Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Questions on first time backpacking in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Questions on first time backpacking in Yosemite
July 04, 2013 05:15AM
Hey Folks,

This is my first time backpacking in Yosemite and I am in need of some advice.
I'm planing to hike the trail from May lake to Ten lake.

I am in fairly good shape, is it reasonable to to the trail in 2 days or I need at least 3?

What's the best way to return back to your car at the end?

And also what is the water situation on the trail?

Any suggestions on a good place to camp for the nights?

Any suggestions and tips are more than welcome.

Thanks
Re: Questions on first time backpacking in Yosemite
July 04, 2013 06:53AM
I am in fairly good shape, is it reasonable to to the trail in 2 days or I need at least 3?

Hiking from the trailhead to May Lake is about an hour. Hiking to Ten Lakes basin from there is a full day of hiking. Depends on when you actually start hiking as to how far you are going to get. I think it would be hard to start later in the morning and get to Ten Lakes Basin in one day from the May Lake trailhead.

What's the best way to return back to your car at the end?

Hike back to where you started. That's really your only option.

And also what is the water situation on the trail?

You will find water in most of the creek and all the lakes. You should bring some way to purify you water: tablets, a filter, etc.

Any suggestions on a good place to camp for the nights?

Both May Lake and Ten Lakes Basin have plenty of places where people have clearly camped before. You should use one of those.

Any suggestions and tips are more than welcome.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Questions on first time backpacking in Yosemite
July 04, 2013 08:21AM
You do have the option of continuing down the Ten Lakes Trail to the Ten Lakes Trailhead on Tioga Road. From there all you need to do is hitch hike to May Lake Road and then hike back up to the trailhead to your car. This is normally a 2 night trip but could easily be a 3 nighter if you are inclined to explore all around the Ten Lakes basin. Don't know how much time you have for this. Tip: If you are unable to get a permit for May Lake trailhead you have a better chance of getting in at Murphy Creek trailhead, skipping May Lake, and saving it for a nice day trip that might include climbing Mt. Hoffman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 08:21AM by tomdisco.
Re: Questions on first time backpacking in Yosemite
July 06, 2013 07:23PM
balzaccom
Hiking to Ten Lakes basin from there is a full day of hiking.

A long hard day with a heck of a lot of elevation gain!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login