Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Agnew to Tuolumne-Suggested Campsites and other Helpful Suggestions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Agnew to Tuolumne-Suggested Campsites and other Helpful Suggestions
July 22, 2013 06:24PM
Mid August, a group of 4 of us will be heading up the Shadow Creek Trail from Agnew Meadows. I was thinking that we could get to Garnet lake the first night? Or is this too ambitious? My group and I are not the well-muscled backpacking experts many of you are and while the 7 or 8 miles wouldn't be too bad with a day pack, I'm just not sure given that it will be doable. There's about a 1700 foot elevation gain.

Then onto perhaps the Marie Lake Junction for the second night and the Ireland Creek Junction for the third night.

Our schedules permit only a three night, four day trip.

By my calculations total mileage is only 26.3.

Where are the best campsites for views and bugs? Although I imagine the mosquitos will be done by then.
July 22, 2013 07:26PM
Beautiful area.

why go all the way from Marie to Ireland?
Instead, stop north of Donahue Pass at the lake at 10,200 ft (after the JMT crosses the stream at the lake outlet)
IMHO much better high country scenery up there than just the forested /meadows view down lower. Depends on what you like.
The distance from this 10,200 spot to your Tuolumne exit is about 10 miles . Have done this multiple times going southbound and climbing. You should have no trouble doing those 10 miles going northbound as it is some descent as you come out of Lyell Canyon and then flat cruising in Tuolumne Meadows
July 25, 2013 12:02PM
Since that's Muir Trail, you'll find many books and web resources to help with trip planning. If you're concerned about your group's hiking ability, maybe consider the River or High Trail to Thousand Island Lake vicinity to get a little farther with less effort on your first day. If you stick with your plan for Garnet, best camping is up the north shore.
July 25, 2013 06:14PM
Yes, I have two books and have looked up lots of Youtube hikers videos of this section of the JMT and other web resources. Just thought I could get some different thoughts from those of you who have done this stretch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login