Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Is This a Trail?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 05, 2013 11:35AM
My friend noticed in our photos of Half Dome taken from Mt. Watkins and North Dome that there looks like a stepped trail that descends the north side of the sub dome that you climb before Half Dome. There's an overview picture with the "trail" marked and a close-up from North Dome. From Mt. Watkins it appears to intersect the trail to Half Dome. Is this a real trail or are we being faked out by a natural formation? For scale you can see a couple of people in the upper left corner of the second image.

August 05, 2013 11:57AM
That is what I believe is a called an intrusion layer. You should be able to find similar all over the park.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 05, 2013 01:56PM
Chick-on is correct, it is also called a dike. It's basically when molten rock intrudes into a fracture in already solidified rock.
August 05, 2013 03:28PM
Old Dave
...........when molten rock intrudes into a fracture in already solidified rock.

I heard this is why gold is found in veins.
August 06, 2013 06:56PM
JasonS
Old Dave
...........when molten rock intrudes into a fracture in already solidified rock.
I heard this is why gold is found in veins.
Gold in veins like this would be from mineral laden hot water, not molten rock. I can't see it too well, but I believe the crack in the picture is quartz, not gold bearing, that filled in a crack caused by other forces. Since this happens a mile or so underground, the water would be above the atmospheric boiling point.
August 06, 2013 04:55PM
August 06, 2013 09:02PM
ryanmj
trail

for you...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login