Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
June 30, 2013 10:54AM
Heading out on the Grand Canyon loop and wanted to hear from any recent hikers on what the conditions are like...skeeters, trail conditions and waterfalls?? What's happening out there?
Leaving mid-week - Thank you
Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
July 01, 2013 07:19AM
Not the GCT, but we camped just north of Tuolumne Peak this weekend, not far from the Canyon as the crow flies. We were looking at Falls Ridge and upper parts of the canyon from our campsite. Skeeters were bad from about 9000' to at least 10000'. Last weekend it was worse in the Lyell Headwall area from 9500-10,500', so I'm thinking skeeters won't be a problem in the canyon itself... but the flies were already starting.. and in the canyon, I'd expect them - I gently suggest you bring a headnet.

Big concern for me would be the heat at least through Thursday. As mentioned in a previous post, stay hydrated. Don't overheat. Pate Valley will be HOT. And in the past, I found it humid and hot, which drains me.

Saturday night at 10,000' the lowest temp any of us saw was 60 degrees just before dawn. At 4000' in Pate Valley... ugh.. if anyone went, hopefully they'll respond..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login