Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Day Pack Ideas?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 30, 2013 06:17PM
Looking to get a day pack. Something along the lines of the Osprey Manta 28 hydration pack. Anyone have other suggestions for a similar type and size day pack? 28L is about as large as I want to go. I was thinking 25L would be ideal for my purposes. When I am carrying my larger backpack I typically also have with me an REI Flash 18 pack. That pack is great, lightweight, but too small for many longer day hikes. This new pack would be used for dedicated day hikes/trips when I do not have my larger backpack with me.
June 30, 2013 07:40PM
Just make sure the water bag has an opening big enough to fill the thing with ice cubes. Which ever pack fits comfortably and feels good on your back is the best one to get.
July 01, 2013 06:59AM
Dave
Just make sure the water bag has an opening big enough to fill the thing with ice cubes. Which ever pack fits comfortably and feels good on your back is the best one to get.

The Osprey pack I am looking at has an interesting hydration bladder with a large opening and a handle and a firm flat side for ease of use (easy to get in and out of the pack sleeve.)
July 01, 2013 05:47AM
Paris92
Looking to get a day pack. Something along the lines of the Osprey Manta 28 hydration pack. Anyone have other suggestions for a similar type and size day pack? 28L is about as large as I want to go. I was thinking 25L would be ideal for my purposes. When I am carrying my larger backpack I typically also have with me an REI Flash 18 pack. That pack is great, lightweight, but too small for many longer day hikes. This new pack would be used for dedicated day hikes/trips when I do not have my larger backpack with me.

Exactly the pack we bought. Not too large. This baby is very well thought out. We did a lot of shopping.

It doesn't feel heavy. Sometimes I wish we had gone for the 36, for more water.
July 01, 2013 07:01AM
W7SG
Paris92

Exactly the pack we bought. Not too large. This baby is very well thought out. We did a lot of shopping.

It doesn't feel heavy. Sometimes I wish we had gone for the 36, for more water.

Thanks. My large backpack is an Osprey (so I am biased), and from what I saw on the website I agree it looks like the details have been thought out. I figure I can supplement the water bladder with a couple of Nalgene's in the side pockets, if needed.
July 01, 2013 07:07AM
I'll suggest the Osprey Exos 34. Basilbop uses that as his day pack, and had I not started with the Exos 46 first, I'd have bought the 34 as well. We both use an Exos 58 as our backpacking packs. The 46 weighs only 2 lb 5 oz, and is my "day pack".

The 34 is 2 lb 2 oz size M. I keep checking at REI and other places for a daypack that is lighter, but also has a good suspension and is cool to wear. We often do long day hikes, and depending on water conditions, I'll carry 3+ litres of water, and that weight alone makes me happy to have the full frame put the weight on my hips, not my shoulders.

So far, the Exos line is my favorite. And if you are concerned about full frame and mobility, I can assure you these packs will move really well with you while scrambling/XC.

Caveat: this is lighter-weight gear, and as such can't withstand abuse. If you are the type to step on waist belt buckles, or drag your pack over granite, probably not your thing. But we've used our Exos packs for thousands of miles over the years.

Whatever you do, make sure it's comfortable on you with ~10 pounds weight at minimum, I'd say.

Good luck!
July 07, 2013 08:56AM
Thanks. Will check them out at REI.
July 07, 2013 03:27PM
10 pounds? How much stuff are you guys carrying on a dayhike? My base weight for backpacking is under 10 pounds. As for daypacks, I have a GoLite that I've been happy with:
http://www.golite.com/gear/hydration-day
July 08, 2013 01:31AM
oakroscoe

As for daypacks, I have a GoLite that I've been happy with: http://www.golite.com/gear/hydration-day

Which size? 10L, 14L or 20L?

July 08, 2013 03:08AM
The 10L one. I don't carry much asides from my stove, water, sandwich, a few starbucks VIAs and a jacket so its the perfect size for me.
July 08, 2013 06:43AM
Base weight will include a few pounds of basic emergency gear, clothing and food, and up to 3 litres of water. We often do *long* hikes, we've done desert hikes. Sometimes water isn't easy to get.. 3 litres of water is 6.6 pounds, pack weighs 2 pounds. Add 1-2 pounds of food, 2 pounds of "gear" (GPS, radio, first aid, bug spray, sunscreen, rain jacket, gloves, hat, sundries, headlamp) and wow, that's easily 6 pounds before the water. 6.6 more pounds is 12.6 pounds. Even if you only carry 2 litres of water, that's 10.4 pounds. It just freaking adds up...*

So I say make sure the pack is comfy at 10 pounds for a "day" weight, and if you carry less, it should be even comfier! But if it's blazing hot out, and you've got thousands of feet to go up on dry switchbacks, (been there, done that) I'm not about to give up carrying water.... smiling smiley

*I've seen photobugs with many pounds of camera gear on them... I personally carry a 1 pound luxury item: my Crazy Creek Hexalite chair. Sometimes, if there is a good chance of a dip, I'll carry my water shoes for swimming, another 8 ounces. (My crocs aren't the lightest on my feet, but they are comfy on rocky/twiggy shores and lake/river beds, and I can use them as hiking shoes in a pinch, if, say, I left my hiking shoes at home... (Hello, Ten Lakes)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 06:57AM by JustKeepWalking.
July 07, 2013 07:29PM
I picked up a Patagonia lightweight travel pack--11 0z., 26 liters--and like it a lot. It's big enough to carry a sleeping bag, pad, and bivy sack, plus a down jacket. I bought it to use for winter day snowshoe/skis, but it's great in other seasons as well. It has a top lid and side pockets for water bottles or other things. No structure but comfortable for light weights, or my winter emergency gear provides structure. No hydration pocket though.

But I don't carry that much on a summer dayhike...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2013 07:37PM by hegel.
July 10, 2013 09:31PM
Paris92
When I am carrying my larger backpack I typically also have with me an REI Flash 18 pack. That pack is great, lightweight, but too small for many longer day hikes

I have this pack too, and it's the one I use for all my day hikes. I've often thought it was slightly too small, but I suppose that's a good thing as it forces me to move faster/carry less crap. It's also cheap enough that I don't feel bad abusing it.
July 11, 2013 06:55PM
edg
Paris92
When I am carrying my larger backpack I typically also have with me an REI Flash 18 pack. That pack is great, lightweight, but too small for many longer day hikes

I have this pack too, and it's the one I use for all my day hikes. I've often thought it was slightly too small, but I suppose that's a good thing as it forces me to move faster/carry less crap. It's also cheap enough that I don't feel bad abusing it.

I agree, but the lack of pockets, only one opening, and being a wee bit too small are the main reasons I am looking for something more on the lines of the packs mentioned.
July 27, 2013 05:28PM
Narrowed down to an Osprey 2012 25L (on sale), or an Osprey 2013 28L (full price)... Decisions, decisions... $50 difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 05:33PM by Paris92.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login