my day and even through my wife's laughter at the extent that I went to have a great cup, she sure enjoyed her own cup! There were no issues with the high altitude and the whole process was only a couple of minutes.

http://www.atomicmonkey.us/p158130018#h6d3eb95b

Cool.

Glad to see that the moka pot fit comfortably on top of the JetBoil. I doubt that I would ever go to the trouble of making an espresso on a car camping trip let alone a backpacking trip. I admire your dedication to your craft of brewing the perfect espresso.

June 25, 2013 04:54AM
Wow, apparently Chick-on has trackers on all of us at once we get within 200 miles of the park. If you can tell me where I was last weekend, I'll be really impressed haha
June 25, 2013 06:45AM
oakroscoe
Wow, apparently Chick-on has trackers on all of us at once we get within 200 miles of the park. If you can tell me where I was last weekend, I'll be really impressed haha

Just dumb luck. Completely avoid the trail mostly.. and if see someone... give them a wide berth ...
Don't like being stuck in a rut. Amazed at some of the trail work going on.
Anywho... hmm... lemme see...
Edith - nah.. purty sure I'll get there again first ... haha tongue sticking out smiley
Bearup - nah... you just were in JMC
Kibbie - hahaha - no way - too many peeps
Cherry - nah
Hyatt - nah
Crabtree - nah
Lyell - naht yet
So.. gotta be 108 ... Kennedy ... hmm... maybe.. but I doubt
So I'll go Sonora Pass or Leavitt Meadows...
Actually I'll go Leavitt Lake to Long Lakes...

How I do?

June 27, 2013 04:10AM
Okay, I'm really impressed. It was a trick question in that I wasn't backpacking, but car camping...but you still got within a few miles. I had forgotten back in january that I had agreed to camp with some coworkers at Cragg's Campground off HWY 108. Believe me as I drove by the Leavitt Lake campground I would have preferred to trailhead out of there instead of being in a car campsite. That being said, it still was a lot of fun to go out four wheeling on the Masonic Trail.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login