Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Starr Attraction

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Starr Attraction
July 16, 2013 09:20PM
Despite the Bay Area cool-down after last weekend's adventure, I couldn't get the images of the granite-lined pools a certain pink bird told me about, the pools that I had gazed upon from the distance, out of my head...

The bird asked if I wanted to go back, which of course I did...

And of course, the bird had no interest in following anything resembling the "as the bird flies" route, for this bird isn't into flying. So while my wife and OD, comprising the saner "B" team--took a direct route to the cool, refreshing waters of Illilouette Creek, I followed the bird through burnt out forests, across sandy flats, and up, over, and down numerous domes en route to the granite gorge and its sparkling pools and cascades.

The first mile or so was through a burnt out forest--many trunks still standing, but many having fallen.

Soon enough, we left the "ghost forest" behind and reached started climbing a rotten granite ridge with views of Horse and Horizon ridges.

Gently, open terrain led to the top of the first dome, which had very un-Yosemite-like weather-sculpted rocks on top.

In the distance, we could see the Starr King complex and, in a saddle below it, our night's destination, where we'd meet up with the B team.

After a drop into a gully and a brisk climb out of it, we topped our second dome, with had different, but still very un-Yosemite-like, rocks. While in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne it had appeared that liquid water had no impact on the granite, the granite on these domes appeared to be much more susceptible to the effects of water and wind.

Another drop, another climb, and more burnt-out shrubbery-choked forest.

Once on top, it was wide-open hands-in-pockets cross-country goodness, with views in every direction.

There were some unfortunate signs that others had been here... perhaps the water cache from a fire crew long-since gone?

The ridge led to another well-weathered dome-top with numerous small "windows" in the granite.

We made radio contact with Team B, but despite frantic waving around, we couldn't make visual contact. We confirmed that we were still hours from camp, and they confirmed that the camp was dry--we'd need to haul up water from Illilouette.

After a few (dozen) more pictures, we dropped--steeply at times--down to Illilouette.

After a long stop to replenish our depleted water supplies--and take a quick soak in the water--we eventually reached the upper end of the gorge area.

The water was as clear and refreshing up close as it had been a week ago from the rim of the gorge now above us, but our progress along steep, slick granite was slow.

Near the top of the large pool pictured above, we were forced high up the south wall of the gorge.

There were a few dicey sections, but eventually, via separate routes, we reached the bottom of the gorge section.

From there, travel back up-canyon to the large pool was straightforward, and the evening light brought a warm glow to the creek and gorge.

While it was tempting to take another plunge into the pool, the long shadows we cast across it reminded us that we still had a still climb--loaded with water--to reach camp. And Team B.

The five liters of water I was carrying weighed down on me as I slowly climbed to camp, making no real attempt to keep up with the pace of the pink bird.

The views from camp, of course, were worth the effort. While preparing dinner and getting ready for nightfall, we watched the sun set on the nearby Starr King domes and the Illilouette valley below us. At dusk, we could see a few climbers lighting their path back to their camp with headlamps, and in the distance we saw the headlights of cars near Glacier Point.

The nighttime was warm and clear, and even the breeze that blew a bit during the night was warm. At one point I awoke and stared at Pegasus, Cassiopeia, and the Andromeda Galaxy, whose light dated from before the great ice ages that scoured and polished the granite we were surrounded by, but I soon returned to a deep sleep.

The next day, Team B retraced their steps to the Illilouette's inviting waters and the trailhead. The pink bird and I set off on a fool's errand to try to locate a trail that at least one mapmaker believed might exist, connecting Little Yosemite Valley to the Starr King "plateau" area.

The pink bird convinced me that the easiest way to where this trail may have once ended was up and over two of the Starr King domes. (I'm convinced that only our lack of climbing pro kept us off the third one...) So, we set off up steep, open, and grippy granite slabs.

From the saddle between the two southern Starr King domes, we climbed to the southernmost dome, where we rested a bit and took many pictures. We again made radio, but not visual, contact with the B team.

To the north, we could see the dome we'd next climb, and the one we wouldn't behind it.

The climb up the middle dome was a bit steeper, but the granite was clean and gripped well.

As we neared the top, the rock became a bit more fractured, and the top had that weathered appearance we'd seen on all our dome summits.

From this summit, we could see our next destination--Starr King Lake and the open granite ridges to the north of it. Past that we could see many familiar Yosemite landmarks: Clouds Rest, Cathedral Peak, Matthes Crest, the top of the Cascade Cliffs, and Bunnel Point.

After a straightforward descent, we entered a thick forest, where an occasional solitary lily grasped for sunlight.

We soon emerged in a broad, open, sandy flat and could look back on where we'd been not too long ago.

After a bit more dome-and-ridge rambling, we could peer down into LYV and identify the slope that our trail may have once descended. There were no obvious cliff bands or other impassable obstacles.

As for the trail... well, it may have once existed, and the terrain would support construction of a simple duff route, but without significant widening or retaining rockwork, the soft, loose soil and abundant organic material could easily have obscured all traces of it. We followed established game paths down a long but straightforward path, but found no definitive signs--lines of rocks, blazes, cut logs--of a manmade trail.

We eventually reached the floor of LYV, and after threading around more downed trees, reached a logjam that crossed all but the final four or so feet of the Merced River.

We were soon on the trail, which we followed to the top of Nevada Falls where we stopped for lunch and a soak in the warm waters.

We mostly followed the JMT from there to Happy Isles, with a few side excursions.

Near the Vernal Falls bridge we heard that Team B had arrived in the valley; both teams arrived within a minute at the Happy Isles snack stand, where we all enjoyed cool treats.

More Pictures
July 16, 2013 10:26PM
B Team, eh? Well the B Team had a lot of fun! We were enjoying ourselves and the scenery every step! Glorious weather, just warm enough to enjoy a fabulous swim in a pool upstream of the Illilouette ford. Old Dude, like the Pink One, doesn't like to dip as much as I do, but was gracious enough to give me as much time as I wanted soaking and lounging in that utterly clear, cool and delicious water!

One scary moment when I saw a chunk of what I orginally thought was just algae heading upstream (underwater) on the rock I was sitting on - directly towards me! I took a closer look and saw spindly spider-like legs sticking out from a little tube covered with algae bits. I'd never seen this critter before (this water was stunningly clear and though moving, was really calm, so clarity was excellent. I wasn't sure what it was, but was told it was carnivorous by Old Dude. And running in my usual literal state, I believed him and gave my lovely lounging rock to the critter and carefully scanned my next rock-to-be. After seeing a snake swim out of the Merced - and then back into it - and now this bug.. I became very careful with where I was planting my feet! I was a bit distracted by the bug and since I'd already been soaking for more than 10 minutes (I was starting to get a bit shivery) I got out and got dressed and we loaded ourselves up with water. OD and I both packed as much as we could carry and I'm not sure how much he had, but I headed up the embankment with 4 litres of water. It was hot and dry, though, and I'd finished yet another half liter by the time we hit camp. And I'd filled my internal tanks best I could during our break at the creek. Glorious creek. That soaking pool is now one of my favorite all-time-soaking pools!

Once up at camp, we rested in the shade and cooled off. After this happened, we secured our gear, grabbed our emptier water bottles and headed off to find the creek that usually flows, apparently. Only this time, OD and I agreed the phrase that came to mind was "bone dry". We radioed to the guys that they would have to bring water up since we would not have enough on the amount we managed to haul into camp.

The radios were handy, and though we tried desperately to see the guys at one point, they were VERY far away and without decent zooms, we just could not make them out - even with them apparently flaunting the UFO-visible pack cover!

OD and I spent a lovely late afternoon and early evening chatting away happily until the guys hauled themselves up to camp.

I've never seen them so spent! It was rather cute. The dinner was relatively entertaining with random groans and yipes as one part or another either cramped up or was stiff and whiny. My wonky ankle wouldn't have made it, but even if I were in top shape, I think I would have had trouble keeping up! And the dirt! Recall the burned out bits of forest they went through? Well think charcoal dust. Black dust, not the usual light colored dust... And we were at a dry camp, so there was a bit of "baby wipe" and toweling action... I, in contrast, felt tremendously clean and happy, even after hiking a couple miles past my lovely soak in Illilouette! smiling smiley

The night was utterly glorious. Though I was bummed not to see any bats, I was happy to see the entirety of Scorpius and really didn't get much else before falling asleep... When I awoke around midnight for another bio-break, the Milky Way was lovely. It had been breezy in the evening, and cool, but never cold and I was quite warm all night. So quiet where we were, so soothing, slept really soundly until morning was well underway.

After breakfast, OD and I said goodbye to the bird-brains and wished them well. We wandered back along the trail... and ran into the tail end of a large group from back east at the Ililouette junction towards GP. We chatted with the last guy, very nice. They were going to camp at LYV and hike up to Clouds Rest. OD encouraged them to go to the far end of the ridge from their approach (the traditional approach from Sunrise) so they could walk on the "knife edge" and get a better sense for the drop and sheer expanse of granite. I heartily agreed! Then after that hiker left, a lady walked up from the trail we'd just travelled and stopped and asked me if we knew each other. She sort of looked familiar, but I really couldn't remember. She was from SF. Names didn't ring bells... I told her maybe she'd seen me on the trail before, as I was out there relatively often, but no bells with that either... She'd been out since the previous Saturday... and after a few minutes her husband arrived and I immediately remembered that we'd run into each other the previous Saturday when Basilbop and I were hiking out to the Mono Meadow Trailhead! It was just before the junction to Buena Vista Lake, which was their first destination! Oh, we spent some time catching up on their trip, which ended up being a big loop to Buck Camp and around and back over Merced Pass. What a coincidence to see the same hikers going in and out over a span of 9 days! OD and I saw them on and off as we worked our way to the trailhead.

Of course we stopped at the pool... And though I tried to talk myself into just pushing along to the car and getting to the Valley for a soak... as we were sitting by that lovely pool, I thought to myself that even though it was early, this pristine pool was even better than what I hoped to find in the Valley. And with great company, but without crowds! How perfect! So, yet again, OD waited patiently for me to get as much of the water as I could stand. And he admitted the bugs weren't carnivorous, which I'd already figured out, so I was just watching the little fish swim around pleasantly unconcerned... When I was shivery, I got out and dried off and started to dress, and I realized the day was warming up and the biggest climb of the day was next up... So I put my shirt on and walked right back into the water to do a complete douse again. This time, i just got dressed wet! Natural air-conditioning! The breeze made it a bit nippy until we got going, but I was drying out quickly and was thankful for the cooling as we were encountered very little shade on the way up... but it's so well-graded, and we'd eaten and hydrated so well, that we both cruised up without difficulty and one snack stop.

At the crossing of the creek which originates near Horizon Ridge, I just poured water over my now-dry shirt to prepare for the final 300 feet up to the car. Worked out well!

Overall, it seemed multiples easier than it had last weekend, and I think the cooler temps, the shorter distances, the fact my ankle wasn't complaining - all added up to a pleasantly easy walk! Once at the car, OD and I took our time and got lost in time chatting away... We decided since the cooler had managed to keep the diet coke icy cold, we didn't need to hit GP so we drove straight down to the Valle, which was crowded, but not the worst I've ever seen. It was hot and we moseyed to Happy Isles where we met the birds who looked a bit knackered again, but they'd obviously had a lot of fun!

We finished the journey together at Priest Station, where I apparently provided the entertainment for the evening with my enthusiasm for my meal. I ordered well, and I enjoyed it! smiling smiley

Great trip, would do it again in a heartbeat! Though I love the high country, I must say this mid-elevation stuff is really soothing and enjoyable! And as long as I get to soak in cool clear water and sleep under the stars, I'm a truly happy camper!

We won't be seeing Yosemite for a couple of weekends, but I'm looking forward to my birthday trip to Sequoia!
July 16, 2013 11:36PM
Thanks for the two trips reports from the A and B teams! Also loved the photos from the A team, but since the two teams took separate routes to and from the camp, what happened to the photos from the B team? Would love to see those photos too!

July 17, 2013 07:05AM
Um, well... Over the years I've gotten spoiled with BB being the shutterbug!

And, well.. Um... I'm really hoping the shots OD took of me soaking in the pool stay private! The refraction of the water wasn't kind*... And I wouldn't want to blind anyone with my pale skin! no, stop, enough!

* though I now have great contrast pics between the "tea" colored water of Kauai's Lonomea and the utterly clear Sierra water. Guess which I enjoyed more?!
July 17, 2013 07:33AM
Loved both reports...thanx to both of you. I think I'd have been more inclined to accompany the B team (especially after having had one of my closer calls with a particularly steep downhill slope in Canyonlands earlier this year, steep slippery rocks are not high on my list of to-do's right now! White flag ). If not photos, could we at least have GPS tracks of the two different routes? Pretty please?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 07:34AM by DavidK42.
July 17, 2013 08:23AM
To accompany the B team, you must like to chat! And laugh. And generally enjoy yourself! And you must either enjoy water or be happy to sit by and wait while I enjoy the water! smiling smiley I love hard hikes, but lately, I'm getting spoiled with all the lovely rivers, lakes and creeks I've been able to take the time to dip into. Technically, it's "cold-water" therapy to fight inflammation so I *have* to do it...

And on the steep walled stuff... yah, there can be moments... And desert slickrock can be treacherous. So can different types of granite. It's amazing how the different compositions and weathering of granite translate to a wide range of grip. To tilt the odds in my favor, right now I'm loving my La Sportiva Ultra Raptors with the stickiest rubber they put on their trail runners. Makes a huge difference for me. There was a moment apparently where BB managed to get across a crack with his La Sportiva Wildcats, but chick-on's shoes weren't grippy enough. That man has already worn out another pair of shoes! smiling smiley Actually, both their shoes looked pretty worn out Saturday night. I think they're both going to have to get replacements soon. I LOVE shoe shopping, but oddly, only for outdoor shoes.

I'll see about our tracks, but nothing special for us: Mono Meadows TH to Illilouette Creek. Upstream to pool. Across ford, junction with the trail that heads to Lower and Upper Merced Pass Lakes/Ottoway Lake. Head right at next junction to keep heading towards Merced Pass. Find a happy campsite. Mostly dry camping for a long time up this way until you get close to the creek again. But lots of options out there if you pack water. Reverse on way out.
July 17, 2013 02:02PM
July 19, 2013 05:28PM
Thanks, chick-on. Since I've only been through parts of that area and most of those parts only once, the tracks, combined with the the A & B teams' excellent TRs, make it much easier for me to visualize the routes in my mind.
July 19, 2013 10:30PM
Fantastic trip report!
July 17, 2013 08:41AM
Fantastic report and beautiful photos! Whenever I'm at a creek or lake I'm torn between swimming and fishing, but at least I have options!

JustKeepWalking, did the bug you saw look like this?

The one on the left is the hatched version, there one on the right is the larvae husk. I took these last year on Illillouette when we were camping (and fishing). Trout love those little guys! They build little tubes underwater and attach pebbles, sticks, algare, etc to them and attach them to the rock. As you discovered, they're harmless.

Thanks for the reports you guys!
July 17, 2013 09:36AM
BB wasn't sure any of you would read my chatty long report, but some of you did! Yay! Thanks!

I tried really hard to see what it was, the light was being refracted in the water.. but I thought it looked like a tube and it had stuff sticking on it, definitely algae and earthy looking stuff, and i could only see two long "legs" though it may have been the antennae, now that I look at your photos. The tube seemed translucent and was definitely moving though! Maybe he was relocating his home? I hadn't taken my phone with me, even though it's waterproofed, so no pics, and I couldn't quite coax OD to come join me in the water, so it's just my memory here.. the body shape looks right, skinny, long, could easily fit in a tube. it wasn't particularly big, maybe an inch+ long? but again, refraction. My memory says the legs I saw were jointed and pulling the critter forward, and I can't seem to reconcile that with the photo though, come to think on it. I didn't pick it up, much less touch it. I was actually afraid to move around much by then, cuz I was afraid to squish some as yet unseen one. I guess it's not as much I don't like bugs as I don't like squishing bugs, especially unexpectedly.

OD knew about them, so maybe he can confirm?
July 17, 2013 01:34PM
JustKeepWalking
BB wasn't sure any of you would read my chatty long report, but some of you did! Yay! Thanks!

Are you kidding? I loved it!!!
July 17, 2013 02:07PM
JustKeepWalking

Heck yeah I read it. Thanks for writing it and taking us along (you too Basilbop!).
July 17, 2013 04:04PM
Thanks wherever and JasonS for the kind words! I'll try to flesh out BB's posts with the stronger images I remember. It's fun for me to relive them in my memory. I was apparently given a nickname on this trip, but I'm still trying to figure out all the implications...
July 17, 2013 01:42PM
A relative?

July 17, 2013 03:01PM
eeek
A relative?

What is that insect? We saw a lot of them two weekends ago when we were in Yosemite.
July 17, 2013 03:55PM
Does this one do the tube-shelter building underwater too? I'm kinda confused now... The only bug-like bits I saw were two "legs" pulling it along the rock, against the current, right at me! They seemed long. Might have been the antennae I saw in the first bug picture, with the legs hidden by algae... or it could be this one, if this one does the same kind of thing. I really thought "legs" and I could almost swear they were jointed... but they were small and spindly and reminded me all too much of spider legs... shudder...
July 17, 2013 04:12PM
Has anyone filled out one of these and turned it in when they spotted wildlife inside Yosemite National Park?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/upload/YOSE_wildfrm1and2_one%20page.%202008%20rev.pdf

July 17, 2013 04:45PM
Sad to say, didn't even know this card existed!

1. Any mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or invertebrate observation is useful. We are especially interested in rare and sensitive species, including amphibians, bats, mountain lions, fishers, and raptors; and nonnative species, including wild turkey, white-tailed ptarmigan, beaver, and bullfrog.

Yikes, I don't think I have enough time during a hike to document any/all observations! So.. let's see with the "rare and sensitive":
  • Sierra Newts - Hetch Hetchy on trail to Rancheria. Freaks me out, don't want to step on or skewer them!
  • Bats - often at evening on ridge above Glen Aulin
  • Mountain Lions - Never seen one. One paw print in mud at Thousand Island (outside of park), one in snow in Sequoia. Can't recall specific Yosemite prints
  • Fishers - sigh. no. not in Yosemite. Saw a ringtail in the eaves of the Mountain Room Lodge one Thanksgiving...not the same! sad smiley
  • Raptors - many. Especially enjoyed peregrine hunting at Vogelsang Lake. Pretty sure it was peregrine. Spotted under belly/wings, later heard a wind whoop, a thump, and a screech. Hunting.
  • Non-native - white tailed ptarmigan - oh golly, didn't know it was non-native and I don't pay very close to attention to the plumage on the grouse-y birds. I'm usually trying to get my heart rate under control again from being startled by them!

I'll save a copy of the form for future reference on my phone. I take notes on it during trips.

Thanks!
July 17, 2013 06:46PM
I almost filled one out a few weeks ago when my husband was fly fishing and a bat kept going after his fly. I could have describe the location but did not have a GPS or map on me to give an exact location. I did not see the bat and could not figure out what kind it was according to my husband's description so I felt the info was not of much use to the biologists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 06:47PM by parklover.
July 18, 2013 02:49PM
I obviously have not gone through the entire Yosemite NP section on the NPS website. 17 species of bats in Yosemite! Urk. I have no idea how I'd ID one of them unless it decided to land on me! smiling smiley
July 17, 2013 05:41PM
JustKeepWalking
Does this one do the tube-shelter building underwater too?

It was a long way from any water. I took the picture on the PCT at Mt. Islip in the San Gabriel Moutains.
July 17, 2013 05:50PM
The branching at the ends of the "feet" (?) don't look right. I recall the ends being tapered to points from what I could see. Ugh. I keep going back to look at the pictures of the pools of water instead of trying to remember the bug's legs.
October 04, 2016 12:44PM
Well, I ended up here after being redirected by the pink bird as I'm looking for a short 2-day hike in this area. Turns out my wife is a born angler (fisher-person?). She's educated me about these critters. They are Caddisfly larvae. More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddisfly

They wrap themselves in sticks and pebbles so they present themselves as a less tasty snack for fish. If you look in virtually any pool along Cherry Creek (all branches) you'll find them. They are pretty amusing when you can see them walking around with all their obfuscation on the granite creek bottom.

This may be what you saw, and may have been discussed in other posts, but thought I'd add here while I was reading about it.
July 17, 2013 02:13PM
For the 3D lubbers:

If you really like these... recommend hitting the "quote" button... snagging the link... and changing 1152 to 1600... open in new
window... and make it as big as you can on your compooper screen.

One more fun one...

Have fun

And, yeah, I doubt I'll repeat the Lake Former Known as Helen to LYV portion. (although I've looked at other routes up that-a-way... ) wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 17, 2013 02:49PM
The extra dimension make them out of this world.
July 17, 2013 03:51PM
Fabulous!!! Thank you!!!
July 17, 2013 04:14PM
Thanks for posting these 3D photos. As usual, they awesome!

July 17, 2013 04:33PM
Thanks basilbop and Just KeepWalking. Much appreciated. Just one question: By the time I join the A & B teams in August will there be anything left?Backpacker
July 17, 2013 04:48PM
Anything left of the teams? or the scenery?

Teams, not sure.. but at last count all bodies were holding up well, shoes not so much...

Scenery? LOTS! I have been saving northern Yosemite just for you! smiling smiley It's another reason why Basilbop and I, at least, are going to Sequoia for my birthday! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 04:48PM by JustKeepWalking.
July 18, 2013 08:56AM
JustKeepWalking
Anything left of the teams? or the scenery?

Teams, not sure.. but at last count all bodies were holding up well, shoes not so much...

Scenery? LOTS! I have been saving northern Yosemite just for you! smiling smiley It's another reason why Basilbop and I, at least, are going to Sequoia for my birthday! smiling smiley

I meant any Yosemite left. Just kidding of course. Not worried about the teams holding up. I'm counting the days.
Anyway, enjoy your birthday in Sequoia.
Jim
July 18, 2013 10:26AM
Thanks for posting your trip and have a very Happy Birthday in Sequoia.
July 18, 2013 02:52PM
You are most welcome and thanks for the birthday wishes!
July 17, 2013 08:32PM
Purty sure the "Surprise" you get will not be any empty lakes.
That is... unless atomicmonkey cannonballs his stones into any of the lakes and
they empty out from the big spa-loosh... tongue sticking out smiley

July 17, 2013 05:33PM
Very cool. Some of those swimming holes look unreal. My wife says that backpacking is an excuse to go swimming. She loved the photos. Climbing Starr King is on my to-do list for this summer... gotta dust off my climbing rope and rack.
July 21, 2013 10:29AM
Nice TR, any shots of Starr King (the part you didnt go up) from the saddle?
July 22, 2013 03:01PM
ryanmj

Put some here for you:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Starr

One for the non clickers:

There's another 3D one in there too for those who love that stuff.

July 22, 2013 05:18PM
chick-on
ryanmj

Put some here for you:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Starr

One for the non clickers:

There's another 3D one in there too for those who love that stuff.

did you consider going up? happen to look for rappel anchors? I think its only a 3 pitch ordeal but im not sure if the rap's are bolted
July 22, 2013 08:42PM
ryanmj
did you consider going up? happen to look for rappel anchors? I think its only a 3 pitch ordeal but im not sure if the rap's are bolted

Of course he did... He even tested the first few moves of the first pitch. smiling smiley
July 22, 2013 08:40PM
July 23, 2013 08:51AM
Loving those photosynths! Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login