Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite visitors reflect on deadly mistakes along a fabled trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite visitors reflect on deadly mistakes along a fabled trail
June 24, 2013 11:12AM
At least 14 people have gone over falls along the Mist Trail in the last 10 years. None survived.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/09/local/la-me-yosemite-mist-trail-20130610
avatar Re: Yosemite visitors reflect on deadly mistakes along a fabled trail
June 24, 2013 12:41PM
Here's a link to the same Los Angeles Times article but with fewer annoying ads inserted within the copy of the article and more photos, a poll, and graphic on the side of the article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-yosemite-mist-trail-20130610,0,721053,full.story

June 24, 2013 12:48PM
Nice article. It asks, "Nothing's really changed. Same mountains. Same river. So, why are so many more people dying?"

Well, the number of visitors is up. More people spend most of their time indoors, where the harsh realities of Mother Nature are muted. They are used to entertainment where they see people doing impossible things and never suffering any consequences. But the main reason, I think, was well stated by Dogbert:

"People aren't getting any smarter."
June 24, 2013 01:06PM
Maybe placing posters along the trail is the wrong way to go. The Australian Metro trains have had problems with deaths, and they found a way to get the public's attention:

http://news.yahoo.com/quirky-dumb-ways-die-campaign-sweeps-advertising-awards-041806243.html

"Best of all, Metro Trains reports a 21 percent reduction in accidents and deaths since the campaign began."
June 24, 2013 01:20PM
wherever

Maybe placing posters along the trail is the wrong way to go. The Australian Metro trains have had problems with deaths, and they found a way to get the public's attention:

http://news.yahoo.com/quirky-dumb-ways-die-campaign-sweeps-advertising-awards-041806243.html

"Best of all, Metro Trains reports a 21 percent reduction in accidents and deaths since the campaign began."

June 24, 2013 02:02PM
wherever
Nice article. It asks, "Nothing's really changed. Same mountains. Same river. So, why are so many more people dying?"

Well, the number of visitors is up. More people spend most of their time indoors, where the harsh realities of Mother Nature are muted. They are used to entertainment where they see people doing impossible things and never suffering any consequences. But the main reason, I think, was well stated by Dogbert:

"People aren't getting any smarter."

People need to be more aware and educated on the dangers of the Merced. The water can be very deceptive. Some of the pictures posted last week (by BasilParrot, I think) of people near Nevada can be used as evidence. Perhaps signs are ignored because people think the dangers are exaggerated? But it's too bad that common sense doesn't prevail w/r to going into the river, particularly above a waterfall. It really should be strictly prohibited.

For the recent incident, a friend of the person who died actually made it back safely from the same rock. They were swimming together.
June 24, 2013 03:28PM
Ohnivy-Drak

It really should be strictly prohibited.

It would only be possible to patrol so much of the river so much of the time. Some people would take the absence of a ranger (or a sign) as permission to try something dumb while they had the chance.

Literal translation: "Stay behind the fool guards"
June 24, 2013 05:32PM
A couple weeks ago I picked up my Ostrander Lake permit at the Valley, and "don't swim above a waterfall, there are good and bad places to swim" was a new part of the lecture. Not sure if Tuolumne had the same addition or if it was just at the Valley (I showed up towards the end of the lecture last weekend).
July 10, 2013 05:24PM
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/half-dome/reviews.htm

That link will get you to a site that reviews Yosemite hikes, among other things.
On this page, someone named J Rankin gives a review of the Half Dome hike.
One of the things that we learn from this review is that there are no signs telling
the hiker that this is a potentially deadly hike.

To open ones own two eyes, view the cable route, engage the brain, process available
information and make a decision is not an option. A sign; give us a sign.

I blame the surgeon general.
July 10, 2013 06:06PM
AnotherDave
A sign; give us a sign.

They work so well at the top of Vernal...
July 10, 2013 06:54PM
eeek
AnotherDave

A sign; give us a sign.

They work so well at the top of Vernal...

The signs on the top of Vernal are probably effective and have deterred a good number of people from wading into those dangerous waters. The signs just aren't 100% effective.

Some people don't pay heed to any warning signs. But many others do.

July 12, 2013 05:15PM
While I COMPLETELY agree that people need to take responsibility for themselves and their loved ones in the wilderness, I am VERY glad for the signs at Vernal Falls. While I'm sure my wife would not have swam in emerald pool, it was very inviting to her (she loves to swim in mountain streams). The sign meant that it was never even a brief consideration!
July 12, 2013 05:23PM
Hitech
While I COMPLETELY agree that people need to take responsibility for themselves and their loved ones in the wilderness, I am VERY glad for the signs at Vernal Falls. While I'm sure my wife would not have swam in emerald pool, it was very inviting to her (she loves to swim in mountain streams). The sign meant that it was never even a brief consideration!

Perhaps it's just a matter of time that Emerald Pool is erased from all maps, handouts, etc. I think it's been wiped from the High Sierra Loop sign.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login