Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Just for fun: Identify this Waterfall

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Just for fun: Identify this Waterfall
July 14, 2013 07:31AM
Although Yosemite is within "day trip" distance for me and I feel like I've spent a considerable amount of time in the park over the last 15 years, I am continually amazed by some of the members here and the frequency and scope of their trips.

I'm just curious how long it will take someone to identify the waterfall below.

I was doing a bit of fishing on July 5th and while you would expect Yosemite to be crawling with people, I spent six hours fishing and never saw or heard another person and 'discovered' this waterfall.

So.......... where was I?

Panorama:

By the way, it looks smaller in photo than in person. I'd estimate it to be about 8-10ft total drop. For a sense of scale, in the lower right on the Photosynth you can see my fly rod if you pan over and zoom in.

Photosynth:

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=37cd5dec-3deb-4ae5-8525-69e34e414004

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 08:30AM by JasonS.
avatar Re: Just for fun: Identify this Waterfall
July 14, 2013 11:01PM
JasonS

So.......... where was I?

Inside Yosemite National Park, of course!

Correct? Grinning Devil

Which creek? It looks like Yosemite Creek to me.

Correct?

July 15, 2013 08:30AM
Yep! Yosemite!

But you're also correct about Yosemite Creek. It's less than a mile downstream from the campground. It's a neat little place, I regret having not gone for a swim.
July 15, 2013 09:12AM
I almost opted to pass up a lovely swimming hole on a river (you'll find out which soon) on our hike out yesterday. It was 10:30 in the morning, we still had the bulk of the climbing to do.. but it was a perfect swimming hole: clean, clear, cool enough to soothe, not so cold I couldn't soak, and big rocks on the bottom, so no silty mess as I moved about and bonus rocks I could lounge on with my head still sticking up with no effort. I chatted with my hiking buddy, dithered and snacked for 20 minutes but finally stripped and popped in. SOOOO glad I did. It was lovely. If you *think* you have time to pop in, do it. If you think you don't, maybe re-jigger the plans... when the water is that perfect.... so worth it... smiling smiley
July 15, 2013 11:52AM
You didn't let anyone else guess!

btw... there is some really sweet stuff upstream of the Yose Falls bridge...
some really really nice stuff...

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 15, 2013 02:00PM
chick-on

You didn't let anyone else guess!

Jason waited for over 24 hours. You could have guessed earlier this morning before he replied back with the answer. How long should he have waited?

Over the 24 hours period, at lot of regulars visited this site and decided not to make a guess.

Besides once someone gave the correct answer (me smiling smiley ), there was no more reason for him to wait for other replies. wink

July 23, 2013 10:18PM
Nice idea. Continuing with the theme:

July 24, 2013 07:15PM
So the first photo is of Yosemite Falls? I always thought it was much higher than that.
July 24, 2013 07:18PM
Pohono
So the first photo is of Yosemite Falls? I always thought it was much higher than that.

It's only the bottom part of Lower Yosemite Falls.
July 24, 2013 07:41PM
eeek
Pohono

No. It's about here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.818573,-119.599593&t=t4&z=15

Alvin's waterfall is north of Gibbs.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 24, 2013 08:33PM
chick-on
eeek
Pohono

No. It's about here:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.818573,-119.599593&t=t4&z=15

Alvin's waterfall is north of Gibbs.

That's what I get for thinking I remember what thread this was.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login