Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite 4th of July +1

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite 4th of July +1
July 15, 2013 11:57PM
With a short family trip to Fresno only had time for a short day trip to Yosemite. We had not planned any hikes but my 15 year old, as we hiked in Alaska a few weeks ago, started talking about Half Dome again and decided he really wanted to do Nevada/Vernal Falls hike in preparation for a Half Dome trip next year. Of course my dad came along and we got a couple great rainbow shots. Very crowded, but I love crowds. Tourists in flip flops and dress shoes on Vernal Fall hike are fun to watch and see them enjoy the Falls for the first time and do something out of their element. The crowds really thinned out at Nevada but I've never seen it so crowded on Mist Trail. The mist from the Fall really cooled us Alaskans who almost were going to melt. Pictures below:

Does this count as swimming above Nevada Fall?

avatar Re: Yosemite 4th of July +1
July 16, 2013 12:07PM
The question on everyone's mind is: Did you have any Curry Pizza after that hike?
July 16, 2013 10:34PM
I would have totally rolled around in the water to cool off too! Great pics! I assume the +1 means you did it on the 5th? Up where we were, heading to and beyond Ostrander Lake, the 4th was utterly hot and muggy. Friday was still really warm for us, but had a cooler, drier breeze which was much appreciated.
July 16, 2013 11:06PM
JustKeepWalking
I would have totally rolled around in the water to cool off too!

As long as you don't tell anyone here I could admit to not being opposed to a dip in Emerald Pool or above Nevada in certain conditions.
July 16, 2013 10:51PM
The hike was July 5. And instead of the incredible Curry Pizza Deck, we ate at El Cid which was a somewhat suitable alternative. We really were worried about the heat. We have found ourselves melting and dragging around because of the oppressive heat this year in Anchorage---sunny between 70 and 75.

I have found that I can always go to Curry Pizza Deck when I am in Yosemite without my family or during big trips. A ranger told me that eating at Curry Pizza Deck would not be considered breaking a trip on a backpacking permit.
July 16, 2013 11:43PM
chicagocwright

I have found that I can always go to Curry Pizza Deck when I am in Yosemite without my family or during big trips.

What's this? Are you implying that your family doesn't share the same grand appreciation that you have for the greatness that is Curry Pizza Deck pizza? Otherwise, why would they even think of skipping an opportunity to enjoy the one-of-a-kind taste for a Curry Pizza Deck pizza?

(Or have they discovered an even better pizza up north in Alaska?)

July 17, 2013 01:33AM
plawrence
chicagocwright

I have found that I can always go to Curry Pizza Deck when I am in Yosemite without my family or during big trips.

What's this? Are you implying that your family doesn't share the same grand appreciation that you have for the greatness that is Curry Pizza Deck pizza? Otherwise, why would they even think of skipping an opportunity to enjoy the one-of-a-kind taste for a Curry Pizza Deck pizza?

(Or have they discovered an even better pizza up north in Alaska?)

Well in this case, we were trying to beat the traffic out of the valley. For the most part, we succeeded.
July 21, 2013 10:22AM
chicagocwright
The hike was July 5. And instead of the incredible Curry Pizza Deck, we ate at El Cid which was a somewhat suitable alternative.

I had curry pizza on the 5th of July. You missed out.
July 21, 2013 08:48PM
ryanmj
I had curry pizza on the 5th of July.

What happened on the 6th?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login