Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Buying hiking food in/near Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Buying hiking food in/near Yosemite
July 02, 2013 01:11PM
Hi all, flying in to visit you guys tomorrow!

I have a brief stopover in Manteca tomorrow evening, before driving to the valley on July 4th (I expect heavy traffic, if I am not on the road early).

Where is good to stock up on stove gas and dehydrated food / hiking snacks? I know there is a Bass Pro shop near my hotel, and there is a Walmart across the road from that, so will be heading there first. I did try to get an order shipped to store at Bass Pro, but they rejected it as they can't ship food or gas to the UK, and aparently, on their system, my billing address in the UK overides the fact that I selected "ship to store". Nevermind lol.

Is there a good selection of hiking food availible in the park, in case I can't get what I need in Mantecea?

Steve
avatar Re: Buying hiking food in/near Yosemite
July 02, 2013 01:49PM
Don't know how you define a good selection, but the park's concessionaire, DNC, has a supply of hiking/backpacking food in its stores throughout Yosemite (Yosemite Village, Curry Village, Tuolumne Meadows) and also stove gas at its stores within the park. The prices they charge as basically the regular (non-discount) price of the items.

In Manteca, besides Walmart (that should have a decent selection of freeze-dried food plus propane fuel) there's also a Costco that usually has an excellent price on variety packs of Mountain House freeze-dried food. Not sure if you're a Costco member (there are Costcos in the UK), but if you are a member, they have very good prices on the limited amount of outdoor gear that they do carry. Also in Manteca (as well as Oakdale) there is a Big 5 Sporting Goods store that should have freeze-dried food and stove fuel in stock.

If you're arriving to California via a San Francisco Bay Area airport, there's a convenient REI Store located in Dublin, California (near the the junction of Interstate 580 and Interstate 680 freeways) that would have anything you would need for your backpacking trip. Not sure at what time you would be passing through Dublin, CA on your way to Manteca, but if its during REI's business hours (they close at 9:00 PM on Wednesdays), it would be worth a stop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 01:52PM by plawrence.
July 02, 2013 02:08PM
We do have a Costco very close to me actually. Never been there, but I have heard good things.

I will be passing right by the REI store on my way to Mantcea, at about 6pm, hopefully, so will dive in there and see what I can pick up. That's fantastic, thanks.

Anything they don't have I will try for in Bass Pro.

Thanks for that.
July 03, 2013 09:17PM
Thanks for the info, spent some cash in REI, and Bass Pro. Unfortunately both were out of BV500s.

Nevermind.

Anyway, its 9pm, my brain thinks its 5am, and I am knackered from 24 hours of traveling. The pool here in Manteca sure looks tempting right now!

Steve
July 03, 2013 10:43PM
Interesting, there appears to been a run on BearVault BV500s in the past week. I saw them at two different REIs that I had visited a week ago. Now, none of the Bay Area REIs have them in stock.

July 04, 2013 05:52AM
They had a 450, but i needed the extra room.

I will see if I can find one between today between Manteca and the park.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login