Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wild-Ideas Bearikade Custom Order Info

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Wild-Ideas Bearikade Custom Order Info
July 09, 2013 03:02PM
Basilbop and I have been very happy owners of a Bearikade Weekender for years now*. For the past year or so, we've been thinking about ordering a custom-sized Bearikade. We even borrowed our friend's Expedition (14.5"winking smiley to see if we liked that size or wanted to go bigger. We hemmed and hawed. We stalled. We stalled and hemmed and hawed because their website says "no returns on custom orders"... We finally decided to go with a custom 16" Bearikade, the tallest you can get before they have to double-wall the cylinder for strength.

And today when I called to order and spoke to the owner, he said please let your friends know that you can return custom orders in new, "ready for sale" condition. So.. we could have ordered the 16" can, and test packed over a year ago without risk! I suggested he update his website to reflect this policy, since the stated policy seemed so clear and restrictive. He's gonna talk to his website guy... smiling smiley

So.. if any of you were thinking about getting a custom Bearikade, but were concerned about fitting it, give them a call!

Wild-Ideas Berikade Custom Orders

*We sold our original Garcia ages ago, and we loved our Ursacks until they were no longer approved (we never had a problem with them). I detest our BearVault Solo. Between the threads getting difficult to turn (food grade silicone lubricant might help, blah blah) and the little tab that's hard for me to push in, where I've sat and almost cried because on a solo trip I couldn't get into the darned thing until it warmed up enough... and I was hungry... I just don't want to deal with it. I've been carrying it when we needed more space, but I have had Basilbop manipulate it. Now, if we need the space, we'll have the Weekender and the 16"er. Yay.
July 09, 2013 05:21PM
Thanks for the heads up. I wish they would make a smaller diameter (read, lighter weight and less bulky) weekender. I know they make a shorter one, but it's still the same diameter as the others. The large diameter is too bulky, IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 05:25PM by The Other Tom.
July 09, 2013 05:38PM
Gotta say I love the Scout. (That's the shorter version of the Weekender.) It's so much more packable than the Weekender. I can do six day hikes with the Scout. Yes, it's the same diameter but it really fits much better--horizontally, with room to spare on either side for socks, hats, etc,--in my pack.
avatar Re: Wild-Ideas Bearikade Custom Order Info
July 09, 2013 08:57PM
When they first came out I called them... and they said they just weren't allowed to...
something about the bear could get it's teeth into it or something...
Would love one the size of the Bear Boxer... it would be super dupa light.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 10, 2013 01:58AM
chick-on
something about the bear could get it's teeth into it or something...

They need to be wide enough to keep the bear from getting his jaw around the container.
July 10, 2013 08:26AM
Then why don't they make them the same diameter as the bare boxer ?
July 09, 2013 09:09PM
JustKeepWalking
I detest our BearVault Solo. Between the threads getting difficult to turn (food grade silicone lubricant might help, blah blah) and the little tab that's hard for me to push in, where I've sat and almost cried because on a solo trip I couldn't get into the darned thing until it warmed up enough... and I was hungry... I just don't want to deal with it.

Have you seen this trick for opening the BV?

July 09, 2013 09:42PM
I could not get the lid to turn. Between grit and freezing cold, (and I mean ice on everything) I couldn't spin the lid (this has happened several times for me), I saw the little nubbie clear the "stop", just couldn't grip and spin the lid at that point. I have tendonitis in my right wrist, and just haven't had the ability to spin that lid reliably.

Insult on injury, the BV Solo weighs about the same as our Bearikade Weekender and holds less. The Bearikade is a cinch for me to open and use, so I don't see the point of the BV for me. Once we have the 16", if we need a second can on a long trip, I'll be happy to take the Weekender with us.

We'll loan the BV out to friends who haven't committed to getting their own gear yet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 09:45PM by JustKeepWalking.
July 09, 2013 09:22PM
I bought a Weekender in advance of hiking the HST last year. My friends gave me some weird looks for spending so much on a bear can, but I like it so much more than the BV solo I had before thumbs up
July 09, 2013 09:56PM
You get it...

I figure hiking is my thing. My entertainment budget goes to gear. I don't go to the Opera anymore, no concerts, no shows, hardly any movies in theatres, and rarely an amusement park. I spend my pennies on my gear, in permit reservations, gas, cars, house (ouchie)... The Bearikade makes my life better, I've never been frustrated with it, and it's had so much use over the years, it's a downright bargain in terms of $/(s)miles. Everyone has their happy spot... smiling smiley
July 10, 2013 12:25AM
Got a Bearikade 7 or so years ago and ain't going back. Do need to throw some lube on the o-rings. Torque is getting tight on the fasteners.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login