Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Cathedral to Echo and beyond Route?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Cathedral to Echo and beyond Route?
July 24, 2013 01:36PM
Hi there, tried searching but only found vague references to an easy XC route from the Cathedral Lakes area to Echo. I'll be in TM in September for a week trip with my wife. Last year we explored Lyell Canyon and this year I want to head out TM, and heading down and looping back up Fletcher Creek. Anyway, I'm looking to fill in my first few days out of TM. I'd like an easy first night at Cathedral Lakes, and from there I really want to hit Echo, but am not 100% on how to get there. Once there, best way out back to a marked trail? I've got the Nat Geo map but I'm not up for full orienteering since it's been a while since I earned that merit badge...
avatar Re: Cathedral to Echo and beyond Route?
July 24, 2013 01:58PM
Don't really need any ornaments. Just follow Cathedral Fork of Echo Crk... from Cathedral Pass...
past Echo Lake... and keep following it... and you'll run into the trail to Echo Valley...

There's a use trail that has developed in the last 5 years or so... it's on the east side of the creek.

You may find some useful maps and whatnot here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39233,39233#msg-39233

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 25, 2013 10:41AM
Ok thanks I'll check that out.
July 27, 2013 11:00AM
As chick-on says, just follow the creek below Echo Lake for approximately one mile. If you are about 150'-200' from the stream you will run right into the Echo Creek trail exactly where it makes a sharp 90 degree turn to the south.
July 28, 2013 07:36AM
For first time do that... imho. Then you can work your way to more intense stuff.
That route is very simple. For me... when we did a backpacktrip on trail many years
ago we were camped at the bend that tomdisco mentions... well.. just above it...
and had this crazy goal of touching every named lake. So I simply followed the creek
up and ... wow... wow... wow... when the woods opened up and Matthes and Echo
hit me... it was so amazing that had to go back to where we camped and get the
wife ... "honey, you HAVE to come see this".
Of course if you look at a map you can see that it's fairly trivial to get to (Echo Lake)
via Cathedral Pass. So much so went there when Tioga was open really late.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50166,50166#msg-50166

Anywho. Be safe and have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 29, 2013 11:07AM
Here's what you have to look forward to at Echo Lake.

August 05, 2013 03:23PM
What's the worst that could happen?? confused smiley I'll give the creek route a try. Thanks all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login