Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A Plan to Save Yosemite by Curbing Its Visitors

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar A Plan to Save Yosemite by Curbing Its Visitors
July 29, 2013 03:24PM
The National Park Service is proposing a significant makeover of Yosemite National Park that would change the way future generations of visitors experienced the park, especially the seven-mile-long Yosemite Valley at its heart. The Park Service’s plan would restore more than 200 acres of meadows, reorganize transportation and reduce traffic congestion. To shrink the human presence along the Merced River, park officials are also proposing closing nearby rental facilities for bicycling, horseback riding and rafting, and removing swimming pools, an ice rink and a stone bridge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/us/plan-for-yosemite-calls-for-scaling-back-human-activity.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=0
July 29, 2013 07:11PM
Another example of "You can't please all of the people, all of the time."
avatar Re: A Plan to Save Yosemite by Curbing Its Visitors
July 29, 2013 07:44PM
It won't happen any time soon. Too many people are making a profit off of the Park as it is now. Our congressman wants to make another Disneyland out of the Valley.

My way of restoring the Valley; first remove the beer/pizza deck and other crap like that. Then restore the terminal moraine that caused the upper end of the Valley to flood each spring. That's what kept the trees out of the meadows. You can see the moraine I'm talking about if you park at the second pullout on the left just past Bridalveil straight.
July 29, 2013 07:48PM
Now you did it.

Old Dude
July 30, 2013 06:49PM
mrcondron
Now you did it.
It could have been worse. I could have spoke my mind without censoring myself. Llama
July 29, 2013 11:51PM
Dave
Our congressman wants to make another Disneyland out of the Valley.

Tram to Glacier Point anyone?
July 30, 2013 12:08AM
eeek
Dave

High speed elevators from Curry Village to Glacier Point.

Tram from Mirror Lake to Half Dome.

Gondolas from Tunnel View to the top of El Cap.

Zip line from Glacier Point to Yosemite Village.

(I think that just about covers it.)

wink

July 30, 2013 11:46AM
plawrence
eeek
Dave

High speed elevators from Curry Village to Glacier Point.

Tram from Mirror Lake to Half Dome.

Gondolas from Tunnel View to the top of El Cap.

Zip line from Glacier Point to Yosemite Village.

(I think that just about covers it.)

wink

http://books.google.com/books?id=aQhXHQAACAAJ&sitesec=reviews
August 01, 2013 01:04PM
Money rules?

That is probably accurate. But solving whatever the "problem" is by taking away things like the ice rink, bike rides, and raft rentals is just silly. If those things make it "Disneyland" then sign me up for "Disneyland North". Hopefully, it won't happen anytime soon.
August 01, 2013 02:48PM
chicagocwright
Money rules?

That is probably accurate. But solving whatever the "problem" is by taking away things like the ice rink, bike rides, and raft rentals is just silly. If those things make it "Disneyland" then sign me up for "Disneyland North". Hopefully, it won't happen anytime soon.

I agree that removing things like the ice rink, bikes, rafts, etc does not make sense and does not do much to improve things environmentally. The ice rink is not near the river so I can't see where it's removal will help river ecology. However, it is in the area where they want to put parking in for the new employee residences they want to build. Riding a bike is good exercise and a great way to see the valley without using a car which cuts down on pollution and traffic. With the raft rentals a shuttle comes and picks you and the raft up therefore multiple rafters and rafts can be picked up in one trip, which means less vehicles than if people used their own rafts.

I doubt the changes are going to be any time soon.
July 30, 2013 07:34PM
Stop raft rentals? We counted the rafters at 30$ a head one day for about an hour and it was well over $10,000. Doubt they will stop that anytime soon
July 30, 2013 08:14PM
It is not about the money made or lost but the fact that the parties that sued want less amenities in the park, less lodging and less people.
July 31, 2013 07:13AM
parklover
It is not about the money made or lost but the fact that the parties that sued want less amenities in the park, less lodging and less people.

Yes, but money rules.
July 31, 2013 09:15AM
Very true. Otherwise, why are prices for lodging in Yosemite much higher than comparable lodging in other parks we have gone to. I don't fall for their supply and demand reasons since the other parks I am speaking of are also high demand parks. We will have to wait and see how all this plays out. Final decision has been delayed to the end of the year for the Merced River Plan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 09:16AM by parklover.
July 31, 2013 09:28AM
I heard that DNC is reluctant to make any improvements to the Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, namely putting in composting toilets, until they know whether or not they will have to remove some of the tent cabins to comply with the Tuolumne River Plan. The leach field there is not sufficient to handle too many flushes. Maybe that will be the compromise. Let DNC keep all the tents cabins there for the revenue and DNC will put in composting toilets to help keep the river clean.
August 02, 2013 06:58PM
If I had a say, they would get rid of all the high Sierra camps.
August 02, 2013 09:43PM
On a practical note, restoring the Valley's meadows by redirecting the traffic on boardwalks is a must. I was shocked at all of the foot traffic/damage that I saw this last Sunday: kids were playing tag, and the folks were stamping out a "nice" pic-a-nic area void of any of those nasty grasses.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
August 02, 2013 10:16PM
That's a real pity that too many visitors to Yosemite are clueless about this. As the result, the Park Service will inevitably erect those view wrecking fences with "Area closed for rehabilitation" signs posted every 20 feet. That wouldn't need to happen if park visitors were far more considerate of their surroundings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login