Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow condition from Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snow condition from Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest??
June 23, 2013 02:10PM
Hello!

Wondering if anyone can give me the newest update with snow conditions following the trail from Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest.

Thanks in advance!

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 02:10PM by gkim.
avatar Re: Snow condition from Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest??
June 23, 2013 06:23PM
I can't speak for that specific trail, but I just got back from hiking to Townsley Lake (about 10360', higher than your route), some snow on the south (shaded by Fletcher Peak) side, only tiny patches on the north side in shaded spots, nothing below that elevation, and even there nothing that could possibly get in your way if you're on a trail. Plenty of snow-free terrain above that elevation.
June 23, 2013 08:08PM
thanks ttilley! appreciate the help and update on the elevation and snow

Gene
June 23, 2013 09:11PM
Did Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake last Tuesday (June 18th) and there was no snow. Enjoy smiling smiley
June 24, 2013 07:23AM
calicokat
Did Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake last Tuesday (June 18th) and there was no snow. Enjoy smiling smiley

Same day out and back? What time did you leave/ How long did it take each way? Doing that as a day hike in September.
June 24, 2013 08:11AM
Clouds Rest from the Sunrise Trailhead is a hike that is easily done in one day (without snow, probably even with snow) I did this hike last August - Got to the trailhead around 6:45AM was at Clouds Rest by 10AM, back to trailhead by 1PM - back in the Valley by 2PM - I went by myself and was moving pretty quickly - but there is only one incline on the trail that is challenging (I think about 900 feet) and it comes in the first couple of miles when you are fresh - I think that this is one of the best hikes in the park
June 24, 2013 10:19AM
SoCalCPA
Clouds Rest from the Sunrise Trailhead is a hike that is easily done in one day (without snow, probably even with snow) I did this hike last August - Got to the trailhead around 6:45AM was at Clouds Rest by 10AM, back to trailhead by 1PM - back in the Valley by 2PM - I went by myself and was moving pretty quickly - but there is only one incline on the trail that is challenging (I think about 900 feet) and it comes in the first couple of miles when you are fresh - I think that this is one of the best hikes in the park

Ditto

Old Dude
June 24, 2013 08:43PM
Oh wow. That sounds very do-able! Thanks for the info.
June 24, 2013 08:44PM
Did you do an out and back or a loop?
June 25, 2013 06:00AM
It's an out and back as a day hike.
July 02, 2013 09:46PM
calicokat

how much water was there at the tenaya lake outlet?
July 03, 2013 09:17AM
ryanmj

how much water was there at the tenaya lake outlet?

Over two weeks ago (June 16) the water was low enough that you could walk over on the rocks and only get the very bottom of your boots (or shoes) wet. I suspect it's a bit lower now.

July 03, 2013 09:17AM
Very little, and there are stepping stones so no need to get your feet wet at all.
July 03, 2013 02:29PM
thanks, possibly going down the canyon next week, I'll check the falls below Half dome to make sure the levels are low enough
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login