Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A few pics from my June trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A few pics from my June trip
August 08, 2013 09:00PM
Big thanks to all of you who have posted long and detailed trip reports lately. Hats off to you! I enjoy reading them and I think it is helpful for those who are planning trips.

This however is not such a detailed report, just a handful of pictures that I took on a trip in late June of this year.
Came in on Amtrak/YARTS from the Bay Area and arrived midday in the Valley without a set plan. Decided in line at the Wilderness Center that I would go up the Snowcreek trail and camp at the top, on to Watkins, Tenaya Lake and camp along Murphy Creek, up Sunrise trail to Clouds Rest, dry camp beyond, next day do Half Dome and camp the last night on Moraine Dome. It was mostly familiar territory, but I tried to explore something that was new to me on each of the days.

Here is my tent at the top of Snowcreek. When I got my permit the ranger told me that there was an active bear that had been rolling bear cans off the cliff. I put my can in some prickly bushes and that was apparently enough to deter the bear. Other cans at neighboring camps had obviously been rolled around.

Here is the view from my tent at the top of Snowcreek. I think those are called the Watkin Pinnacles.

Next day I hung out for a long time at the top of Watkins. Also decided to try to learn wild flower names so took a bunch of photos but none of them came out very well. Camped up Murphy Creek and on the way back to Tenaya Lake the next morning I did a little lost trail exploration.

The trail from outlet of Tenaya to where the switch backs start is kind of boring, so I stepped off the trail and explored along the creek.
Went to the edge of the Tenaya Canyon, but no further. Here I am looking at Pywiack Cascade I think. Edit: correction, that is Tenaya Creek. Edit: second correction, it is Tenaya Bowl.

Even though this photo doesn't show it, the trail to Clouds Rest was quite busy with people. It seems to have become a popular alternative to Half Dome.

Half Dome, tomorrow's destination, as seen from the Clouds Rest.

Dry camped next to the Pinnacles. Nice developed camp site, but lucked out and had it to myself. Next morning Half Dome greeted me again.

The climb up Half Dome has lots of great views, even before you get to the top. Here I am looking back into Tenaya Canyon.

Wasn't very busy on the cables. Everybody was super friendly, cooperative and encouraged anybody feeling scared (like me.) I hadn't done the cables in twenty years and somehow that rock has gotten a lot steeper winking smiley
No pic, but I spent the last night all alone under the stars atop Moraine Dome (shout-out to AlmostThere who suggested it as an alternative destination to Half Dome.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 08:59AM by KatyAnderson.
August 09, 2013 08:53AM
KatyAnderson

The trail from outlet of Tenaya to where the switch backs start is kind of boring, so I stepped off the trail and explored along the creek.
Went to the edge of the Tenaya Canyon, but no further. Here I am looking at Pywiack Cascade I think.

That's not Pywiack Cascade, it's just Tenaya Creek. Pywiack isn't really visible on the way up to Cloud's Rest, but you should have gotten a great view of it from Mt. Watkins.
August 09, 2013 11:05AM
Thanks Buster! Looking at the map again I realize that Pywiack is way further down. As you say this must just be Tenaya Creek.
avatar Re: A few pics from my June trip
August 12, 2013 05:34PM
August 13, 2013 09:01AM
I stand corrected "Tenaya Bowl" it is. The knowledge on this site is amazing - thank you!
avatar Re: A few pics from my June trip
August 09, 2013 01:20PM
Hi Katy, nice pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like I covered a lot of the same ground you did.
August 14, 2013 11:31AM
Thanks for sharing the pics!
August 14, 2013 01:57PM
Been meaning to thank you, too! Great shots! Good on you for taking that variation on where to stay! Woo hoo!

BTW, over the last few weeks, been seeing a lot of pics of Half Dome cables for a variety of reasons... Before/after lottery shots are what get me. We did it a long while ago, pre-lottery, cables were packed. We couldn't get down *inside* the cables and went down on the outside (away from edge). Now it looks ever so much more reasonable! smiling smiley
August 14, 2013 06:59PM
Looks like a great trip and that last stretch on Cloud's Rest can certainly be unnerving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login