Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: May Lake to Glen Aulin to Waterwheel Falls

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR: May Lake to Glen Aulin to Waterwheel Falls
July 30, 2013 04:10PM
Bear with me. This is my first attempt at posting photos.

Started out from Tioga Road and in an hour or so, this marmot was signaling to the others that I was approaching May Lake.

Set up the tent with a great view of the lake.

Since I was hiking solo and not being the anti-social type, I ate my meals in the High Sierra Camps. That night at May Lake was pasta night. (The following nights were better. Salmon and pork roast at Glen Aulin).

Lovely lazy afternoon just chilling at May Lake.

The next morning, first one out of camp after a hearty breakfast at the High Sierra Camp. This is one of my favorite spots on the trail from May Lake to Glen Aulin. A high and windy hill, no mosquitos, and a view down to Glen Aulin.

I love wildflowers and the wet rock gardens along this stretch of the trail were full of blooms. This is an alpine lily.

After fighting the mosquitos in the forested portion of the May Lake to Glen Aulin trail, I finally arrive at the White Cascade.

Sunset turns the Tuolumne River pink at Glen Aulin.

The next morning, with just a daypack, I started off to Waterwheel Falls. I have to say that without the help of the rest of you, I might have confused LeConte Falls with Waterwheel Falls.

So here are just a few nice scenes along the trail.
]

Arrived at the Waterwheels. I didn't want to get any closer to the edge than that. The best footage I got is on video.

You can see it was a dry year and the waterwheels weren't wheeling as much, but the hike was very enjoyable with fantastic scenery and not nearly as strenuous as I had been led to believe.

Some sections were a lovely flat stroll.

A bit of LeConte Falls on the way back up.

And a nice cool granite pool.

I just liked the way the river looked like an infinity pool.

And almost back to Glen Aulin. The Waterwheel Falls are well past that promontory point on the right side of the canyon.

I had two great nights at Glen Aulin with a lot of interesting, fun people to talk to in the evenings. There were two groups of women who adopted me for the evening. (I like being alone during the day, but at night it's nice to have a friendly group to talk with around the hot chocolate jug.) I met a woman whom I'd shared a tent cabin with a couple of years ago at Merced Lake High Sierra Camp. High Sierra hikers are a great bunch.

One last stop at the prettiest spot in Tuolumne Meadows before heading back to the road.

avatar Re: TR: May Lake to Glen Aulin to Waterwheel Falls
July 30, 2013 04:27PM
Great stuff. Thanks for posting.
July 30, 2013 04:39PM
Glad that you decided to post your photos and a trip report.

You're photos were great! They had your unique perspective of the falls, May Lake, Glen Aulin and TM.

Thanks for taking the time to share them!

July 30, 2013 04:50PM
Thanks. It took a couple of hours to figure it out.

But I wanted to thank whichever of you posted the difference between LeConte and Waterwheels. I remembered that LeConte had the island with a tree in the middle. I was able to use that information to tell other hikers that they were not at Waterwheel Falls yet, they were at LeConte. Waterwheel is only about another half mile down.

Next trip report later in August after I do a section of the JMT (assuming the smoke from the Aspen fire doesn't change our plans).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 04:51PM by Mom.
September 24, 2015 01:24AM
That's a great point. The credit for our group heading up to Water Wheel goes to JKW and BasilPop (to a lesser extent winking smiley ). Hoping to do May Lakes to Glen Aulin and Tioga Pass in October as I did Tioga Pass to Glen Aulin and the falls two years back.
[Hat Tip] Bowing to his greatness Ran into JKW and BasilP at California Falls two years back and they were of tremendous help. Chick-on was helpful w a lot of other info too smiling smiley
July 30, 2013 05:53PM
Bowing to his greatness

Tanks Mom

(ok, I'll do a butter job of posting more detailed trip reports and other tupid stuff)

Here's some discussions on Waterwheel / LeConte:

Discussion about what is what with map and photos and other stuff:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,26924,26924#msg-26924

Another one with links and other stuff to waste your time if so inclined:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,39023,39023#msg-39023

And Mom's discussion last year of Waterwheel Falls (still going "Doh! for calling it WaterwheelS)
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,49947,49947#msg-49947

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 30, 2013 06:17PM
I'd forgotten I'd posted questions last year about going to Waterwheel. Last year, I couldn't beg my way into two nights at GA for our party of four. We didn't get to Waterwheel or LeConte.

This hike has been on my lists of 'must do' hikes ever since I saw the late Huell Howser ride a horse down to LeConte Falls on his "California's Gold" program.
July 31, 2013 12:40PM
Sweet report! Thanks for the taking the time to post it. I took a similar trip a few years ago, but unfortunately I did stop at Le Conte, wrongly believing it to be Waterwheel. I guess it gives me a reason to go back. I enjoyed following along and remembering some of the sights from that past trip. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login